It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Interfered With 2 US Government Satellites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Hackers Interfered With 2 US Government Satellites

www.space.com

Hackers interfered with two U.S. government satellites four separate times in recent years, according to a congressional commission report to be released next month.

In October 2007 and July 2008, a NASA-managed Landsat-7 satellite experienced 12 or more minutes of interference, and a Terra AM-1 satellite was disrupted for two minutes in June 2008 and again that October for nine minutes, according to Bloomberg Businessweek's analysis of the annual report by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Imagine if a weaponised satellite were to come under the control of a rogue hacker...that would be some James Bond style movie makin #. All eyes on China from my jist of the article I guess it does not fit Anons ddos kids .

www.space.com

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
World War three will be a cyber war..

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by moixa

Imagine if a weaponised satellite were to come under the control of a rogue hacker...that would be some James Bond style movie makin #. All eyes on China from my jist of the article I guess it does not fit Anons ddos kids .

www.space.com

No they really couldn't do that. Could they?
Better get Gary McKinnon out the slammer and give him a job in cybercountermeasures. Or a lead role in the film !

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I don't think so... but I some sort of Cyber War would be convenient to spread fear and enforce more security (aka get rid of the interwebz) in the forerun of WW3.

The interwebz recently became very annoying for TPTB

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

It already is

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

far more difficult to pinpoint such a catastrophe. It would be some countries satellite, but the fault would be a hacker. Very very muddy situation

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Chinese spies on a training op.

Or North Korean, but it sounds state sponsered.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Marshal McLuhan talked about World War 3 being fought in cyberspace, with no distinctions between the military and the public. (He didn't use the word “cyberspace,” that was coined by fellow Canadian, William Gibson.) McLuhan, however did predict the world wide web, 30 years before its inception. His “global village” is now a technical reality and with it, coinciding with his other imaginings about our futures, we do find ourselves at least committing acts of cyberattack. On this matter McLuhan and I must agree. We have the ability, we have the motive, we have done the deed, to do so is nothing short of expected.

We used radio in the same way, then television. It would be silly to deny the internet. In this discussion we will attempt to distinguish “cyberattack” from “cyberwar” as well as “cyberwar” from “cyberprotest,” as there seems to be some confusion, at least on the part of the media. It may be that this intention is actually “spin,” and we shall not fail to notice the opportunity for that spin to backfire. The internet is not television. The internet is a two way street. It would be unfortunate if, for instance, the idea of the freedom of the net became jeopardized because of a broad acceptance of that freedom as dangerous.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Of course it will be cyber. What good is the American military machine. If there GPS does not work for example.. Take the satalites offline. Turn off the power and close down the banks.... Job done.. Everything goes online these days... Battleships, nuclear power stations...

He who controls the information,controls the world. The Chinese have a good understanding of this, That is why they spend so much money on hacking. From now on a war could be won without firing a single shot...

Understand it or not. It is the truth

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThePeople

It already is

lol.. I cant argue with that...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

The Cyber war has already begun, its silent and deadly not that the news media will ever report on it regardless of country as it is classified as a national security issue.

any h4ndl3 ?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by moixa
[...]Imagine if a weaponised satellite[...]

There aren't supposed to be any "weaponized" satellites. At least nothing carrying nuclear weapons or other WMD's. Lasers is a grey area.

edit on 2011-10-28 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fixed quote

top topics

join