It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nixie's review of the Run for your Lives Zombie 5k Baltimore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well if there is a zombie apocalypse, your friend Nixie Nox won't make it.But i certainly wasn't the only one.

I wasn't going to do the race since I couldn't train because of an accident, but I couldn't switch out tickets, so I figured I would just do the best I can.
I did every obstacle, I made it to the fourth before I came undead(losing all your flags) and I am proud.

For the very athletic people, they considered it easy. (mind you they are the types that jogged in from parking a mile and a half away) It is readily apparent what you are made of. No matter what your status, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

If you want to test your athletic abilities, or in my case, just wanting to finish, this is the way to go.

I want to do Pittsburgh and Baltimore again next year, I will need the full year to train. I see now my training regimen would of not been adequate.

This ended up being a boot camp style hike/run filled with zombies. You started off with three flags. The chase zombies ripped them off. If you made it with a flag, you came home human.
If you want to test your speed, beware that this was hilly. There was one hill from hell that had many people holding their sides, then an obstacle at the top after a zombie horde. And yes, there is a lot of screaming as someone suddenly pops out at you.

Some of the zombies were done by makeup artists, they looked pretty cool.

Obstacles included climbing a rope net, swimming across a pond, going through a hay maze.
you did get messy. There were a lot of mud pits both deliberate and natural.

You entered the grounds to see nine ambulances lined up and some of the EMTs were kept busy. There were two twisted ankles, a knee with blood running down it and a broken leg. That is just what I know about.I ended up with a couple of hefty bruises.

Since this was the first race, there were a lot of problems with parking. There was a three mile backup to get in. Because of all the rain, parking was a nightmare and people had to be towed. Logistics wasn't good. but they assured that they rented stadium parking for next year to avoid those problems. Some people were turned away and got refunds because of the parking situation, they got there two late.

There were so many people there. Fantastic and funny costumes. The music was great. A lot of people picnicked in front of the stage.

Now my five year old wanted to run so badly. This is not really a family friendly event in the sense that there is nothing for the kids to do. He got pretty bored.

But a woman from the advertising agency spoke to me ad is going to pitch the idea of a kids race.

There were people there from all over, local, surrounding states, and some Canadians.

The race was sold out, there were over 10,000 participants, it was crazy.

I am posting some links from videos posted on youtube, the segment done on G4, and some of my own pics. No, I am not in them.

Here is the link from Attack of the Show from G4, which is a decent segment of the race:

www.g4tv.com...

Here is a nicely edited video from Team "Eat" with fun t-shirts, who show everything fromt he lines to the mad parking.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Btw way, if you want a real challenge, the fastest time was 30 minutes.That just doesn't seem natural.

This one, just because its funny. Look for the turtles.

This one is just funny too.

This is the start tunnel, you were either appetizer, entree or dessert based on your running speed.

Zombies along the trail, which ended up being a dead end

The water obstacle:

The climb and slide into some nasty mattresses.

Cleanup. They had four water trucks just for people to hose themselves off:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Now that had to be cold at times. I'm glad you posted as I was curious as to how it would go. I am there in spirit, but after five knee surgeries, I am relegated to being a shuffling & gimping slow zombie.

I would be easy to avoid.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I am getting knee surgery on the 17th so I understand. A lot of people were walking, even ones who categorized themselves as entree. I ran into people from the wave before me.

A coworker said a nice thing and said: if it were a real apocolypse and you were running from zombies, you would walk to save your energy when you got a chance. XD

But they have volunteers and not all zombies are chase zombies, some are props.

As for the cold, your adrenaline is going so much you don't even notice.

The smart people wore toe shoes and the calf length lyrica run pants. Held little water so it didn't weigh you down.
edit on 27-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Prop Zombie...now that's a gig I could get into.

Set me up near the finish line with a BBQ and a Keg...that'd be my trap for those who thought they had finished.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

LOL

along the trail would be prop zombies that amble along. then the third or fourth one ambled by and then turned and started chasing everybody. you never heard such a group of adults scream like little girls.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I hadn't heard of this but what an awesome idea! Sounds like so much fun and adds a little excitement to your typical boring 5k
I wish they had something like that here! Although, I'd probably not even make the first k before either dropping dead or become the undead LOL

Michelle

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Ha Ha thats so cool...
I wish I was there.
Way to Go Baltimore for blending creativity, survival training, and fun!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

They have locations all over the country, this was just the first one.

runforyourlives.com...

They said on facebook that if they get enough requests for an area, they would look into it.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
BTW, I will be doing Pittsburgh and next year's Baltimore even if anyone cares to join.

new topics

top topics

join