It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Poll Finds a Deep Distrust of Government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
No kidding? ATS, prepare for more traffic!

Link

Some interesting excerpts from the article:

The poll findings underscore a dissatisfaction and restlessness heading into the election season that has been highlighted through competing voices from the Occupy Wall Street and Tea Party movements, a broad anti-Washington sentiment and the crosscurrents inside both parties about the best way forward. Not only do 89 percent of Americans say they distrust government to do the right thing, but 74 percent say the country is on the wrong track and 84 percent disapprove of Congress — warnings for Democrats and Republicans alike.

WOW! 89%

Almost half of the public thinks the sentiment at the root of the Occupy movement generally reflects the views of most Americans.

With nearly all Americans remaining fearful that the economy is stagnating or deteriorating further, two-thirds of the public said that wealth should be distributed more evenly in the country.

Wow...That one actually came as a surprise to me.

“Probably the government in Washington could be trusted at one time but now it seems like it’s all a game of who wins rather than what’s best for the people,” said Paulette Delgadillo, 52, a self-employed interior decorator from Tempe, Ariz.

In February, a CBS News poll found that 27 percent of the public said the views of the Tea Party movement reflected the sentiment of most Americans. In the current poll, 46 percent of the public said the same of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

LInk to charts, etc...

Don't really have any substance to add to this...Except that 2/3 of people support wealth distribution is a little crazy IMO.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I am surprised that many people are actually able to see through the b/s. But the real question is will any of this make a difference...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
They needed a poll to figure this out?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Don't worry, another "terrorist attack" and we'll get wrapped up in "patriotic" fervor and be united again.

Good info, hope my skepticism is unfounded.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

I see what you are saying, but something I realized.

Not everyone comes to ATS, not everyone has their "eye's open".

Apathy is the name of the game now, and people could care less who's doing what with their rights, who's doing it and why. They just wanna know when the Kardashians or Jersey Shore is on.

I cannot tell you how much irks me when I try to have a conversation with someone regarding our current state of affairs, and so many people just don't care.

To have the Wall Street Journal come out and say this, well, perhaps a few more people will realy begin to realize what's going on.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck

Lol!! Yeah, my husband said when I read him the OP headline:
"This just in! Results of New Poll Match Results of OLD Poll!!

For crying out loud...
And on CNN there's a "popular headline" for "53% say they are Not Occupy." Whatever.

I'm sick to exhaustion of the working people who keep saying "get a job. I've taken jobs I didn't want and didn't like."

Oh, well, how very superior of you! Yeah, I have, too -- to get through college, to feed my kids, to make sure I could meet my responsibilities. And now, in my 50s, I would STILL like to be working at ANY job, but ... you are deluded if you think it's that simple.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Originally posted by dethduck

"This just in! Results of New Poll Match Results of OLD Poll!!

To be fair, it's not the same results of the old poll. There has been a significant decrease.

And were you aware that two-thirds of the public said that wealth should be distributed more evenly in the country? I wasn't.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If money is power, and 1% have all the power, maybe wealth redistribution is needed?

I'm not saying it is, I don't know, but it seems easier to accept if I think about it like that.
Money in it's current form doesn't seem real to me - so what is it?

(Maybe it doesn't seem real because it's been so long since I had any. lol)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Okay, but let’s look at it this way. And yes, I’m aware that the system is broken, the 1% doesn’t pay their fair share of taxes or whatever…but bare with me a sec.

What if you were part of the 1%...Would you want to distribute your wealth?

Look, I know that there are people who are having a hard time finding jobs or whatever…I get it. But there are an equal amount of people who just don’t care. The “Why work? I’m gonna get money anyway” crowd.

And who’s has the authority to make people spread said wealth? The government? LOL

So you bust your ass for 40, 50 years, get to where you are, and suddenly you have to take care of other people?

Are you cool with that?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Yeah well i was Anti-Government before Ant-Government was cool.

Been preaching that to reall enemy to this nation's people is and always will be it's own Government guess it seems mainstream is a little slow on the uptake.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by Juston

I want to laugh and applaud at the same time but I might panic the cat. So the majority actually distrusts the government-you sure this poll wasn't taken on Wall Street, because that sounds like a poll thats to good to be true(there's a joke in there but I WILL refrain) but seriously this is good news, as long as we remain level-headed and avoid the violence we will overcome. Just so you know OP I am only relying on ATS for the news and current events, the MSM no longer feeds me lies(I do understand not all that is reported on MSM is a lie, but there are alot of half-truths being reported and I consider a half-truth a half-lie) and as long as the hardcore ATS members continue to be the watch-dogs on this site, I will continue to do so. Keep bringing us the good news. And let your voice be heard, even if only for a minute.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
So the majority distrusts the entire government. This means the time is NOW to strike while the iron is hot! Any revolution right now would be backed by the majority of the people.

Uh oh.

That means TPTB have the perfect opportunity to stage a fake revolution to install a new puppet who will tighten the noose even more.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

You asked specifically if **I** would like to redistribute my wealth if I were in the 1%.
Well, I'm not. I'm probably in the bottom 1% in the US right now, but I've always believed in sharing as much as I can. If everyone wanted as little as I do out of life, there would be plenty to go around, and lots of amazing libraries.
edit on 26-10-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join