It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Iceland Should Be in the News, But Isn't (!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrBlueSky
reply to post by mr-lizard

and thats why when the uk people got sick of it too and demanded to hold a referendum to get out of europe the prime minister sed "no" thengoverment told the politicians in house of commons "anyone who votes for this is finished"ha! democracy eh! roll on scotlands independence.

First well done for Icelanders , they have balls and are proud to use them !
let them control their own country and not some bankster . coroporation!.

Yeh now would be the perfect time for Alex Salmond to call our referendum and then impliment a constitution of our own !

we dont need to be part of a failing system , however our own banks were also part of the mess , so they should be held accountable too!
edit on 27-10-2011 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
And wouldn't you know it, a little research into who these foreign bankers are: Jews.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think this case backs up my points made in other threads regarding we should be going after the corruption in government and dealing with that, then we will be able to effectively deal with the bankers and corporations.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

The Longbowmen gave the two finger salute to the French at the Battle of Agincourt.The French threatened to cut off the shooting fingers of all longbomen after they won the battle.It means victory but it also means bring it on, and a refusal to be intimidated and confidence and it means f**k you.I think austerity is like telling us they are cutting off our shooting fingers.They know we are longbowmen.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Iceland could be a great country to start experimenting with self sufficient technologies. They have to as few countries would want anything to do with them the next few decades. They (the people) can blame their government and punish them for what happened but they were there every step of the way. It just looks so hypocritical.

I'm from Holland by the way, my society isn't much better even though I don't think my countrymen and women would rise up against banks and/or any politicians try to prosecute them. Don't know why but I just don't see it happen, it's just not civilized. At times it appears we're contributing more than other countries, either getting ripped off by Icesave or having to pay/invest more to the EU than we will receive back.
edit on 27/10/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I am glad Iceland took a stand - it would be an interesting world of more citizens were able to band together and force their politicians to listen. I suspect the small population and (I am assuming) relatively homogeneous culture helped a lot here.

However, I read the English translation of their proposed constitution and wasn't that impressed. It's full of "people have the right to do anything" statements followed by "unless the state deems the don't" caveats, and "the government shall be open and transparent unless the government decides it shouldn't be" type of stuff.

Looks like they are trying to turn it into a politically correct nanny state with a government that can change the rules as they go...not very appealing from where I sit. I think they need to have a few more revisions, but I am not an Icelander and I don't get a say, so perhaps they are happy enough with it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I was there in labor-day and independence day, and I've got to say that I have never seen or felt such a strong sense of unity and the realization of the power that they hold over their government. Considering they are not paying a single krona more for taxation purposes than before the 2008 economy crisis, they are indeed a role model for the world, showing who should have the real power!

Go Iceland!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Toolatetotalk

30,000 people is about 0.01% of America's population.

Interesting post OP, thank you.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

I agree with you. I read every word and there is too much leeway "unless the law blah blah blah" clauses in there. Each and every law should have to pass by a 2/3 vote of the population and those same passed laws should be subject to change by a 2/3 vote of the entire population. Then it would have some teeth.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Americans are far too partisan to ever achieve what Iceland has. That, of course, is just my humble opinion.

IRM

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well i couldnt help but reply since im from Iceland. I wish we were that firm on our stand and thrown some of the people responsable in jail.. We didnt. It was about 10 persons who single handedly were responsable for the collapse in iceland. None of them are in jail, all of them but 2 have left the country and moved theyr´e wealth from icelandic banks to the caymans and luxemborg and so forth.

The situation in iceland could be better but its looking dark for middle class in this country. Were just about 300.000 here and im reading that up to 70.000 homes could be bankrupt. There are companys going under everyday and the gas price, food price, tobacco and everything thats import its just Ridicoulsly overpriced. A cigarette pack costs 10 dollars .. The gas the liter goes for a 25 bucks.. If the situation doesnt change soon its not looking good here in iceland. And very little has been achieved. Our protests are very weak, few people show up and nothing has changed since 2007 when the collapse began. We havent changed our constitution, WE still have a goverment that doesnt do # for the people in the country.. Just hope this changed that has been predicted to happen to your self conscious does happen soon.

Peace from iceland!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

We are just to dumb down to understand what needs to be done........

I'm not so sure we are but can not say what needs to be done here with the police, bankers, politicians and lawyers because Big Bro Google is watching and we might get arrested.

Lets just say it has gone from being a mumble to a shout and the mask is starting to slip but do keep an eye out for false flag race attacks with the media playing it's usual part in these games.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I love holland ,every time I visit there, the people are so friendly and welcoming , I have yet to meet a disgruntled dutchman or woman .
I enjoy it thoroughly every time I visit and its always so nice and flat !

Id like to live there , but not sure how I would get a job , despite most dutch people speaking english very well

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

People need to stop blaming government, when they vote in politicians who want to eliminate representative government and let the banker rule over the planet, and start blaming the real culprits, the bankers. Stop being such programmed zombies people.

The world economy is a giant house of cards, with crooks claiming they are owed lots of money from people who have no money to give. The collapse of the world economy has just began.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

why are you and everyone else putting ron paul on a pedestal he is a politician. he is a liar like all the others before him. I am somewhat shocked by most of the members here at ats that promote ron paul as the hope and change messiah that he is not. He says words you wish to hear like obama did when he was getting elected they all do. say words you wish to hear ultimately they will say what needs to be said to get elected how many promises made on the campaign trail get broken or swept under the rug. you people have lost your scrutiny of the truth. politicians lie they all lie. they have to lie to get elected. on the voters ballet there should be another box after all the ego maniacal morons, none of the above, that box would get my x

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Its nice to see a country that still has balls to stand up to the Establishment, rewrite their own Constitution, and give the rest of the world leaders, the middle finger. Brilliant response to the Cuba remarks also, saying that if they accepted they would become a Haita of the North. Love it

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by andrisam

sorry to hear how hard life in iceland has become. i guess tptbs are committing economic war on iceland.

many of us root for your country its good to hear about some success against tptb.

slightly off topic but....

dont know if this is allowed but since icelands population is around the 300k mark it wouldnt be that hard to help them fight. maybe we could organise a free iceland campaign and if a bunch of us committed say five bucks a month or so for a few months. screw organisation or commities we help encourage others and as individuals we mail 5$ to a random icelander with a go iceland note. though it would be nice to have a thread that could go over basic strategies like to send actual cash or do we use an internet or check etc. imo we would want the cash in the hands of the citizens without the govts knowledge. as well as a basic how to for new people to make it very easy to get a random icelanders contact info or a way to get them the money.

this would be a great experiment to prove that stimulus going to the peasants will recover an economy better than stimulating banks/corporations. imo the best % chance for success would be committing to a small amount like 5$ a month. this would give us a greater chance to get a higher number of donors. it wouldnt take huge numbers maybe 5k freedom fighters for say 4 months would have enough of an impact to get icelands economy revved up.

people say they would(some have) charge a machine gun for freedom/liberty. but would you commit 5$ a month for 4 months? if it definatley went 100% to a person? no bureaocracy? no group sing alongs? though we would have to self motivate to send 5$ 4 times a huge sacrifice. i wouldnt know how to start a thread but if anyone is interested id luv to join as well as send my fiver. a free from banks tentacles country would piss off the banks/tptb more than anything we could legitimatley try in america at this time.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

There are two very important points to keep in mind here.

1. Iceland is still following through with very painful economic austerity measures.

2. We cannot compare Iceland to for example say, Greece.

The banks got Iceland into the mess they were in. The Greek government got Greece into the trouble they are in.

Greece has a hugely bloated bureracracy that needs its fat trimmed. It runs massive social program after social program that need to be reigned in, and it holds nationalized businesses, for example the Greek railway that year after year post huge losses. Why hasnt this railway been sold? Why hasnt government been cut? Why do capable citizens who are more than able to work given welfare checks with very little requirements?

Even if Greece cuts itself loose from the EU and prints its own money and defaults on its debt, they have no choice but to enact tough austerity. The only alternative is printing money to pay for its huge deficit budgets. This leads to massive inflation and eventual bankrupcy and much worse economy than accepting austerity and fixing their books.
edit on 27-10-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I love holland ,every time I visit there, the people are so friendly and welcoming , I have yet to meet a disgruntled dutchman or woman .
I enjoy it thoroughly every time I visit and its always so nice and flat !

Id like to live there , but not sure how I would get a job , despite most dutch people speaking english very well

Sure there are enough digruntled people in my country, just as in every other. It's unlikely any dutchmen would hold an Icelandic tourist accountable for Icelands refusal to repay debts or what happened with Icesave. Just as people don't stop visiting Greek restaurants because they disagree with Greece's politics.

It is a nice country but there are more and more people who need help because of debts, more people at the foodbanks which have become more popular the last decade, more people losing their jobs and becoming unemployed, pension funds who are getting into trouble, more people who can't pay their mortgages, gas and electricity prices rising. Not the end of the world but it doesn't appear to get any better any time soon more the opposite.
edit on 27/10/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Instead of running to Iceland, I say let's stay here and try to implement what took place there, here.

I'm not a big fan of running away.
I like to stand my ground.

Jail the bankers.

Except you cannot do what they did in Iceland in the USA.

The dollar would be very quickly un-pegged from oil, and the euro would become the new standard. This would usher in a very quick and complete collapse of the US economy. You are running so deep into the red no austerity measures could save you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join