It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A religious Figure to be Proud of... Cleric resigns over OWS protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The chancellor of St Paul's Cathedral has resigned from his post in a row over anti-capitalist protesters occupying the churchyard. Canon Dr Giles Fraser's resignation came after reports suggested there was a rift between clergy over what action to take concerning the activists.

Dr Fraser, who has been sympathetic to the protest camp, tweeted this morning: "It is with great regret and sadness that I have handed in my notice at St Paul's Cathedral."

He later told the Guardian: "I resigned because I believe that the chapter has set on a course of action that could mean there will be violence in the name of the church."

Yesterday, the cathedral's dean, the Rt Rev Graeme Knowles, said officials were considering all options in response to the protest, including legal action.

The City of London Corporation, the local authority for the Square Mile, will meet tomorrow to hear legal advice and decide whether to launch court action to evict the protesters

But the demonstrators vowed to remain, saying they found the threat of court action "very worrying".

www.independent.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think this is fantastic, a real "Man of God" standing up for the PEOPLE.
He was the only one in the Cathedral speaking up for these protesters and welcomed them with open arms.
However, the Cathedral was closed and plans were afoot to have the protesters removed.... this guy wasn't having any of it and after days of deliberation, He finally resigned his posr as "Chancellor" of St. Paul's.

His colleagues have gone against everything that their religion teaches and this guy stood out on his own, in the face of adversity and pressure from his cronies.

Many of the protesters have come out in his defence and said he is a true man of his word and a man of god.

This guy has got his priorities right and good for him

edit on 27/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

join