It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of bright spot on Uranus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Source

Amateur astronomers with large telescopes and CCD cameras are being urged to turn them on the distant planet Uranus following reports of the appearance of a brilliant new feature.

Professional images taken using the 8.1-metre Gemini Telescope North on Hawaii have recorded a region said to be ten times brighter than the planetary background. Leading planetary scientist Dr Heidi B Hammel, a key figure with the James Webb Space Telescope whose special interest is in the ice planets Uranus and Neptune, used her Facebook page yesterday to appeal for more observations.

She said that if the feature was confirmed independently by enough amateur astronomers, it would be seen as a “target of opportunity” that would allow NASA’s Hubble space telescope to be switched from its scheduled observing programme to watch it.

Sweet did Uranus just take a pounding from something? Uranus seems like an interesting place to get some probes into. I am sure it would be fun to plumb its depths and get a better feel for the different layers of its atmosphere.

Nasa Missions to Uranus

Uranus Pics

edit on 10/27/2011 by iforget because: to add pics of Uranus

edit on 10/27/2011 by iforget because: puns in this thread reside purely in your head

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Sweet did Uranus just take a pounding from something? Uranus seems like an interesting place to get some probes into. I am sure it would be fun to plumb its depths and get a better feel for the different layers of its atmosphere.

Very clever opener.

Is there any way to talk about Uranus without it becoming harassment?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think it is literally impossible to comment on Uranus without any double meaning phrases.

Does that spot make Uranus look big? (could not help myself)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Uranus isn't that hot so I don't know what would leave a bright spot on Uranus. Unless, like you said, Uranus took a pounding. There's alot of gas in Uranus, maybe something burned up in re-entry.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

link   
Most things to do with the distant gas giants are a mystery - but I'm sure a spectroscope can tell us what the spots contain in chemical terms at least.

link   
reply to post by iforget

Excellent find.

I'm glad you're willing to expose the issues with Uranus.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
this whole thread is making me chuckle in a very childlike way

I'm not even going to add my own jokes, it's funny enough on it's own.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

ROFLMAO!!! Oh man, awesome. My guess would be an impact from something very big entering Uranus. We struggle to find and estimate NEO's so us missing something very large that was about to slam into Uranus is very possible.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by iforget

Excellent find.

I'm glad you're willing to expose the issues with Uranus.

Nice.
Only when we are open and truly honest about Uranus, is when the enlightenment about Uranus will come to light.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I wonder if Reptillians are hiding out in Uranus?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I declare myself innocent. I dont know what you guys are talking about.

edit on 10/27/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by iforget

Uranus isn't that hot so I don't know what would leave a bright spot on Uranus. Unless, like you said, Uranus took a pounding. There's alot of gas in Uranus, maybe something burned up in re-entry.

LLLMMMAAAOOO!!!! I can't even breathe after reading this! Someone call 9-1-1, PLEASE!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I propose that NASA sends these guys to investigate and discover what is going on with Uranus.

link   
reply to post by micmerci

Very good question. I don't think they probed Uranus. But if they were to probe Uranus, with all the gas, I think it would be pretty hard to sqeeze anything out of Uranus.

link   
I agree with the op article- it would be awesome to have everyone looking at Uranus!!

Somebody help me- I can't stop.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm sorry to be the one to break the news but it is purely the result of much Vindaloo and Kebabs. I will try to tone it down in future. Threat closed.

PS I am laughing Uranus off
edit on 27/10/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added a PS

<<   2  3  4 >>

join