It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Approves Nationwide General Strike, First time in USA Since 1946

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Rumors have been flying for a week that the Occupy protesters will be launching a nationwide general strike. We have been biting our tongue waiting for a formal decision.

Mother Jones tweets:

From our reporter at #occupyoakland General Assembly just now MT @timmcdonnell: General strike passes with 1184 votes of approval

JackalAnon tweets:

STRIKE APPROVED FOR NEXT WEDNESDAY! GENERAL STRIKE FIRST TIME IN THE USA SINCE 1946!

(The last American general strike was also in Oakland).

The strike will occur on November 2nd.

One of the founders of the Tea Party – conservative Karl Denninger – supports the strike (and see this).

Occupy Wall Street in New York has also been considering a proposal for a general strike. And there are also rumors of a global general strike next year.

Thats all thats out right now. I dont know what this strike is for? Walking off the job? Not buying anything? We will have to wait and see when updates come in.

I kind of wish they made ths on November 5 so it matches up with the bankwithdraw day.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Isnt that when the GOP primaries are?
2nd

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

By Nov 5th "Bankwithdraw Day" works too!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
When your city thinks it's ok to bombard you with futuristic grenades and shoot you with rubber bullets and bean bags as though you are an armed enemy army, it's time to take action in the form of strikes or better.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Isnt that when the GOP primaries are?
2nd

Hmmm...no. I believe you're thinking about the actual general election, the Tuesday between 11/2 and 11/8.

Not sure if we're got any changes as yet moving any of the state primaries forward to this year, I think they all still start after the new year.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Act like a group of idiots and harbor masked protestors tossing rocks and bottles at other Civilans and Police Officers and you deserve to get shot with a beanbag.

Before you people complain about our brutal police tactics why don't you stop for and be thankful your not one of the 2000 dead protestors in Syria.

I would also make a prediction that it will be a cold day in Hell before we are treated like those dead protestors over there.

Just my thoughts

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolatetotalk

What about the numerous cases where police went on to college campus and gassed (G20 in Pittsburgh, if I recall correctly) students who weren't even involved, or people who also weren't involved in any sort of protest activity being mass-arrested for nothing (research the democratic and republican national conventions in 2008 in St. Paul and...wherever the democratic one was - I wasn't in town for that).

Before you people complain about our brutal police tactics why don't you stop for and be thankful your not one of the 2000 dead protestors in Syria.

I would also make a prediction that it will be a cold day in Hell before we are treated like those dead protestors over there.

Oh, I see - as long as they're not SO brutal about it, it's OK for them to crap all over our rights and act in complete contrast to what this nation was founded to be. Gotcha, you're a heckuva spokeman for liberty and american ideals.

edit on 10/27/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The Oakland general assembly(whatever that is) has called it for the 2nd
Theres even flyers circulating
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-10-2011 by dashen because: more lines

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toolatetotalk
Act like a group of idiots and harbor masked protestors tossing rocks and bottles at other Civilans and Police Officers and you deserve to get shot with a beanbag.

Just my thoughts

I predict you'll be a failed psychic by midnight tonight..

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It would be great if the Tea Party worked along with this considering the TP was originally against the Fed, crony bailouts, and government spending that goes to corporate fatcats like the banks.

Of course with the media trying their hardest to get OWS and the Tea Party to hate each other, I can only wish.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This post deserves a fair shake.

Am I an OWS'er for lack of a better word no. But I support the right of this protest to take place. "Dissent IS the highest form of Patriotism" and it is high time for dissent in this country. You don't have to love the message but don't hate the messenger. These people have a voice and right now they are exercising their God given right to make that voice known. Does it mean they (TPTB) will listen, no, but don't stand in the way of their right to redress their grievances. It is just one of the things that make this country great and I would hate to sacrifice even just one of those things on a difference of opinion. We are allowed to disagree, we are allowed to let each other know we disagree, but we are not allowed to silence another based on that disagreement.

Let them strike, let them attempt to make a difference, who knows it might just work, but don't quell dissent and then wave a Chinese made flag as if that is somehow patriotic. Please I implore you, give these people a fair shake because I fear if we do not we will awaken a horrible resolve.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable." John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join