It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Slanted" eyes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this, so this seemed like the right place. My question is, why do people of oriental decent have "slanted" eyes? This never made sense to me. I mean, it doesn't seem like they serve any purpose. Evolution maybe, and if so, why? And why do non-Asians have non-slanted, rounder eyes? This is not meant to offend anyone, just something I always wondered. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, and yes I have already tried Google.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Although they may seem to, the eyes of Chinese, Japanese, and other Orientals do not slant; they are, in fact, closer to the horizontal than those of non-Orientals. The *effect* is produced by a low nose bridge and the Mongolian, or epicanthic, fold of the upper eyelid --- one of the very few genuine "racial" characteristics, incidentally. Children of Caucasian parents often show the apparent Mongolian slant until the nasal bridge develops. I would like to add here however, that not all Orientals have this slant, anymore than all NA have coal black hair.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I heard it was because of the snow, where Asian first originated (think Eskimos). The eyes help protect them from snow blindness and debris being carried by the wind. Remember, some Asians have two eye-lids, the epicanthal fold, and actually, some children have it, but it disappears as later on. Just as whites have light skin to absorb more sun, and blacks dark to keep too much sun out, I think the eyes are just an evolutionary hold-over based on where the Asians came from.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I would assume it is a combination of these two don't you think?
I mean, my explaination is of a structual detail of the face. Yours is the end result of why the structure of the face.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yeah! Why would evolution favor this "slanted" eye feature over a person with a more round of an eye? According to evolution this was a mutation and the environment favored the people with a more of a "slanted" eye. This wouldnt make sense because how would THAT being the difference would the environment favor them? I am pretty sure that this makes no sense here.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by MrFace]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFace
Yeah! Why would evolution favor this "slanted" eye feature over a person with a more round of an eye? According to evolution this was a mutation and the environment favored the people with a more of a "slanted" eye. This wouldnt make sense because how would THAT being the difference would the environment favor them? I am pretty sure that this makes no sense here.

[edit on 31-8-2004 by MrFace]

I can not answer your quesion in all certainty, or the original either...I answered only with what I have read and all that I know on the subject.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It is from squinting while reading the little red book over and over.

" Mongoloid peoples, since they are thought to have originated in the harsh, inhospitable climatic conditions of the central Asian steppes or tundra, are believed to have developed suitable physical characteristics - like broad, fat faces with squinting eyes - to cope with the constantly driving, dusty winds and inclement weather encountered there. "

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
My science teacher told me it was because of the angle they are to the sun, so they evolved and got the extra skin to block the sun light . Like a Visor in your car, works the same way.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So now explain anime. Why the HUGE round eyes?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by fawlty
It is from squinting while reading the little red book over and over.

" Mongoloid peoples, since they are thought to have originated in the harsh, inhospitable climatic conditions of the central Asian steppes or tundra, are believed to have developed suitable physical characteristics - like broad, fat faces with squinting eyes - to cope with the constantly driving, dusty winds and inclement weather encountered there. "

This makes sense. Humans adapt to their enviroment. This to me would be to cut down on snow blindness. If you live in Canada, Russia, Norway, etc, you know what I'm talking about. Interesting that the aboriginal peoples from the north share this charactaristic.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was told that it was because their eyes were a different shape, more oval or somthing......not even going to try and have a shot at WHY! lol Good discussion...somone help us?!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
My dads from Hongkong and his eyes doesnt slant, either does anyone else in his family.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CheeseKnob
My dads from Hongkong and his eyes doesnt slant, either does anyone else in his family.

is he 100% chinese, if not, then there ure answer

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes he is 100% chinese. Otherwise I wouldnt state that comment.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The further south asians live, the less slanted thier eyes become. Because the further south, there are no endless snowfields and blinding light. South asians have rounder eyes than Koreans or mongolians.

Other races did not develop the slanted eye because there was no need, they usually lived in the tropics or subtropics (Africans and south Indians) or in cold wet, cloudy, dark climates, like Caucasians.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses everyone, that answers my question.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I heard it was because of the snow, where Asian first originated (think Eskimos). The eyes help protect them from snow blindness and debris being carried by the wind. Remember, some Asians have two eye-lids, the epicanthal fold, and actually, some children have it, but it disappears as later on. Just as whites have light skin to absorb more sun, and blacks dark to keep too much sun out, I think the eyes are just an evolutionary hold-over based on where the Asians came from.

BTW...White skin absorbs LESS sunlight than black skin. Think on it buddy. Black absorbs more heat, because it absorbs more light. The reason it's black is because not as much light is being reflected off it and going into your eyes. Just like a black hole. IT's black because light doesn't escape it thus making it visible to us.

And the reason black skin absorbs more light than white skin, is due to the higher levels of melatonin (is this the right spelling?) in the skin.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It would seem natual to have slanted eyes. Perhaps slanted eyes are better for their culture. Everyone adapts to their region. That's why people in african countries are black. Their skin's cells produces Melinai, (wrong spelling) anyways it protects them because in africa the sun is more powerful there. The asians have their reasons. The way evoultion is quite confusing

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
im was watching espn and i notice chipper jones from atlanta braves have slanted eyes.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CheeseKnob
Yes he is 100% chinese. Otherwise I wouldnt state that comment.

As I stated above though, not all Orientals have slanted eyes! It's a myth...just like not all of us NA have coal balck hair, I happen to, but many don't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join