It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

half asleep/half awake hallucinations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Its been happening and slowly started to get more common. it started when i had sleep paralysis when i saw someone sitting on my keyboard (musical) and he kicked me and disappeared. The next one when i was on a princes trust camp I was on my bunk and i saw a woman walking down the middle of the room and i remember asking who she was which woke up two people in the other bunks. this happened twice while i was there and i had to explain what happened (which was interesting i guess). The most recent one was when i woke up today. i woke up grabbed my phone of my bedside draws and seeing the head of a corpse right next to it which scared the hell out of me and caused me to run to the door and throw my phone at it.

Any idea why this is happening and how i can get rid of this problem? also i would like to hear some interesting story's you all may have

It may interest you to know my mum had the same problem until she passed away. she kept saying she kept seeing ghosts and caused us to move out of a few houses. Which now i think i connected with this problem I'm currently having. Any comments?

edit on 28-10-2011 by asper because: I should "proof" read more :p

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by asper

that used to happen to me as a kid...spooky yes...harmful no. I did out grow it. I think napping makes it more likely to occur.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

I've had this happen numerous times. I saw a mongoose next to my wife, woke her up and said "Don't move there's a mongoose" while I was preparing to Punch it, it morphed into a blanket wrinkle. I have been attacked by a negative entity before, different house though. You can feel the presence of that though. How I got rid of it is get a "Noise Box" one that has "White Noise" It works amazing. I use the static white noise, although there is other calming sounds such as waves, creeks, heart beat, summer time bugs, etc... I still talk in my sleep quite regularly, but the in between awake/sleep hallucinations has stopped. I was really stressed to at the time of the hallucinations so that might play a crucial factor. Hope that helps some.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you ever wake up with the old hag on you
and you can not move and you see her evil face

Invoke the name of Jesus and it will stop
instantly.

Might sound crazy but that is how I stopped it.

edit on 28-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
A few years ago I swore I saw a huge, shiny, black and white striped leg spider quickly descending from the ceiling on his web right between my wife and I as we were going to sleep for the night. I shoved her off the bed out from under it, and then darted away myself, but further inspection of the situation revealed that it was all just my imagination/dream as I was dozing off.

FREAKED
ME
OUT!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This happens to me as well, its the result of waking up into consciousness before your brain has fully joined you. Basically what you see are manifestations of your unconscious or thought forms you have built around yourself. They are not inherently real.

One way I've learned to deal with them is to just expect the unexpected. I can even influence the objects I see with my mind as in a lucid dream, because they are basically on the same level of reality as a dream. I try to stare down anything horrifying and or just look away for a moment. Either way if you stare these things down they will vanish and you will see that they aren't real, or how your brain is creating the image out of the light available in the room.

One way you might deal with it is to become conscious that it might happen and then don't open your eyes right when you wake up, but give your brain a moment to catch up. Whats happening is basically that the transition between sleeping and waking is not smooth, but rather instant. So your brain is still projecting dream-like images even though your senses are now receiving input from your surroundings, and the combination of the two results in a momentary hallucination. The same thing can happen while we are falling asleep too, as the brain transitions into sleep if we open our eyes for a moment the two worlds can mesh in some unpleasant way.
edit on 2011/10/28 by Seventhdoor because: added

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
During a time when I was more carefree, I'd undergo these vague visions of between sleep and wakefulness. I actually welcomed them because they were beautiful to me. They could be spooky, yes, but I enjoyed it a lot. They came on for me more during midday naps, maybe on a day that I had to wake up early and do some work, and after it is done, take a nap. But now, being grown up and full of different stresses, they've gone away. I do think there is a correlation.
edit on 28-10-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
A few years ago I swore I saw a huge, shiny, black and white striped leg spider quickly descending from the ceiling on his web right between my wife and I as we were going to sleep for the night. I shoved her off the bed out from under it, and then darted away myself, but further inspection of the situation revealed that it was all just my imagination/dream as I was dozing off.

FREAKED
ME
OUT!

I had something like that happen to me. Except I ran to my parents' room screaming that there were HUGE spiders on my bed. My father came in with a shoe and everything, ready to kill the critters... Except there was nothing there, I had been hallucinating them in that half asleep/half awake stage. Father wasn't pleased

I found that if I sleep in the dark, it's more likely that I'll get sleep paralysis, so now I just leave the television on. Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments and info, I guess its more common than i think. I'll try the things you all mentioned and see what happens. I guess i was just freaked out by everything especially the corpse head :/ and wow all those story's are more freakier than mine XD I'll let time pass and see what happens
Thanks. I just hope i don't break my phone in the process :p

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
These are hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations.
I have them all the time. (when i sleep)

You can actually extend the duration of these quite considerable through sleep deprivation. (72hrs is good)

I find false awakenings the creepiest thing ever.
edit on 28-10-2011 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I came on here looking for additional tips on how to help a similar problem I have. For the last 7 years or so, I experience these hallucinations. That is the best word I have for them at least. I can't tell for sure though if I am dreaming....but I am dreaming in whatever room I am in at the time if that is the case. I see something like a dark swirling cloud of darkness floating close to hover over me....one time a vine started to grow out of my lamp...one time it was a jumping spider that flew all the way across the room. I have lost count of the hallucinations. Happens at least once a week. It always fools me every time. Whatever is going on. Scares me, and the only way to make it dissappear is when I turn the lamp on to inspect it.....I wake up my husband all of the time. I sleep talk and try to sleep walk frequently which also wakes him up. We have pushed our bed up against the wall to keep me from walking after I started walking out the front door asleep. I recently tried sleeping with a sleeping mask (to figure out if I was hallucinating real time or dreaming in the room). But I can't keep the mask over my eyes and continue to see the shapes. Last week i started feeling things too. I saw a mouse run over the bed and get up against my back while I was on my side. Can't see behind your back but I could FEEL it....walking up and down,....woke up my husband and told him to get it while it was still. Turned on the light and the feeling disappeared completely. Of course no mouse. I am at my white end. I can't figure out how to make them stop so both me and my husband get some uninterrupted consistent sleep.I take a dose of sleeping aid already. My next plan is to try and got to a sleep lab....but that is not cheap and would like to avoid. I have only had sleep paralysis twice several years ago. Not a problend right now. Please help

join