It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a protester can get within feet of Dick Cheney, define security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A 21-year-old Yale student, posing as a volunteer at the Republican National Convention, got within 10 feet of Vice President Dick Cheney and shouted anti-war statements before being dragged away.

Can someone define security, it appears that Osama could of done the same.

www.sqlspace.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If osama showed up at the republican national convention i dont think they would let him in.

_

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Founder
A 21-year-old Yale student, posing as a volunteer at the Republican National Convention, got within 10 feet of Vice President Dick Cheney and shouted anti-war statements before being dragged away.

Can someone define security, it appears that Osama could of done the same.

www.sqlspace.com...

Got dragged away for what free speech, if this was someone doing nothing other than shouting anti-war statements then where is our free speech rights?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Shouting is disturbing the peace. If he had just said things in an even tone there would be no legal reason for the "drag away".

It is a funny story though

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by transient
If osama showed up at the republican national convention i dont think they would let him in.

Hehehehe... heeheeheeheehee... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Transient... you are a master of understatement. And this is actually funny, even though I know you didn't mean it to be.

_

[edit on 31-8-2004 by Otts]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thats going in my sig

He was most likely removed for the shouting and that they were afraid he would do something crazy to Cheney, they did it for safety. The same would happen if a right winger got 10 feet infront of Edwards.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts

Originally posted by transient

Hehehehe... heeheeheeheehee... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Transient... you are a master of understatement. And this is actually funny, even though I know you didn't mean it to be.

_

[edit on 31-8-2004 by Otts]

Still laughing hard

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
To be fair he wasn't just for shouting. He had leaped a wall and was trying to climb up into Cheney's box!

As for security, it's a chimera. Real security is achieved by ensuring you have far more friends than enemies, and watching those enemies you do have closely. It's about intelligence work, not check points and security guards.

One could also argue this was not a real security threat. Call it racial profiling if you like, but looking at they guy he is obviously not an islamic extremist!

EDIT:

Needed the secret service to protect him? what a wuss!!

Something similar happened to our Deputy Prime Minister (John Prescott) a couple of years back when a protester threw an egg at him. Prescott just turned round and decked the bloke, with a well place straight left to the jaw!!

It's a shame gun culture in america denies you the chance to experience such delightful moments!!!

[edit on 31/8/04 by muppet]

join