It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing video of the Earth spinning taken from the International Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Just had to bring you this quick video of the earth as viewed from the international space station. Note the amazing northern lights constantly displaying their beautiful dance. The brightness of the cities and towns would leave any passing ufo in no doubt that there was intelligent life down there .

This is one film that’s sure to leave you in a spin.

The crew of the International Space Station pointed a camera at North America and the resulting still pictures were spliced together into a mesmerising speeded-up sequence.

It shows a rotation of the Earth in just a matter of seconds from a vantage point 225 miles up.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Nasa explains that the camera was north-facing, so the amazing Aurora Borealis can be seen shimmering at the top of the screen throughout the video.

The sequence begins with lights from southern Canada sweeping into view before the station passes over central North America.

Through the clouds, the peninsula of Michigan can be seen, with Chicago's millions of lights glowing at the south end of Lake Michigan.

A few dramatic lightning storms can be seen flashing in the clouds over central United States before the East Coast of the United States, including Atlanta and Georgia, comes into view.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 28-10-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
That's amazing S&F. Look at the amount of energy all that electricity would need. Unfreakingreal... Great find.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Major Tom should go home and tell them to switch the lights off,Your keeping the whole solar system awake.
Amazing view ,but this is just insane

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
And we ask what is causing climate change? It is the overall energy we extract to keep us going as a civilization. Transportation is a mere part of it.

Transportation is essential. AC is not.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and deny ignorance.

My first impression was CGI, or at the very least, heavy digital enhancement - had to check the BS meter for a second opinion.... sure enough, hard to the right.

If that was sped up composite imaging, well they're the longest lightning strikes you'll ever see....??

Nice touch incorporating the Northern Lights too, it seems NASA's at it again.

Flame away.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I am a dreamer but think THIS image would appear when approaching another planet!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
If only we could learn to find a much more non light poluting way to live at night, then we would have an equally spectacular view looking up to the heavens at night, that the ISS is having looking down. Just my thoughts

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Everything is fake...

good grief...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

That is pretty awesome. Thanks for posting. Maybe it is about time ATS had an alternative energy forum. It is the most pressing problem, dilemma and conundrum of modern times. Depending how fast we arrive at a solution will make or break us more certainly than anyone's dreams or predictions. I would like to see and get thinking about what is new in the area of alternative energy on a daily basis. Needs to be front and center on our TO DO list.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

There is a space station, there are people on it, and they have the ability to take still photos.
It's not cgi, but merely a splicing of still images. I doubt that they are even longer exposure images due to the constant apparent movement of the Earth under the quickly moving station. If there is enhancement, it's probably just some added color saturation, and contrast. Just to make things stand out.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
If only we could learn to find a much more non light poluting way to live at night, then we would have an equally spectacular view looking up to the heavens at night, that the ISS is having looking down. Just my thoughts

agreed , i remember in the past when we used to use white bulbs to light the streets and it was dimmer and were able to watch the beauty of the universe with our eyes clearly , boy it was beautiful and we could even see the milky way clearly , but nowadays its almost impossible , man i really miss those days.

top topics

join