It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Write a Good First Online Dating Message

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I know a lot of you have tried online dating. I can be tough right? Well, here are some tips that will help you get past that initial barrier that is often hard to get past. If you're not having any success you may be surprised how many things you're doing wrong!

Source: Dating A Geek

Writing a good online dating message is one of the best things that you can do to increase your success in online dating. Before a person sees your picture, or visits your profile, the first thing that they will notice is your message. Are you funny? Boring? The same as every other message? Are you talking to them directly or is this another one of your mass emails to hundreds of other women? Basically, is this someone I want to invest my time responding to? All of these things can be determined by your very first online dating message. Here are a few tips to help you stand out of the crowd.

Have a sense of humor.
Even if you’re not a funny person, try to be anyway. Humor is a universal attractive switch. Think about it. If you have the choice of being with someone who has a sense of humor, and someone who doesn’t, who will you pick? Exactly. Just remember to keep it obvious that you’re joking. Telling a girl that her outfit reminds you of something your grandmother would wear online isn’t the same as saying it with a smile offline. So, save the questionable teasing for later, but definitely do try to make her smile.

Do not compliment them on their looks.
As a guy, one of the worst things you can do is compliment a woman about her looks right off the bat. Your attitude should be that beauty is common, and that you’re interested in her as a person. Often women will get the impression that you’re only interested in sex, even if your intent was just to be “nice.” The same holds true for you women. Talking about looks in an initial online dating message comes across as being vain. Instead, compliment them on something they’re wearing, and if you can make it funny, even better.
For instance: I couldn’t help noticing those sweet heart shaped glasses that you’re wearing. You know, I used to have a pair myself but they went missing a few days ago. Oh my god, I just realized what happened, you stole them didn’t you!? . . . continued at source

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I once read that even if people skip over what you've written and dont pay any attention whasoever to the garbage that you've spent hours composing, that they will always without exception read a PS attached to the end - which in this case should be an open question.

P.S. When was the last time you read advice as good as this?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
(This post is for the doods)

A good rule of thumb (and it works with just about anything in life):

Do what everyone else isn't doing. If the majority are doing one thing, just do the opposite.

Be cocky and funny. Make your profile funny and fun to read. Write things that conjure up fun, outgoing, adventurous and exciting thoughts. Even stupid things like in the "What I Do For Fun" section...just put "CLIMB TREES"

What you definitely shouldn't do is send signals that lower your value. Don't seem needy or desperate. Just have fun with it.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Good comments fellas.
It looks like we have some that are aware of the game which is always good to see.

edit on 28-10-2011 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
"I promise to NEVER pee in your butt."

top topics

join