It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I Stopped the Sad Feeling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It seems no matter what methods I use, sadness will still rear its head atleast on a weekly basis. I have tried everything to cheer myself up, from love to hate, from movies to games, from unmentionable things done in desparation. The feeling, even if I manage to quell it, always returns. Even as I am engulfed in love and wisdom of the universe I still have strange emotions that form, perhaps from doubt, emotions that make me feel like a scared, confused child. More wisdom does not help, my eye has opened so wide it sees vast suffering and I cannot seem to stop the feeling. Simply not thinking about it is not an option for me, I suppose thats how I'm wired.

So how did I stop it? I'll tell you, but remember this won't stop pain, it won't stop exhaustion or starvation. It is just a tool that works in cases where I am seemingly sad for no good reason.

First you must realize and know, not believe or 'try to imagine', but rather you have accept this as fact. We are all connected. Intricately connected by our subconsciousness and maybe even at levels below that.

Now because of this connection we share our sadness, especially in this chaotic world where people die of hunger while others get fat and waste, where people lock people in cages who never even hurt anyone, where our leaders lie and troll us to no end.

Sadness is a feeling that creeps up on us and we try to cheer ourselves up to escape it, but this is part of the problem. You see, sadness to people is like sexual urges to a man. If a man does not relieve himself on a regular basis, he will slowly go mad with lust, until he finds himself releases within a single minute, or if he fights the urge long enough, he will release in his sleep.

Why would a man not just relieve himself when he feels like it? Because of shame and guilt. He feels embarassed to perform this act. Many christian boys feel like God is watching them and they are heavily conflicted, it is monstrous to make a child fight their nature through guilt and embarassment but that is a story for another time.

Sadness is similar. We feel embarassed to be sad or cry infront of others, for similar reasons we would not perform many acts of nature infront of others. So the special rule for this trick to work is don't cry or be sad infront of anyone else unless they know this trick too and want to join you.

When you feel sad and cry for yourself you will usually stop feeling sad, or drive it back enough where you can fight it and slowly cheer yourself up with a sleep or bath or snack. But this is where we make the mistake that perpetuates this sadness. Instead of crying for yourself, thinking you are all alone, thinking that if others saw you they would hang their head in shame, that they would speak ill of you behind your back, think of you as weak, as a frail child; think not these things, for the world suffers and MUST cry. When you feel sad, start thinking of the misery in the world, think of those who suffer, and encourage the sadness into a cry. When you are crying, you are crying for those around you too, and if you cry as hard as you can for as long as you can, you go beyond just crying for yourself to make you happy again, you are crying for the community around you, you cry so much that you are actually cry for the world through our great connection. You cry so they don't have to. Everyone around you will feel less sad just because of your mighty cries. You may never see the effects of this, because we are just individuals in a world of billions, but if everyone cried for eachother and themselves instead of just for themselves, the world would start to change. So cry on, create a symphony of tears and force them as hard as you can, get every last one out for it is a way for you to change the world without even leaving your room.

The universe will reward your sacrifice with happyness. Give it a try next time you are sad.

This works for me everytime, but I cant promise it will work for you. All I can say I'm sure it will work for someone and that is why I posted this. To do my tiny part to heal this hurting world.

Think you for your time.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Someone, a past doctor, once told me, that when we shed the right kind of tears, that they are caught in a heavenly bowl as a very prescious substance. As a doctor he was a bit of a quack I think, but I liked this sentiment, to me it has something to do with karma.

"The more that suffering carves into our being the more joy we can contain."
~ Khalil Gibran

You're a very good and kind hearted soul. Thank you for sharing. S&F.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MemeticHarvest

I am no stranger to sadness but I agree that we should cry more for others then ourselves. Selfishness can truly be a curse upon us with everything crumbling from the economy to wars in foreign lands. In other parts of the world people work their fingers to the bone just to make ends meet while you just lie there on your bed crying yourself to sleep. Well said OP. $&F

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sometimes I toy with an idea in my head. OWS: they protest with determination. They hold signs saying we are 99%. They say to wall street, give us what we deserve, stop taking from us, stop destroying our lives. But when the .99% that shields the .001% look out their balconies and sip champagne, all they see is haters. So they say, haters gonna hate, and they invent reasons to not help us.

I wonder what would happen if instead all the protesters cried their hearts out. Held up signs that said "for every one of us you see there is 100,000 more you don't" Weep and sob and throw themselves to the ground like dying animals. When the police come, they huddle together and hold eachother screaming and crying as if the police were barbarians come to eat them. Cry not to wallstreet, but cry to the universe while in the presence of wall street. I wonder if they could still taste the sweetness of the champagne while the masses flood the streets with tears and sorrow, or if the champagne would start to taste like tar and vitriol. This is the ultimate communication of how we feel, take off the masks we don to preserve our pride, for these masks disable our true ability to communicate. Communication is they key to life. Of course, we would still need great minds to formulate solutions to the problems which makes us weep, but for those who have no solutions, communicate the true feelings inside, so that those who can solve will be compelled to act.

It is an interesting fantasy for me.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thankyou for posting this, I had only just started to feel sad today.
We had a family tragedy in spring this year and no justice but lately I had started to be able to feel joy and was beginning to enjoy life...till today.

I hardly ever talk in my sleep but my partner said I had said 'Oh no' loudly enough to wake him up, about 2 nights ago.

My eldest has been feeling deep sadness weeks ago and although I cuddle her and that helps, I know it didn't go away. Now I know why.

I know we are all connected but it hadn't sunk in that I could be picking up other people's sufferings.

When Lady Diana died I could literally feel the grief of the UK public, even though I didn't share their grief, so thankyou for reminding me.

And I did cry, now I feel better; less overwhelmed; now I don't have to fight the feeling.
Peace and love.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You are an empath as am I. One with the heart of all!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

The way i stopped the sad feeling is to feel it. The sad or any negative feelings only persist if we don't want them, it is the resistance that makes it hurt. The resistance, the wanting to escape, the 'i don't want to feel this way' thoughts are the problem.
The best thing to do when you feel rubbish is to say to yourself 'It's always ok to feel like this', and then really feel it and it will pass. What ever is happening is happening, do not deny it, accept it.
We are not constantly anything, all is passing.
What you are never passes, it is present for all things to pass by.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Yes just feel it, thats the key.

I look at a prison and see the inmates. They are almost all sad, they are almost all mad at the police and guards, they are almost all wanting to do drugs.

Crying releases endorphines and other unknown things. Cry alot and it is a drug.
Crying communicates your sadness with those around you, crying will make the guards upset.
Crying provides release from the overwhelming sadness, crying makes you happy afterwards.

So the prisoners could be doing drugs, upsetting the guards, and feeling happy, they could not be stopped and they already have all the tools to do it. But they don't, they think the absolute opposite.

Crying will make me more sad
Crying will make the guards laugh and happy
Crying will make me seem pathetic and I will lose my drug connections

The universe makes my head spin and boggles my mind into mush sometimes.....

We are not constantly anything, all is passing.
What you are never passes, it is present for all things to pass by.
I love these statements. It is so true.
edit on 29-10-2011 by MemeticHarvest because: forgot to add that awesome quote of yours

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MemeticHarvest

Feelings are like clouds, all 'things' (the content of life), are passing and it is you it is passing through. You are the empty vessel of life. The changing colors, patterns and sensations will never stop streaming by.
You never move, you are constant and eternal.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join