It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Smile Made My Day :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Lately I have been using up what seems to be all of my energy just to stay positive. I consider myself an upbeat person, physically, mentally and spiritually, but no matter how much I try to focus on the now, there is that looming feeling of emptiness.

After a long day of work and dealing with the usual a-holes, I was completely tapped. I decided to pop onto ATS to see what was going on and of course the usual doom, gloom and world chaos to push me yet into another state of complete bliss.
I immediately shut down my computer, put my on jacket and ventured out into what I consider one of the most beautiful times in Michigan, Fall.

As I started to walk the numbness and the chaos from the day seemed to melt away, not all of it, but a good majority of day’s tensions. The trees in Michigan are in full color and the sweet smells of the leaves are one of nature’s most intoxicating perfumes. My step seemed to get lightly and peppier, as the cool crisp fall air gently massaged my entire being, what a day I thought. I decided to go up to the local coffee shop, get an overpriced coffee and just chill out for a bit.

While people watching at the coffee shop, I noticed a mother and her maybe 10 month old in a stroller, the mother purchased a coffee and decided to sit down close to me. Her first reaction and comment when she approached the open seat near me was humbleness and apologies, she said, “I’m sorry we’ll try not to ruin your peace and quiet over here”, at which I comment, “Non-sense you’re welcome to sit there.”

With a sigh of relief, the mother proceeded to sit down and get the baby situated as well; she had brought some baby cookies and had given one of them to her son. As I sat and watched this child, he enjoyed what was the plainest cookie I had seen is a long time, but his face and emotions were one of complete happiness and joy, from consuming that cookie. The baby gummed and teethed with whatever few teeth he had, cookie slobber covered his entire face, but the child’s focus, on that cookie, is one a Zen master would envy.

After about 15 minutes of him chewing intently on that cookie, he abruptly stopped and looked up at me, with his cookie slobbered face, as he caught my eye he realized I had been watching him, so without hesitation and his only means of communication, he extended too me one of the most genuinely radiant smiles I have ever seen, one that said, “Life is really good, and I am really happy with this amazing cookie”.

A warmth and happiness overtook my entire being, a happiness that I have not felt in a long while.

As the baby was leaving with his mother, I said to her “Thanks for sitting near me, because your child made my day.” She smiled and said, in a warm tone, “thank you”.

Thought I would share something positive with all of you.

Peace out,

RT

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Beautiful post... and I agree there is nothing like the smile of a small child to bring joy to the heart.

It is so spontaneous and real... that it can't help but bring a smile to your own face..

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hearing that makes me happy.
It is a good day for a walk, I enjoyed the same a few minutes ago, helped brighten up my mood.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Nice post, nice story. It's funny how the little things make all the difference.
I wish more people would pay attention.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think you made that mother's day too.
Beautifully written, beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this, when my child was very small it was a relief to come across people who were not annoyed by the wonder and exploration of a little one. I can see the relief and expression on her face in my mind, you are very sweet.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Nice story

Babies always seem fascinated by me for some reason, and I'm a fairly normal, non-descript kind of guy, so I never did get it... Mostly, it's just kind of amusing.

Funny how we spend all of our childhood trying to be grown up, and then when we become grown-ups, all we want is to go back to the simplicity of childhood!

top topics

join