It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's obvious that extraterrestrials exist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It's really a no brainer. The universe is fined tuned for life to exist. So the universe will produce life just like it produces stars, planets and more. Is there just moons and planets in our solar system? Of course not. Our universe produces moons, stars, planets and life. It's fined tuned to produce all of these things.

Here's a recent article on Popsci. The field of Astrobiology is essentially the study of extraterrestrial life and where and how it could survive.

“The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms,” is how Andrei Finkelstein, the director of the Russian Academy of Sciences’s Applied Astronomy Institute, explained his ambitious timeline for finding alien life to an audience of astrobiologists and reporters in June. “There is life on other planets, and we will find it in 20 years."

But Tullis Onstott, a geologist at Princeton University who specializes in astrobiology, makes an even more ambitious prediction. “In the next 15 years,” he says, “we will likely discover life on an exoplanet near us.” Scientists have long predicted the discovery of extraterrestrial life, but Finkelstein and Onstott have good reason to be optimistic. Researchers are devoting more resources to the search for alien life than ever before, and they are getting some enticing results.

www.popsci.com...

It's pretty obvious.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I do not think many people question whether there is life out there, I think they question whether it has made it's way to earth or not.

With the amount of planets out there, and the amounts of stars, to not believe in life beyond our puny little planet shows ignorance.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

I was with my friend one time and I saw some green light flashing through my window, I had no idea what the hell it was, but it was insane. They are out there, I just really hope the transformers exist, that would be cool.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The thing that gets me is the way people rule out planets as being unable to sustain human life, based solely on our planet's life pattern.

Life has a remarkable ability to adapt. Just because humans on this planet breathe in an atmosphere of this much oxygen, this much carbon etc doesn't mean other human beings evolved on other planets are doing the same.

I've heard there are spheres where a type of non-breathing human being exists, who take in their energy from the sphere's electrical and other currents. I've heard that one such race of "modified human beings" exist on our moon.

Is this true ? Don't know. But it seems ridiculous to assume that the human life pattern on this planet is the template throughout a remarkably diverse universe. That kind of thinking harkens back to the days when Galileo was being harassed for saying the universe did not revolve around our planet.

As my signature statement below says "It's not what you don't know that hurts the most, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so. :-)

edit on 26-10-2011 by upstairsjim because: left out a word

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yeah, people who say "aliens do not exist" get really on my nerves
Try to be patient with the whole alien thing, one day ill be running down the streets and calling all my friends being like "I EFFIN TOLD YOU SO!!!" It will be a great day

But considering the vast size of our universe, (not even including the multiverse), is definitely built for life. We could have life out in the coldness of space, and not know it, because we cannot detect it.

Its ignorant to think we are alone.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If you were not from Earth and came from a peaceful, happy, healthy civilization that put life above all else... would you want to come to Earth for a visit? I wouldn't, I'd treat this planet like that bad neighborhood where gangs ran wild.

This is what happens when someone tries to visit....

edit on 26-10-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The universe is fined tuned for life to exist.

Not really, most of the universe is vacuum, with the majority of the detectable matter contained in stars and blackholes.

In certain conditions, life will probably evolve. But look at our own solar system. We have eight (or updwards of ten, depending on your preferences, but officially 7).
Of those, only one is known for sure to support life. Of the others, we still hope to detect life in the form of microbes, or signs of past life, on Mars.
Titan and Enceladus both exhibit conditions where we could reasonably hope to find familiar forms of life, but we currently have only basic plans to get these proved.

Of the planets we've observed so far, only a very few fit into earth like categories. Most of those are much larger, and much closer to their sun than we would see as being likely to host life, again as we now it.
Further, the chances that life would evolve towards intelligence seems to be rare. It's happenedd once on our planet, if we wipe ourselves out, it might not happen again.

That said, simply off of chance we can be fairly safe assuming there is life on other planets. The universe is huge an ancient, our place in it is fairly recent.
As far as I know, no serious astronomer doubts that life exists elsewhere in the universe, oreven elsewhere in the galaxy.
Just that intelligent live regularly visits Earth.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's not a question because scientific methods were used to produce why someone saw strange looking people in a cattle field 40 years ago. The overall story is far too fascinating. Imagine how much it would change the forum if Obama said that Roswell was alien.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Aliens exist , there are probably tens if not hundreds of thousand of extraterrestrial civilizations in our Galaxy alone , to believe otherwise is arrogance at its height , what a sick joke the universe would be if we were the height of life's creation .

The question is not do they exist but are they , one or many species , visiting this planet .
I believe they have in the recent and distant past but am not convinced they still are , maybe for the reason given by JibbyJedi , they came ...they saw...and after much study decided we're just not worth it and moved on .

Who knows they may came back out of curiosity just to see if were still here .

edit on 26-10-2011 by gortex because: edit to spelllllll

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Alien life has been confirmed!.....OK so its microbes, but hey that's still a basic building block of life. Who knows whats our there, theres an equal chance that were cavemen like compared to another race as there's a chance we could be way more advanced than another.

I personally never had an encounter, but mathematical odds make me a believer.
edit on 26-10-2011 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

I was with my friend one time and I saw some green light flashing through my window, I had no idea what the hell it was, but it was insane...

No, not insane - it's just your punk kid neighbor playing with a green laser pointer
. Complain to his parents that you're going to sue for blindness. If that doesn't work hit the kid back with your old-school red one - or install one of those 300-gigwatt floodlights, subtly aimed toward your neighbor's house. That should do it.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Until somebody produces an example of extraterrestrial life, you just can't assume that it's a "given." That's because we don't even know for sure how life managed to find its way into existence on this planet. So even if there is a planet (or planets) out there with all the exact same alignments and chemicals and water and apparently everything necessary to sustain life, there's no way we guarantee it will be created there.

And it has nothing to do with arrogance and assuming we're so wonderful and unique. Being alone in the universe is nothing to be inherently proud of. Who can we show off to if we're all alone? All of our great thoughts and accomplishments? Just echoes lost in time.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

"We are all made of stars."

All life has sprung from the building blocks of the universe, from that moment of the big bang, we are one. It would make sense that all animals/species in the universe, while looking different, are more closely related than just looks. We share the same atoms, molecules, chemicals, and minerals. This should apply to us Terrans and extraterrestrials.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nothing is certain
but its is highly probable that extra terrestrial life exists.
Carbon base life forms require a habitable zone that allows water to exist as a liquid.
This is the solvent for the bio chemistry.
It has been theorized that non-carbon biochemistry can also yield life.
just remember your scientific method so as not to present Non sequitur arguments.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

All life has sprung from the building blocks of the universe, from that moment of the big bang, we are one. It would make sense that all animals/species in the universe, while looking different, are more closely related than just looks. We share the same atoms, molecules, chemicals, and minerals. This should apply to us Terrans and extraterrestrials.

Yeah, but you can cut up a million newspapers into individual letters, put them in a bag, and shake them for a billion years, and you'll never be guaranteed that they will fall into place to create a duplicate of the New York Times dated 10/26/2011. You can even put completed DNA strands in a jar and slosh them around for a billion years, and there's no saying even a single living cell will result. Just having the pieces isn't enough. Not nearly enough.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
Nothing is certain
but its is highly probable that extra terrestrial life exists.

Really? What is that probability? I say it's 50/50.
There is either no other life out there, or there is.

just remember your scientific method so as not to present Non sequitur arguments.

One thing science will tell you is that there are singular and unique things in the universe that are not duplicated or replicated in experiment, and that the proof is in the (extraterrestrial) pudding.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

post by Blue Shift
That's because we don't even know for sure how life managed to find its way into existence on this planet.

My understanding is life started due to chemicals on this planet interacting with complex amino acids from meteors and Cosmic dust , or Star dust .
Its estimated that up to 40000 tons of Cosmic dust lands on the Earth every year .
Kinda sperm and egg situation .

So even if there is a planet (or planets) out there with all the exact same alignments and chemicals and water and apparently everything necessary to sustain life

Why would and Alien planet need to be the same as Earth ? , life here has shown itself to be highly specialized in all kinds of extreme habitats on Earth so that rule should follow , were all made of the same ingredients .

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
It's really a no brainer. The universe is fined tuned for life to exist.

"fine tuned" by whom?

Now, could you please rewrite your OP...
Just... do your hair so that it spikes out all over the place. Oh, and when you write, you have to call them "exaterrestrials", not "extraterrestrials".
And pump up the enthusiasm.

ta.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The Inverse gamler's fallacy should be considered here.

It is the fallacy of concluding, on the basis of an unlikely outcome of a random process, that the process is likely to have occurred many times before

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Yeah, but you can cut up a million newspapers into individual letters, put them in a bag, and shake them for a billion years, and you'll never be guaranteed that they will fall into place to create a duplicate of the New York Times dated 10/26/2011. You can even put completed DNA strands in a jar and slosh them around for a billion years, and there's no saying even a single living cell will result. Just having the pieces isn't enough. Not nearly enough.

This is correct to a point, but the essence of it doesn't change...even if they do not fit back together as they were, the composition hasn't changed, the atoms or molecules haven't changed. They retain their chemical make up. Its more than pieces, especially with DNA. DNA is programmed, designed specifically for a specific task. Maybe they will fit together in a different way...life has an interesting way of adapting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join