It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese dealers selling 'radioactive cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is a very worrying development. I heard on the radio that just sitting in one of theses cars for one hour will give you your years maximum exposure level.Good job they have to test them for radioactivity before they can export them.www.telegraph.co.uk...

Unscrupulous used-car dealers in Japan are selling vehicles exposed to dangerously high levels of radiation to unsuspecting buyers. By Julian Ryall in Tokyo

7:00AM BST 26 Oct 2011

The vehicles appear to be outwardly sound but were owned by people living close to the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant when it was destroyed by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Others come from second-hand dealers in the north-east of Japan, with a report in the Asahi newspaper suggesting that a minivan that was originally registered in the town of Iwaki, on the edge of the 18-mile exclusion zone around the plant, tested positive for 110 microsieverts of radiation per hour. The Japanese government initially set a level of 5 microsieverts as the limit for cars to be exported to other countries, but in August tightened the rules to 0.3 microsieverts.

Dealers have long had a lucrative trade in buying up second-hand vehicles in Japan and exporting them to Russia and south-east Asia. But with those markets no closed to them because of radioactivity tests at docks, they have little choice but to dump them on the domestic market.

So far, more 660 cars have been refused export documents from Japan.
www.foxnews.com...

edit on 26-10-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Cars are the least of my worries. It won't be long before we hear about kids toys and food goods.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Cars are the least of my worries. It won't be long before we hear about kids toys and food goods.

Good point, I guess everything that comes out of Japan is tested for radiation. Something large like a TV or computer would be a worry. Although I would imagine if it did not come from Fukushima prefecture then it should be ok.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

even more worrisome is that the fda refuses to test the fish imported from japan. so we may not even hear about it at all
www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

apparently its too smelly to test for the publics safety

Also, I really don't want to have to shove a smelly fish into my Marinelli beakers and then leave it sitting out unrefrigerated for a few days while we wait for the data.

edit on 27-10-2011 by SinDefiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SinDefiant

That's incredible and you are right the chance of eating radioactive fish is very worrying. I know there is an exclusion zone in the sea around the plant where they are not allowed to fish but fish swim about its what they do.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
well lets be honest it does solve finding the car in the mall parking lot on Christmas eve.
Even easer if its already night as the car will glow in the dark.
Also as the car is now radioactive you can use that to create electricity for your Honda hybrid.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
well lets be honest it does solve finding the car in the mall parking lot on Christmas eve.
Even easer if its already night as the car will glow in the dark.
Also as the car is now radioactive you can use that to create electricity for your Honda hybrid.

I would rather have a radioactive car than a honda hybrid or Toyota prius,

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Cheap LF-A or GTR anyone? What, slightly more than average in exchange for a dam cheap supercar like those mentioned, I would.

top topics

join