It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World War II Evacuee' Costume For Little Girls Is Most Offensive Of All Time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

'World War II Evacuee' Costume For Little Girls Is Most Offensive Of All Time

www.styleite.com

Just when we thought some headway was being made with the whole offensive costume situation in this country, we came across the worst costume of all time. Are you going to be a World War II evacuee for Halloween?

This is a costume that exists! And it’s for little girls! Some company called Girls Fantasy is selling it, and it is the WORST! The costume in question involves a navy dress, 1940s-style flats, a beret, and a satchel with some sort of tag...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
This might be interesting news for conspiracy-minded people for several reasons.

First of all, there has been a whole spate of really offensive halloween costumes for little girls in the last few years, and you really have to wonder why. Is it just a reflection of a sick society? Or is somebody trying to promote some kind of "agenda?"

Then there is the question of the choice of imagery. First of all, its certainly offensive to real people that suffer in real wars. But from different eyes, I wonder: why are they trying to indoctrinate children with this this kind of imagry? Are they trying to "prepare" them for something? Future as refugees, or simply in a more militarized society? "Don't worry little girl, this trip on the FEMA boxcars is just like your played make-believe dress-up as a war refugee last year, don't be scared, you are going on an adventure?" What message is being sent? and why world-war II? Is somebody laying the mental groundwork for the next world war? Is it deliberate?

We live in sick times.

www.styleite.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
No, i don't actually find this sick or offensive although i do find it odd.

It is a wartime evacuee costume. If it was, say a concentration camp uniform - now that would very sick and also highly offensive.

May be popular with little girls that like, amongst other things, the classic Bedknobbs and Broomsticks film..........

I realise there are people that may be upset by this but i just do not understand why. Sorry if that upsets anyone....

Oh, and by the way, this happened to some of my family over here in England during the German bombing campaign. My father was too young but his older sisters were evacuated
edit on 28-10-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

While I find this tasteless, completely tasteless, I have to admit that I am at least pleased it's not yet another "slutty-insert occupation here" costume.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot but the costumes being marketed towards young girls are alarming. I really don't know where this push to sexualize young girls came from, but it appears to dominate the costume industry.

Go to any local story selling costumes and prove me wrong.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I think this is good.
My children go to school in the UK where as part of their history lessons have to dress up as evacuee's and make gas mask boxes etc.
It's a part of British history.
At least now we can buy an "off the peg" outfit instead of struggling to find old fashioned clothes for the event.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I wouldn't think so far, the real answer is simple: making Money.

And i don't know if that costume is any worse than say..dressing as a Pirate. Pirates are real and more often than not are those murderer and rapists. Same could be said for a Knight's costumes. How many people do dress as the Devil on Halloween or Carneval? How many people want to be Zombies or the classic Bankrobber costume? Those aren't very nice images, but nobody takes them serious because it's just fun.

In the end though, that company got what they wanted: Attention. Websites report about it, people get upset for whatever reason (If it was a SS-costume or a "Ilsa"-costume, i could understand it a bit more) and now everyone knows the name of the company and a lot of people will buy the costume just to piss off the political correct crowd.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

As do mine - and only recently our oldest has been doing WW2 in school and the homework they (read: us parents!) had to come up with... sheesh! Costumes, etc. I actually learned a great deal doing some "research" for my oldest

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Am I the only one who wonders what the heck has war got to do with Halloween ??

We don't really celebrate Halloween much here in Australia but I notice it is getting more popular,,

But I really thought it was about spooky things like ghosts,vampires and goblins..

Can someone please enlighten me ??

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

OP - what are you on about? How is this "tasteless" ? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I think you're getting the concept of the civilian evacuation in Britain during WW2 mixed up with something else.

I think you're getting your history wrong. This isn't about concentration camps - this is about British citizens being evacuated from London and other "high risk" areas during the bombing.

I suggest you go and open a book (not wikipedia) and educate yourself.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
/Head-desk

Really? MOST OFFENSIVE COSTUME EVER? You sure about that?

The fact that the world has been over-run by whiny Daily Mail readers, that live for the sole purpose of being offended, offends me.

And here are a few
just to ram home my offended status.
edit on 28-10-2011 by FanarFanar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Brilliant outfits
I honestly don't see how they could be in any way offensive to anyone?

I wish we had access to these for my kids so they could learn about British history and operation pied piper.

Tho I have to admit it was really fun scrounging up all the parts so my kids looked authentic evacuees

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Whats wrong with this costume?! If anything its more odd than "tasteless." I say odd just because of the name choice, i really don't see a ww2 refugee in it.

Oh is it because she's wearing a mini skirt? Are miniskirts offensive now? Grow up and get your heads out of other people's business. If a kid wants to dress like that, let them be.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Even if it has nothing to do with concentration camps its still very tasteless to me to dress kids up as war refugees for play. Don't you think that's a little screwed up? There are literally millions of war refugees that are the same age going to bed hungry every night in Africa and Asia. Reminds me of Marie Antoinette spending a fortune to build a fake peasant villiage at Versailles so she could dress up and play milkmaid. Meanwhile outside the gates real peasants and milkmaids were starving to death.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't find this offensive at all, it's part of our history.

My Nan and Great Uncles were evacuated from London to the country during the Blitz, Gas masks and all. I can't imagine they would have any issues with these costumes. Why is it any different from a little boy dressing up as a soldier?

Also, with the costume, comes a history lesson. It's good to keep that history alive. Most kids these days couldn't care less what our Country went through during the war.

There are far more worse costumes.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Not refugee, evacuee... most of the kids in at risk locations in Britain where evacuated somewhere safe.. all the kids around here where evacuated due to the threat of invasion, others due to them being in urban cities or industrial locations due to the threat of bombing.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Must admit I don't see any problem with the costume and like another poster said It will help the kids understand what other children had to go thru in a different time.
Why do you find it offensive? Iam sure if you showed my Gran this (who was one of the children) she would love it.
It's better than a girl wearing one of the slutty costumes what they always wear IE: Nurse/ Cop etc.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

Even if it has nothing to do with concentration camps its still very tasteless to me to dress kids up as war refugees for play. Don't you think that's a little screwed up? There are literally millions of war refugees that are the same age going to bed hungry every night in Africa and Asia. Reminds me of Marie Antoinette spending a fortune to build a fake peasant villiage at Versailles so she could dress up and play milkmaid. Meanwhile outside the gates real peasants and milkmaids were starving to death.

No, as an English person (and therefore one of those who according to you should be offended) i find this a useful link to our history and Operation Pied Piper (as someone has mentioned above me). Im also not offended by people dressing up in Viking costume even though Vikings raped and slaughtered my forebears. Or Rom,an costumes, or Norman costumes, etc. It is history and a link to our past - we should learn from it and not attempt to erase it.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Oh for lucifer sakes.... Is there anything people don't get offended about anymore? Offended by a historical costume, thats awesome!

I swear, if someone gets offended by my werewolf outfit, I am gonna punch someone in the face....

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

Even if it has nothing to do with concentration camps its still very tasteless to me to dress kids up as war refugees for play. Don't you think that's a little screwed up?

Nope. I'm not saying it's a great costume - but it isn't tasteless nor degrading nor screwed up. It's allowing children to dress up as important "historical" figures. But, living in America, you know nothing of WW2 and what Britian went through - don't try to pretent you do, comparing evacuees to refugees - get your terminology right.

There are literally millions of war refugees that are the same age going to bed hungry every night in Africa and Asia. Reminds me of Marie Antoinette spending a fortune to build a fake peasant villiage at Versailles so she could dress up and play milkmaid. Meanwhile outside the gates real peasants and milkmaids were starving to death.

You're implying that the children, dressing up as evacuees from the civilian evacuation of London during WW2 somehow compares to the plight and suffering of millions of starving children in Africa and Asia...?

You've lost the plot.
edit on 28-10-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

kids up as war refugees

For goodness sake they were NOT refugees.

They were evacuees. Someone else pointed out the difference to you so go back and read what was said. Many children were evacuated from London. They were NOT refugees.

edit on 28/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join