It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marine in critical condition after OccupyOakland

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I realize it is extreme, but thats how it is.

Hold them accountable in a system that will protect them 80% of the time?

This is getting BEYOND ridiculous - they only let you keep protesting to let you think you're doing something.

This is giving you an illusion of power/change.

No change will happen, until someone dies as a result of being fed up!

Speaking of which, where is another crazed IRS guy to fly a plane into some government establishment when you need'em?
edit on 27-10-2011 by GrimTroll because: (no reason given)

If peaceful protest is the way to achieve the change we want - All I have to say is, if they decide to just shut us up, they have that power, they have the individuals who are STUPID and COWARDLY enough to join this movement against the people!

Also, we do not fight wars in other countries with cardboard signs, we go over with weapons and fire-power.
You want change? MAKE THEM FEEL IT!

If you want something done, you have to take action and DO it.
not just stand and talk about it, even if you are outside with a thousand other people doing it!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I wont be brought into line by anyone.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gamesmaster63

I am absolutely appalled and disgusted by the behavior of members of many of our police forces. I have always been a supporter of the rule of law, but this is not law, this is vigilantism performed by people in uniform who are supposed to serve and protect the very people they are harming.

I'm sure you're not surprised. It's been moving in this direction fro the last half a century. It's surprising that there are still people who want to be a part of the police force or the prisons. They can't see reality.

You are a supporter of the Rule of the Law? How about Natural Law? Natural law is the laws of reality. Rule of the Law is Man's Laws. Did you realize exactly what you seem to be implying? It's a serious stance. George Bush suggested moving away from The Law of The Jungle (Natural Law) and embracing the Rule of The Law (Man's Laws). Those are very esoteric terms. They aren't 'innocent' turns of speech, in my mind.

I'm not accusing you of being any particular way, just asking for clarification. Perhaps in your reality, it means something entirely different.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrimTroll

THEY DO NOT CARE! - WAKE THE # UP!

You're going to fix this, by showing you're not afraid!
Screw Wallstreet - Storm the White House and take back what is yours - bring weapons to defend yourself.

A militia of force and truth will lay the way.

edit on 27-10-2011 by GrimTroll because: @ Nebula

I respectfully disagree. I think it shows much more courage to be better than those who oppress us. Show them you're not afraid by refusing to play into their inciting of violence. They want you to be violent so that they can kill you without remorse. Show them that you are better by continuing to protest peacefully instead of succumbing to their tactics and make yourself the better person. Martin Luther King and Oscar Romero were two who lived this mentality, some of the most inspirational bringers of change that there have been.

Cops are human too, and even the most warped human brains have a conscience. Bravely force them to exercise their conscience by refusing to fight violently, even if it means you get hurt.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The fact is this, there shouldnt have been any riot police at any of the Occupy protests at all. The fact that they were even there, the fact that they were dressed up in thier best stormtrooper gear, the fact that they were even permitted to leave the station house with gas canisters and rubber bullets, IS A TRAVESTY !

These people were NOT rioting, and as such should not have been fired upon. Two officers injured that night is NOTHING, and means NOTHING. For all we know , they could just as easily have tripped on the way out the van, and sprained thier little ankles! And as far as paint throwing is concerned, lets have a sense of perspective. Paint is not harmful. Tear gas is. When protesters throw tear gas, feel free to throw it back, but the armour worn on the face and body by riot police means that if they have been "attacked" with paint, then guess what? THEY DONT CARE A DAMN! It doesnt hurt them, and the dry cleaning bill is much better than anyone opposing the Occupy movement deserves!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

I started to put something on this thread but I read your post and you covered it beautifully. Thank you very much and well said. Also S and F OP this is big news.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929

THEY DO NOT CARE! - WAKE THE # UP!

You're going to fix this, by showing you're not afraid!
Screw Wallstreet - Storm the White House and take back what is yours - bring weapons to defend yourself.

A militia of force and truth will lay the way.

edit on 27-10-2011 by GrimTroll because: @ Nebula

I respectfully disagree. I think it shows much more courage to be better than those who oppress us. Show them you're not afraid by refusing to play into their inciting of violence. They want you to be violent so that they can kill you without remorse. Show them that you are better by continuing to protest peacefully instead of succumbing to their tactics and make yourself the better person. Martin Luther King and Oscar Romero were two who lived this mentality, some of the most inspirational bringers of change that there have been.

Cops are human too, and even the most warped human brains have a conscience. Bravely force them to exercise their conscience by refusing to fight violently, even if it means you get hurt.

You know, I understand what you're saying, and in all fairness, it is a more mature way to go about it.
But my god, how many times are you gonna have your face stepped on by a boot before you fight back - it can really only go so far, until they thin us out so bad, that we do not even count, and our "Bigger men" additudes will just disintegrate as a failed attempt by a group of crazed revolutionists. (or whatever spin they put on us) - at that point, noone will care what happens to those last remaining few!

Something has to HAPPEN - an event, like a cop "accidentally" shooting a kid with a tear gas cannister.

I mean a vet is bad enough, but we need to get peoples sensibilities flared up!

(P.S: I am not one to induce a riot mentality - that is dangerous - I am for The Organized Truth Force)

Buut - That vet getting pelted should have been grounds for a oppressive riot!

I am almost conviced we can not achieve a "peace" standard on earth for many many years, as long as these kinds of governments are in power!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There are two types of people.

Those who blindly accept and follow authority.

And those who don't.

Figure out which of those that apply to you and act on it.
At least your conscious will always be clear.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
From the videos I've watched involving Occupy Oakland, the police gave clear warnings that they were going to shoot tear gas, etc., into the crowds if they did not disperse. When the police say that, they mean it. You should expect if you're going to remain there, you may be hit by something. Whether it's wrong or right for the police to be shooting things into the crowd is a whole different debate, but the fact is, get the hell out of the area when they issue the warnings or you risk being injured. It's just common sense.

Secondly, speaking for myself only, there are no vets in these recent wars that I believe were "fighting for my rights" here in America. That is a load of crap. I'm sorry if that offends, but I'm tired of people putting these vets up on a pedestal like they've done me a favor, because the opposite is true. They blindly followed the government's direction when it was clear there was no need for these wars. If people can't see that after all this time, then there is something drastically wrong. In my mind, the fact that this man is a vet is irrelevant.

When the police say to disperse....disperse.......

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

But my god, how many times are you gonna have your face stepped on by a boot before you fight back - it can really only go so far, until they thin us out so bad, that we do not even count, and our "Bigger men" additudes will just disintegrate as a failed attempt by a group of crazed revolutionists. (or whatever spin they put on us) - at that point, noone will care what happens to those last remaining few!

Something has to HAPPEN - an event, like a cop "accidentally" shooting a kid with a tear gas cannister.

I think that the power of the people goes a lot further than you might think. There's 300 Million of us and less than a million of them. 300 people coming at 1 person full force will cow anyone, regardless of if those 300 people resort to violence or not.

If you watch the film Romero (I watched that yesterday, which is why I am thinking about it), at one point, the cathedrel gets taken over by the army. Archbishop Romero and a priest friend go inside to try to get the Eucharist out of the tabernacle, and an army guy takes his machine gun and shoots the tabernacle, desecrating the Eucharist. Romero tries to pick up the Eucharist alone, but he is forcibly removed from what used to be his cathedral. But then, he comes back in, this time with all of the people who were watching outside walking with him. The guy who previously desecrated the Eucharist stands down, even though he has a gun, because he knew that he cannot take on 200 something people that are all coming at him full force. Romero and his people didn't have to resort to violence, they simply had to stand in solidarity. They took back the cathedral - true story.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Please tell me that was photoshopped. If that was a real picture I hope Karma gets to work on that disgusting cop because he obviously has no soul. BTW I am not against cops, but they are human. You are gonna have some good ones and you're gonna have some bad ones. They need to do a better job of weeding the bad ones out.

Yeah I agree, not all cops are bad but a lot of them are pressured into keeping silence when they see bad cops doing their dirt because of the idea of brotherhood. Higher ups and their policies and quotas are as much to blame IMO. I dont think its photoshopped but who knows. If you look at the background you can see another person pointing at what the policeman is doing. But then again the lady next to the woman being sprayed seems not in a rush or anything which is weird considering the situation so its certainly possible it's fake. Not an expert but after you saying that I took a deeper look and maybe you are right.
edit on 27-10-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Would you mind explaining to me, how a proportionate response to a refusal to disperse, is a tear gas can? I do not give a fig wether they shouted it from the roof tops , shone lazer signs on the buildings on the street, and had an opera signer explain things for them to the tune of the Verdi Requiem. It does not change the fact that using riot tactics on protestors is an abuse of the equipment AND the legislature which approves thier use.

If the people in the street were rioting, (which is actualy a term to describe a narrow set of events, none of which were happening in Oakland by all accounts) then I could understand what happened, but this was a protest, which is a different kettle of fish, and protected by various U.S. and international laws.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Alright. So where did it become okay to use tear gas as a first response? It matters not if they are blocking the way, they are peaceful protesters, and you can grab them and take them away. But you must resort to using tear gas? and rubber bullets? and sound cannons? I have lost even more respect for some of the police. There are pictures of the marine, and other people in the link, beware, some are bloody. One photographs a woman in a wheelchair coming out of a cloud of tear gas. The marine got smashed in the head with a tear gas canister (or perhaps a rubber bullet), he has a fractured skull, and brain swelling. God bless.

This is going to invoke more of a response from the marines and military, I am not military, but i have the understanding that they are like brothers, they fight side by side. And after this, i suspect an increased military presence at any Occupy encampment.

Military like this man, will always have a place in my heart for standing up for what they believe in. Peace.

What kind of coverage did that police crackdown get in the US mainstream media? Just curious.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
If this Marine dies, I'm fairly certain that WILL be the straw that breaks the camels back.

On a side note, can you imagine what things would be like if the OWS protesters brought their guns to the protests like the tea baggers did? Would we have seen this same kind of response from the police? Or would we have seen the same "tolerance" given to the tea baggers packing heat?
edit on 26-10-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

The American people won't do jack. The camel's back should have been broken long ago, for many reasons and for many unwarranted death. If this guy dies, it will just be one more body for the illuminati to check off the list in their pursuit to depopulate the population surplus. As rigid as the aforementioned statement seems, remember, it's not my plan and I want no one to die. I am just stating a truth to a proverbial statement about "breaking the camel's back", that I have seen for some years now. The illuminati camel is made of iron and the best way to destroy iron is to turn up the heat until the melting point. Which will not happen, because we are almost enslaved now, they are way ahead. I know, I know, I have heard it all before....don't discount the American people and their resolve. Don't count them out. It's just a matter of time....we have heard it all for years.....yet, we have seen very little in the way of accomplishment of regaining our country and re-establishing our constitution. The Illuminati will win, unless we meet their strength and force. It's always about balance and they have the military, police, FBI, CIA, NSA, countless organizations that rule our lives by metrics on a daily basis. The next step is the "chip" which is the last metric control device they will need, because then if you protest they will just turn off your chip and you will be an outcast to society and can buy no food or shelter for your family. This whole recession is a design to get you to beg for this chip. People will do anything to keep themselves and their children from starving. Don't take it though, it's a one way ticket to Hell and it IS foretold of in the bible despite what all these Satanist and Atheists say. I have written proof, in a book over 2000 years old, that the "mark" was foretold of...the others...they have nothing but verbal denial and disbelief. At any rate, The Illuminati are way too big as a power, and way to surreptitious to even be known. This situation with the marine will be nothing more than a headline that is denied by everyone, such as Herman Cain, laughed off, and gone next week. The reason I use Herman Cain as an example, is because of what he says about the protesters being jealous of the rich, as to the reason they are out there....not because they got ripped off by the rich and left destitute in the streets. this is how I know he is one of them...they are so out of touch with humanity and even humanness in general.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is there any updates on the condition of this marine? Has the Officer in question been suspended, or put on administrative leave. Is there an investigation been launched?

I know a lot of questions. If anyone has any updates I would appreciate it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

even the most warped human brains have a conscience.

Not true, psychopaths have no conscience.
Psychopathy is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of any empathy and remorse.

We are dealing with psychopaths they must be dealt with.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Would you mind explaining to me, how a proportionate response to a refusal to disperse, is a tear gas can? I do not give a fig wether they shouted it from the roof tops , shone lazer signs on the buildings on the street, and had an opera signer explain things for them to the tune of the Verdi Requiem. It does not change the fact that using riot tactics on protestors is an abuse of the equipment AND the legislature which approves thier use. If the people in the street were rioting, (which is actualy a term to describe a narrow set of events, none of which were happening in Oakland by all accounts) then I could understand what happened, but this was a protest, which is a different kettle of fish, and protected by various U.S. and international laws.

You didn't read my post very well, did you? I clearly stated that the issue of whether or not the tear gas, etc, was justified was the subject for another debate. I was addressing the issue that it's not wise to stand around after the police warn you that they are going to use such tactics. If you get hurt because you refuse to leave, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

If you're asking me if I think the use of tear gas and rubber bullets was excessive, then based upon what I saw in the videos, I believe it was excessive. However, I wasn't there. Sometimes videos don't paint the whole picture. These protests did not appear to be aggressive....but if the protestors were violating other laws regarding where they were allowed to congregate/loiter, etc., then the police are going to have to disperse them SOME way. My point is, when they threaten to use tear gas and rubber bullets, get the hell out of there because they mean it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GrimTroll

Oh yeah that sounds great! Everyone can bring weapons, beat up and kill each other, stab some cops...you know really riot! I'm sure that would accomplish a whole lot. It is your way of thinking that is completely wrong with this world.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Is there any updates on the condition of this marine? Has the Officer in question been suspended, or put on administrative leave. Is there an investigation been launched?

No one will be suspended. The crowd was warned and they refused to disperse. It really is that simple, whether you like it or not.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

I know a lot of questions. If anyone has any updates I would appreciate it.

Here is what I have found on his condition....numerous news outlets reporting the same thing:

He’s now sedated and suffering from brain swelling. Doctors say Olsen is in “critical condition” and could die of his injury.

An update on Olsen’s condition is expected later this morning.

www.rawstory.com...

Regarding an investigation into the incident:

The police officers involved in the action that left an Iraq War veteran in critical condition during the Occupy Oakland crackdown on Wednesday now face a major, “level-one” investigation, Police Chief Howard Jordan told KGO-TV. What does that mean? Well, the investigation will be treated as if the officers had used lethal force.

“A Level 1 investigation involves not only Internal Affairs, but the district attorney and the office of the Inspector General,” reports Business Insider.

www.theblaze.com...

UPDATE:

Update: Scott Olsen upgraded to “fair condition.”

Olsen has survived the night. While he remains in critical care due to brain swelling, he has been upgraded by doctors to “fair condition,” according to The Associated Press.

edit on 27-10-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join