It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marine in critical condition after OccupyOakland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
wow... that is terrible. I hope the marine will recover.

I watched the vid and I get a sense that the Government want to push the people into a civil war.

I am still shocked from seeing the extreme force used in Oakland.

reply to post by Itop1

that brought a tear to my eye. Just appalling turn of events.

edit on 26-10-2011 by Thurisaz because: add link

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
How will the public react to a War Veteran being seriously injured , only I have my fingers crossed this individual survives. What is going to happen if he dies. That is my question.

Are we at an impass now? For the people of this world to unite and tell our governments to stop.

edit on 26-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

A guy once said a long time ago;

"Give me Liberty or give me death"

I figure that if this war veteran dies, it should be a clear message to the people that they don't get to choose between liberty and death anymore. Liberty has been taken out of the equation.

The guy stood for liberty. Will he be remembered in the history books as a patriot or a domestic terrorist?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Seems to me that the "marine" forgot his chem bio training the dude knew better.

Sorry but for those who are holding up vets to justify their cause all anyone has to do is remind them of the " John Kerry's" out there.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

It would be pretty much standard practice to utilize area of effect deployments (tear gas / pepper spray / pepper balls).

The goal in that instance is to get the crowd to disperse using the least amount of force necessary. As with any delpoyment there is the risk of injury.

With that being said my thoughts and prayers go out to the Marine who was injured.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
These Cops sure know how to dig there own graves.

Good job for smoking out handcaps people in wheelchairs with tear gas and cracking skulls of veterens for PEACE! This will really gets the people on your side!

NOT
edit on 26-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Somehow I dont believe the idea is to get people on side with the police .
I believe tptb are trying to set up violent confrontations and show who is boss by using their men in black troops against the people .
The idea needs to be faces squarely that you have an occuppying army already that will be used against the citizens.
It seems this blacxk army has no aligences to the people of their country as is always the way .

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
If there are any military in the audience, what is your view on it?
I believe that the military men/women have a bond, stronger than just any old bond. A war bond. They fought together in the war. It will incite anger among a lot of people i do believe. If this man dies, it will be the turning point i do believe. It just brings more military into the mix. And they are tougher than cops ever will be.

Veterans fought a war, and now they're fighting one at home against people sworn to protect the people.

If you are given a warning, heed it! I keep hearing how all of these "Occupy" protests are supposed to be peaceful, but, a lot of people keep shooting their mouths off about violence.

As far as the clown here advocating the "open carry law" is concerned, the people in support of the "Occupy" movement should be jumping his crap, but I haven't seen anyone doing it.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The pictures of the police in riot-gear is very.. eerie, it reminds me of something like Killzone..
They are like storm troopers, and yes. If this marine dies (i hope not), the stick will break. And you think tear gas and rubber bullets are going to stop people?

People are very resourceful, Make home-made smoke bombs.

Yeah...
here, learn from the greek people, lol:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
to all you people asking how will people react well let me tell ya

it will be exactly the same these protest's are going no where fast

they need to step up for them to be worthwhile

peace

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theruthlessone

Its true as i have said before here , no need to protest if there is not a major step up of people behind it. Libyan people had 1 million out on the street supporting their life with Gaddafi .

It may not make a differences as in Libya case , but at least you know you have the backing of the people . If no backing is there , then there is no point in it all .

Although all great protests marches of bygone eras have been long and sustained . I wonder how many women stood up to get the vote . See we laugh at that idea now . The Idea that women had no vote , that only men did . How strange , but thats how the men thought back then and the women had to do battle to win that right .

I wonder if they en mass refused sex with the men ...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

It's really not good to piss off Marines.

They just showed this on cnn last night and all was well,they were complementing them as to how organized and peaceful it was compared to other places.Well the police changed that real quick
edit on 26-10-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I would like to know the name of the policeman who shot the object into the Marine's face. Does anyone the policeman's name?------------------------

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

"Alright. So where did it become okay to use tear gas as a first response?"

Assuming it was 1st.. police are supposed to, used to back in my day, follow the "escalation, de-escalation of force" doctrine. If 'they', or a suspect, backs down or gets aggressive, the police respond in kind. It was standard POST (Police Officer Standards & Training) / FBI handed down academy training. Use of force stuff.

Many many times during the 92 LA riots...where the police stood down, stood by.. there were fewer confrontations A tactic widely media criticized for "allowing looting". Indeed.. looting was tacitly allowed, as long as people were not being hurt. Defending "life" before property. Once a pace was picked clean, advancing was easier.

Post 9/11, part of the fascist group-think shift, is more militaristic.. show of force, pro-active get the enemy before they get you BS.. never know who could be a boogie-man "terrorist", eh?.. no longer is Joe Dirtbag just a loser, hes a possible domestic terrorist.

The man has been getting ready for this kind of civil unrest for years. All that wazoo riot gear local police wear?, every small dept has a tank now.. look it up, comes from Federal funding.

Thank republican & democrat voters, they keep the plan rolling along.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by AnonymousFem

And say to me the Police was justified in what they did. And also how do you feel now, one of those who fought for your country, has now been injured.

He should have known better. We're trained to avoid such shenanigans for a reason. You end up being -the- 5-O'Clock news.

People love soldiers in their own way. To some, they are romantic, gallant figures; to others, they represent everything that they fear. The actions us military personnel take in the civilian world tend to carry immense weight because of our famous/infamous marginalization.

He shouldn't have been there, plain and simple. His status as a veteran should have been left out of the issue, entirely. His -individual- actions reflect upon the uniform he once wore.

He's now been injured and compromised. If "# hits the fan" and we do need armed citizens - he's out of commission and also labeled himself as a threat to various parties in the wings.

Hence why I don't ever show up at protests/demonstrations. I'll be there when it matters, voting on legislation or participating in open floor discussions; or stalking through the streets with an assault rifle in pursuit of enemies - there's not much need to draw more attention to myself or my affiliations than that.

I found your post very thought provoking and raising some very good points. I can certainly see and understand that point of view too. It wouldn't have been any better if this had happened to an ordinary civilian and I know its easy to get lost in the emotion but I suppose its just because of the ...whats the word? Irony? Its not the right word but the best I can do right now.

I mean, he did his time in Hell (combat), came home, went to a protest some time later and became a serious casualty himself. Like a previous poster mentioned, in this clip there is little footage of what happened before he got hit with the cannister (rubber bullet was the first report on ATS) or caused things to become so escalated but it did look pretty wild to me.

I do not agree with your point about his actions "reflecting" (I assume you mean that in a negative way). Why should having performed military service exclude someone from having an opinion or the right to voice that by their presence at a peaceful protest? Whether it is a smart thing to do is another matter and for every individual to decide I think. I remember John Kerry being in a protest years ago. He almost made it to Presidential status many years later. Some people actually claim he did win but the vote was rigged. I digress. I did double check, the injured man is wearing at least a camoflagey type shirt but open and with a civilian t shirt on. Friends in civilian dress shout "Medic!" which sounds like a battlefield cry so they could possibly be fellow veteran friends but they are citizens in this instance.

It is at least nice to hear you have a cool and clear head and are ready and waiting if that time should come though without. I think some vets are possibly just trying to lend moral support and possibly experience in hostile situations and that is just brotherly and imho also to be respected. Respect is not the same as admire. It leaves you free ;-)

It went differently in New York I think it was. A rather large African American veteran in camos had a very different effect on the Police there. He was shouting, pure reason. And boy were they listening to him. He had something like 8-10 Police Officer's almost in a daze. You could see by the look on their faces that they were almost listening to his words. It was poetry in motion. No violence at all. His body language came more over as if he was pleading with them. He ended up on some talk show.

Anyway, good points you made. Made me think a little. Thanks.

My thoughts and heart to the injured man. I hope he receives good medical attention and recovers speedily.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
OK. Mods closed another thread and redirected us to here so, back to this one and as a continuance to posters on the other thread....
My queastions are these.

How is it a violent assault on Police if they set up an arbitrary road block type thing and refuse to let people pass? Are the protestors armed? Are they wearing any kind of body armour? Carrying pitchforks and lanterns? Are they burning property, harming others or doing anything illegal apart from being there? Where is the freedom to the right of assembly and peacful protest? Like so many have said, they are just the dirty stinking masses taking drugs, banging on drums and waving signs. I may well be wrong but I don't see how limiting their peaceful movements is going to help.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I am not military,

You are now!
This is a pivotal point in history my friend and anyone who takes a stand against this oppressive regime is most certainly military. You are a member of the people's military.Everyone who had been a part of this movement is a member.

People are fighting.
Fighting against oppression.
Fighting for freedom.

Which do you think has done more for restoring our freedoms?
The war on terror or these protests?

Who do you think is a more dangerous enemy?
Who do you fear more when you lay your head down at night?

The Taliban or

OUR GOVERNMENT?!?!?!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by camaro68ss
These Cops sure know how to dig there own graves.

But who's going to do anything?

This is the problem... there have been so many instances of police brutality and overreacting and so on in the last few weeks.... and what's happened?

Nothing.

Seriously, who is going to bring these assholes to account?

There are many all over the world who go against the government and police though they end up in prison labeled the criminal.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Watch this one. People want to help the Guy lying injured on the Ground. What does the Police do? Throwing a Flashbank into the Crowd who are TRYING TO HELP THE GUY. WTF? (30 Second Mark)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

The United States Government looks like it has declared WAR on its citizens by watching footage such as this.

Seriously, how would you know otherwise?

link   

edit on 26-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 26-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join