It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your conscience and the internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was writing up a post about a co-worker that told me about something he and his buddies did while he was in high school. It was the most dangerous, stupid thing I had ever heard.
While I was writing it, I got to thinking, should I even post this? What if someone actually tries this and gets seriously hurt or killed? So I decided not to, because I would not be able to live with myself if they did.
Which then got me to thinking, what about all those videos everyone’s posting doing dangerous and stupid things? I don’t spend any time watching that sort of thing, but I’m guessing they are not posting disclaimers and warnings very often, if at all.
I’m guessing many of these people do not consider the possible consequences of posting that type of thing.

And that is what scares me. Are there that many people floating around today without a conscience? Maybe I’m just old fashion, but that’s ok with me.

So, have you done it? Would you do it? What if someone did get hurt?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Is it really your job to warn people against their own stupidity?

I understand where you're coming from, and it's honorable you don't want to contribute to someone hurting themselves, but ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves. I see no problem with posting a video or story of something potentially dangerous. I see dangerous things all around me all day and I'm still here.

Parents are responsible for their children. I never understood campaigns to ban movies or tv shows that were deemed inappropriate by parents - seems like the ultimate in lazy parenting to me. If you don't want your kids doing or watching something then don't let them. Simple as that.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I appreciate what you're saying, but let's be honest, as long as you make it clear you are not encouraging people to undertake dangerous activities, I feel you are free to post what you like on the internet (obviously within the T&C's of such sites as this one).

I personally cannot see a problem in sharing some foolish thing a person has done as long as you make it evident that it was an absolute foolish thing to do.

I have watched damn right dangerous stunts on the internet, but I am able to assess the risks involved and therefore choose not to imitate such actions.

If someone decides to imitate these actions and as a consequence they are hurt, or God forbid killed, well I would say that is 'free will'. Peace.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I agree completely about the parenting, but I do know that a lot of these videos are put up by kids and young adults. I guess that is what concerns me, are they even thinking about the consequences?

I'm not a "ban it all" type person.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I guess that is the problem with me. Would I tell the story to a 21 year old? Probably. Would I tell a 14 year old? No way.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Spit it out already!

I want to hear. I, personally, promise not to try and replicate the story unless it produces free beer.

And yeah, lots of really idiotic things get posted on the internet. One thing that immediately comes to mind is back yard wrestling. Once I saw a video of a guy "truck surfing" except he was the sole occupant of the vehicle. With him riding high there was no one inside to work the brakes or steer. Needless to say that truck got a one way ticket to the scrap heap and it's "driver" probably did the same.

top topics

join