It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons we are a Nation of Courage and Proud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
KrazyJethro brings up some good points. Indentured servants, slavery, discrimination, stamping out religious freedom, persecution of Native Americans, etc. have dented Americas past just like any other nation. Historically speaking, our political and economic dominance of the world scene started with Theodore Roosevelt and his policy of ruling with an Iron Fist in the Phillipines. Our nation is subject to the same criticisms as other nations, and its only right to look at our faults as well as our achievements and to understand how those achievements were met.

If it was not for slavery, the south would not have prospered. If it was not for chinese immigrant workers and their subsequent mistreatment, we would not have had railroad lines. The list could go on here as well...

...our freedom is based on the sacrifices of "others" as well as ourselves, and at times our nation has displayed the most non-courageous behavior imaginable!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
KrazyJethro, that was a really irrational post.
Oh by the way, slavery is not limited to America and was not reserved for africans or people of color, there are many examples before America that justified slavery in their countries.

Contrary to your statement...Does that make it any more right for America to have done it? Sure other nations are guilty of the same thing, but we are not talking about other nations...we are talking about America. As an American we must admit our faults as well as our triumphs, and to believe that our nation is infalliable, is to not to admit the truth. As an American I must admit the truth...that being American means we are no better than anyone else. Surely Shakespeare would agree that we have "suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune"...right?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Yep, thats right Jazzerman. I agree with you.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I am an American....half Native American. I'm not so sure that most of our youth today, could do what the youth of yesteryear have done...perhaps they could....I really don't know......it seems they are spoiled, arrogant, and self serving, and out future is in the hands of our youth.

Kickapoo here, what tribe do you belong to?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

It took courage to purchase Africans from their traitorous brothers only to beat them, enslave them, break every family tree, distroy their identity, kill them, maim them.

Congratulations

You just listed the very things most Africans risk facing every day.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD

Originally posted by LadyV
I am an American....half Native American. I'm not so sure that most of our youth today, could do what the youth of yesteryear have done...perhaps they could....I really don't know......it seems they are spoiled, arrogant, and self serving, and out future is in the hands of our youth.

Kickapoo here, what tribe do you belong to?
I am of the Cherokee/Lumbee nation

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fawlty
Congratulations

You just listed the very things most Africans risk facing every day.

Understood. While I have not read that much about it, I am aware that it goes on still today.

Hell, there was a book written (and I think the woman was on Oprah, but I didn't see it) by a woman who was a slave after raiders killed her parents. That was in the 90's.

Yet would you see us do anything about it?

No. NEVER, and what's worse, a good number of Africans right here don't know or care enough to speak up.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I believe the argument regarding the "oldest democracy" deals with the US having the oldest constitution in effect.

www.digitalhistory.uh.edu...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Check out th debate that is going on here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it is an arguments myself (from the uk) and people from Canada and USA are having with other Europeans about what some believe is the Arrogance of Americans....

One poor guy is confusing arrogance with patriotism..

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think your title of the thread says it all The BigD. Illiteracy and ignorance allow pride [noun related to the adjective proud (optional 'the proud') which you probably must have meant to use in the title to your thread] to flourish.

When your standards are low enough it is easy to be proud.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Did I just read nation of genocide and exploitation?
No?
A load of rubbish then!

Booo... hisss.....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
I believe the argument regarding the "oldest democracy" deals with the US having the oldest constitution in effect.

www.digitalhistory.uh.edu...

Google the Helvetic Confederation please!!

The Swiss (yes the swiss) started in 1290 something!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join