It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An opposing viewpoint is NOT a valid reason to complain & It takes two to tango

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

When a child first recognizes that a toy is "his", he identifies with it, saying, "That's MINE." Once he identifies with it, he does what he can to protect it and keep others from taking it or hurting it. That's his ego in action.

As we grow, we start to have this same feeling of identity and ownership with all our possessions and even with our opinions. We identify with our opinions and it's easy to get offended (take it personally) when someone puts out a conflicting opinion because the ego says, "That's my opinion and it's right. To disagree with me is a direct attack on ME."

If we didn't identify so strongly with our opinions, we wouldn't need to protect them. They're just opinions. Everyone has them.

So when I find myself getting upset or feeling argumentative, I look directly at my ego and I can see that I am the cause of my upset. No one else.

Remember, when you get offended, it's your ego throwing a fit.

I VIGOROUSLY AGREE.

Many posters for just that inflated ego reason

CANNOT/WILL NOT

seem to DIFFERENTIATE

BETWEEN

their assertions, writings, words, phrases, ideas, opinions . . .

and

their PERSONHOOD.

!?HELLO?!

THEY ARE *NOT* THE SAME things!

I work quite earnestly to avoid assaulting persons or personhoods.

I energetically assault absurd assertions, opinions, farcical posts.

Those with thin skins and too much ego invested in their IDEAS etc. might do well to breathe slowly 6-8 seconds in; 6-8 seconds out for 30-90 seconds before posting . . . responding.

Or, perhaps leave the thread entirely.

imho.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Bumping as a reminder

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Is sexism allowed in opposing viewpoints?

I would think ATS prohibits derogatory remarks regarding federally protected groups...?!?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

BO XIAN
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

When a child first recognizes that a toy is "his", he identifies with it, saying, "That's MINE." Once he identifies with it, he does what he can to protect it and keep others from taking it or hurting it. That's his ego in action.

As we grow, we start to have this same feeling of identity and ownership with all our possessions and even with our opinions. We identify with our opinions and it's easy to get offended (take it personally) when someone puts out a conflicting opinion because the ego says, "That's my opinion and it's right. To disagree with me is a direct attack on ME."

If we didn't identify so strongly with our opinions, we wouldn't need to protect them. They're just opinions. Everyone has them.

So when I find myself getting upset or feeling argumentative, I look directly at my ego and I can see that I am the cause of my upset. No one else.

Remember, when you get offended, it's your ego throwing a fit.

I VIGOROUSLY AGREE.

Many posters for just that inflated ego reason

CANNOT/WILL NOT

seem to DIFFERENTIATE

BETWEEN

their assertions, writings, words, phrases, ideas, opinions . . .

and

their PERSONHOOD.

!?HELLO?!

THEY ARE *NOT* THE SAME things!

I work quite earnestly to avoid assaulting persons or personhoods.

I energetically assault absurd assertions, opinions, farcical posts.

Those with thin skins and too much ego invested in their IDEAS etc. might do well to breathe slowly 6-8 seconds in; 6-8 seconds out for 30-90 seconds before posting . . . responding.

Or, perhaps leave the thread entirely.

imho.

Some of it may be attributed to thin skins, big egos, unresolved emotional problems, but perhaps also a smattering of immaturity from some.

It's when debaters completely dismiss scientific studies and evidence that may at first surprise me, but then, many studies should be explored with further individualistic research, common sense, and other points of views. Perhaps that is why I enjoy engaging in discussions on conspiracy sites...for the diversity...for the dissection of our intellectual and educational programming.

Social human communication and interaction is complex and as this social media format is a relatively new playing field, I think we all have a lot to learn.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ok, I would say most people recognise that the Fukushima is dangerous to us all.

So without naming any names, we have a couple of folks on the Fukushima thread (Part 2 of the long one) who often post the 'official' TEPCO line of arguments. These people really seem to be pushing stuff which TEPCO says and are now dominating the thread. They just keep on plugging their agenda.

Now, it has been shown many times in the past that TEPCO have lied and made false statements, and also have been altering the images which are released (of course, "in the interests of National Security"), yet they will not discuss the points but just post their chosen articles.

The point I am making is that one thread, in this example, is being taken over by (possibly paid by Japanese) people who have done nothing but post pro-nuclear pro-Fukushima information and do not enter into discussion when opposite points are raised.

It has been shown (in the thread) that the Japanese government has recruited and continue to pay people to go on the internet and to counteract "fear mongering and false information over Fukushima", and in the case of nuclear disasters there are bound to be officially paid shills who post on forums like this.

Is this a discussion or a whitewash? I call for fair play and an even match. If they wont discuss stuff and ATS wont moderate what can be done?

Are we entitled to a thread which is not dominated by pro-nuclear pro-Fukushima information or is it all in the interests of ATS 'discussion' however small the discussion amount is?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The only time I can see where it would be necessary to complain on this level isn't even about the subject matter: it would have to do with someone who chronically derails conversations into a limited set of conversations. And I'm not so sure that much would be done, given the way that these boards are set up.

Other than that, we could go further with the ego thing:

You can be egotistical, and not severely stunted with insecurity.

There's a difference in being full of yourself and some healthy self-respect. If I don't need anyone else's approval for who and what I am, then I don't need to care one bit about what they think of what I think.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
bumpity

top topics

<< 1   >>

join