It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China orders cutback on TV entertainment (How would it work in other places?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

I realize that the Chinese government has never been known for equal rights and I suppose it pretty much has an iron grip on its people. This article is really no big surprise, but it is interesting to think about what if that happened in some other countries?
[
quote]
China will limit the number of entertainment programs allowed to air on television, from match-making game shows to dance broadcasts, and push to replace them with morality-building programming, Chinese media reported on Tuesday. China's State Administration of Radio, Film and Television starting next year will restrict shows that "record the dark and gloomy side of society", the Southern Metropolis Daily said. "For every satellite TV station, no more than two entertainment programs can be aired during prime time from 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. every night," the paper said, citing a directive from the national broadcasting watchdog. Instead, the newspaper said, the extra time slots would be filled with prograes that "promote harmony, health and mainstream culture".

That really doesnt sound so bad does it? Im all for promoting harmony and health. Just not China's way. However they may be onto something about restricting shows that "record the dark and gloomy side of society. I think that most likely, they don't want people to know the truth about what goes on out in the world I suppose.

The official Xinhua news agency said the directive aimed to guard against "excessive entertainment" by restricting game shows, talk shows, talents shows, and reality shows, among other types of programming. At least two hours of news would have to be broadcast during the last six hours of the day on 34 stations, Xinhua said.

In September, the agency ordered a popular television talent show akin to American Idol, Super Girl, off the air for a year after it exceeded broadcasting time limits. It has also recently reiterated its ban on sex-related television and radio advertisements, such as ads for breast enlargement surgery. China routinely censors anything it considers politically sensitive or offensive, from songs to films, in contrast to the patriotic fare of state broadcasters.

Now, I don't watch much tv, as I find it pretty much idiotic and boring, as I get most of my news from other forms of the media. I just wonder if it would really such a bad thing if some of the tv was restricted. I can just foresee a collective coronary from those who will "die" from withdrawals of drivel such as Jersey Shore and American Idol. After thinking about it some more, it would probably be a great thing. Maybe people would turn to things called books (gasp!!!! how dare I)
or get out and get some exercise. Oh well...its probably not going to happen, because TPTB does not want you to turn off your tv. They want to control your mind (sorry had to throw that in there, buts probably pretty close to the truth). Nevertheless, thought I would share it with everyone and would like to here some thoughts.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This would never fly in the Western world.. or these protests would have happened years and years ago.

Take our money but leave us to our devices..

new topics

join