It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Schwarzenegger brings muscle to RNC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California gave a fiery speech praising President Bush; showing that there is room in the party for opposing viewpoints, and highlighting his achievement of the American dream.

news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK (AFP) - Action hero turned politician Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) delivered Republicans some Hollywood muscle with a punchy speech for George W. Bush that tweaked his most famous movie line: "America is back!"

A megastar with giant biceps and the popular appeal to match, the Austrian-born California governor used his star turn on day two of the party convention to praise Bush's handling of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

"America is back! Back from the attack on our homeland, back from the attack on our economy, back from the attack on our way of life," he said in advance excerpts of his much-awaited speech.

"We're back because of the perseverance, character and leadership of the 43rd president of the United States, George W. Bush," he said.

Schwarzenegger's differences from Bush and other party hard-liners on issues such as abortion keep him out of the Republican mainstream, but have made him a key draw in what has been a closely-fought election duel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Governator is a rising force within the Republican party. In California he has broad bi-partisan support and has worked effectively to solve the state problems. He reminds me alot of Reagan with an accent. He is typical of moderate Republicans (such as myself) who chart a much more central course on a wide variety of issues.

[edit on 8-31-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What I want to see is him killing 60 violent gun tooting democrats without taking a scratch!!

YEAH ARNOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLD!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This post is far too partisan.

Oh, and you're posting this before it has even finished?

If you READ the speech from a bipartisan standpoint... he is choking on stage,

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
How did this get up in the past tense before he's even off stage?

This is supposed to be the RNC night of

PEOPLE OF COMPASSION

And he calls anyone that criticises Bush's economic policies GIRLIE MEN.

Then he has the AUDACITY to invoke the name of NELSON MANDELA when CHENEY VOTED AGAINST THE RESOLUTION TO DEMAND HIS RELEASE FROM PRISON.

Sham convention of hate and lies.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

"America is back! Back from the attack on our homeland, back from the attack on our economy, back from the attack on our way of life," he said in advance excerpts of his much-awaited speech.

Since when did Iraq attack America ?

Who attacked thier economy ?

Everyone attacks the American culture, so what ?

Deep

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Just talking about a Republican killing Democrats tells me all I need to know about the division of the United States.

One American indeed.

And btw, I would chastise any Democrat who talked about killing Republicans too.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Nerdling, what political post is not partisan? From a Republican standpoint, The Governator came off great. He has an approval rating sitting at 65%. Is he polished? No, Is he as slick as Kerry? No, But that is his appeal by and large. Don't forget the democrat pundits predicted he would never win, that he would be a disaster etc etc, but that has not come to pass. He has a huge future in the Republican party.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What's scary is that Austrian accent saying, "Back from the attack on our homeland"

Deutschland?

What I want to see is him killing 60 violent gun tooting democrats without taking a scratch!!

YEAH ARNOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLD!!!!!!!!

Gun toting democrats? Aren't they weak on defense and want to take away your guns?

[edit on 31-8-2004 by curme]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
He also said that the guy who decided him to become a Republican is Richard Nixon.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
on the one hand, you have a scary image of arnold whipping his audience into a patriotic frenzy, chanting "USA! USA! USA!"... yuck.... why do political parties in america try to convince the country that they're the most patriotic? bah.. subject for another post...

on the other, you have the fact that he made a nod towards the more moderate elements of the republican party. something that i was expecting mccain and giuliani to do, but which neither did. thumbs up to arnie for that.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I still want to see him kill 60 democrats with his bare hands.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
on the other, you have the fact that he made a nod towards the more moderate elements of the republican party. something that i was expecting mccain and giuliani to do, but which neither did. thumbs up to arnie for that.

-koji K.

Most people just hear the Ultra Right wing. Alas alot of Republicans are not. A good percentage take a moderate bent. It was good to see Arnold talk about room in the party for everyone. If the Republicans loose us moderates, they are in deep kim chi!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I still won't believe he's in charge of anything until he bursts out of a birthday cake with a couple of machine guns.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The part I don't get is how someone so moderate...and so obviously opposite key moral, religous issue key to Bush...can still be someone that Bush Republicans want to get behind. He/Arnold may want to talk about "girlie men" but he's a close friend of Siegfried and Roy, pro-gay rights, married to a Kennedy and a womanizer. How can Republicans get behind that?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Nerdling, what political post is not partisan? From a Republican standpoint, The Governator came off great. He has an approval rating sitting at 65%. Is he polished? No, Is he as slick as Kerry? No, But that is his appeal by and large. Don't forget the democrat pundits predicted he would never win, that he would be a disaster etc etc, but that has not come to pass. He has a huge future in the Republican party.

You didn't even bother to wait till the speech was finished.

Don't forget the democrat pundits predicted he would never win, that he would be a disaster etc etc

Where did you get that from??? EVERYONE knew Arnold was going to easily pick up California because he was the only candidate that people really knew.

He's more slick and polished than Kerry actually, look at him, he's a walking manicure. And by the sounds of that accent he's been in speech training to make him more american.

Looking at the speech from a bipartistan standpoint he dropped several major clangers and commited faux pas. He continually referred to his past and how he knew nothing of America but to vote Republican. He used Nixon as a "good" example. He used continuous references to soldiers and 911 which really isn't going to swing. He made references to evil communists whilst his daddy was a fascist.

His speech was only eclipsed by the Bush girls speech, Deer in the headlings imho.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by koji_K

-koji K.

Most people just hear the Ultra Right wing. Alas alot of Republicans are not. A good percentage take a moderate bent. It was good to see Arnold talk about room in the party for everyone. If the Republicans loose us moderates, they are in deep kim chi!

But what I don't get is that the Republicans do seem to have their cake and eat it too. They play to the moderates and get the vote. They pay to the ultra-conservative and get their votes. How come no one sees this as hypocricy?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Arnold, is an imigrant that has made it good! His story of the Russian occupation, and his desire to come to America, c'mon, that is good stuff! I think he spoke more of how America is such a great country, and had to include Bush because that is his key to talk to America. I think the Nixon comment was a stretch. Overall, I think Arnold did an okay job for who he really is....

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Has Arnold killed anyone yet?

No?!! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit���.. this is boring.

Come on, he must at least have thrown the democrats right hand man off a cliff?! No? WTF? Ahh....... I see, he's playing it safe with a fake ID an then he's gonny wait until a critical assembly and it all come to a point and then BAM!

Neck snapped with one punch. Good choice.

Professional.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Is it just me or did Arnolds speach sound like a Nazi pep rally?

At least it was better than the Bush sisters speech. That was horable

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
personly I thought aronald as Govner? naaa he wont be able to do the job he may win because everone knows him but do the job never.
Boy was i wrong in a BIG way not only is he doing the job but hes doing better then any one has in a LONG LONG time. He has the guts to Stand up and TELL these over blowen politisions What WILL be done.
No he isent polished And yes he says some uncoth thing (girly man lol
But he does what he sees will help fix the problems in cal and DONT get in his way . I like him .
Ps would you want the constution changed so a person Not born in the USA could be presedint? Rember his movie? lol
Wile I think he makes a great govner I dont think it would be a good idea to have him as presedent knowing his peoples back round.
But I could be wrong .Do you think hed make a good presedent?

new topics

top topics

join