It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Slanted" eyes?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mauwie

Back in college I did a paper about why Asians have slanted or "squinted" eyes. I wish I still had that paper. The research I found made sense. You do not have to agree with me but be open to it. I don't beleive any race is superior in all things just like I don't believe any person is. My ancestors came from the cold regions of Europe. My nose has thin but longer nostrils. For thousands of years my ancestors lived in the north. I am pale and burn easy. I have a brother-in-law from Samoa. He has dark skin and a broad nose with wider nostrils. I don't believe we evolved from apes, otherwise why do we still have apes? Back to my paper, if you think about it. For generations, the diet of most Asians consisted of fish, rice and some vegetables. They lacked a higher concentration of Vitamin A, B2, and Niacin. Now some of this comes from fish oil, but eggs, butter, milk, bread are also needed. Many Asians have poor eyesight. Because they are often nearsighted they have to squint to see clearly. Many Asians wear glasses or contacts. This is not an intentional insult to Asians in the least. Anymore than dark skin is a insult for Africans or South Americans, or the Island People, Samoa, Tonga, etc. Their bodies needed to adapt to keep alive, their skin needed to be darker to prevent skin cancer, wider nostrils provide better breathing in the heat. All these are adaptations, not evolutions. I come from 13 children and we are alike and different. I had curly white hair when I was born, I was skinny as a teenager, I had an older brother that had straight dark blonde hair, he was big-boned and very strong. I could go on but my point is thatwith the genetic pool out there and the mixture of races I doublt anyone is 100 % of anything. If you look back far enough you can probably prove this. My grandfather was like me white yet he could tan easily. He had a younger brother that looked like a Native American Indian. Their mother was part Indian. So I believe diet, availability of certain foods, and years of poor eyesight contributed to "squinted" eyes. Now there may be many Asians with perfect vision. But, I submit the hypothesis that it may be possible that the reasons listed above "could" have accounted for the eyes of Asians being different. Again, no insult intended for any race. Each has its benefits and each has its "drawbacks" if you will. Just in case anyone is offended, I received a corneal transplant and I don't know what race it was from nor do I care. When I die, any part that is usuable will be donated to anyone who needs it, ANYONE!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Your theory is interesting and I haven't heard it before. I definitely should research that one a little more. One thing that I would like to mention is that Asians aren't the only ones with Epicanthic folds. My grandmother (African-American) has them, but her grandmother is Native American so that is likely the reason for them. There are also groups in Africa that have them, such as the San and Khoisan people.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join