It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Joe the Plumber' launches congressional bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is what the United States needs. This is what OWS should be heavily promoting.

TOLEDO, Ohio — Joe the Plumber is plunging into politics because he thinks it's about time America had a few mechanics, bricklayers and, yes, plumbers in Congress.

Samuel "Joe" Wurzelbacher was thrust into the political spotlight after questioning Barack Obama about his economic policies during the 2008 presidential campaign. He officially launched his campaign for Congress in Ohio on Tuesday night.

To me this is very promising. I do not know or endorse Wurzelbacher's politics, but I am excited that he might inspire others to do the same. I've thought for a long time the only way to return to a truly representative government in this country is to have a majority of seats in the House and the Senate held by "Joe the Plumber" everyday people types.

Wurzelbacher has shown a disdain for politicians — both Democrat and Republican. "Being a politician is as good as being a weatherman," Wurzelbacher said at a tea party rally last year in Nevada. "You don't have to be right, you don't have to do your job well, but you'll still have a job."

Hell yes. Now the responsibility rests on some of us to run for office at all levels of government, and for the rest of us to seek out, support, and spread the word about the candidates that we identify with. This is the ideal I held as a kid before the wisdom of real life experience set in and left me jaded and disenchanted. Time to shuffle the deck and vote out incumbents!

Source
edit on 26-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I'm not sure about a plumber. Perhaps an electrician or mason....

How about a respected member of ATS........are there any???

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I agree that we need more "regular people" to represent us in local, state and federal positions......but sadly Joe the Plumber is tainted goods.

He has become a celebrity of sorts, has not exibited any real understanding of how civics works and he just happens to owe the state of Ohio back taxes.

IMO, this is a joke. He made his 15mins of fame with his comments to Obama and now he thinks he has what it takes to serve?

I don't know about that.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I was thinking along similar lines. He was picked up by the GOP and is being funded by the same right now.

I agree with you here - but perhaps his story could serve to inspire others to follow suit.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

perhaps his story could serve to inspire others to follow suit

Perhaps. It would be ideal if more people got involved.

I would only hope that those people that decide to get involved do so with a firm grasp of the state constitutions/US constitution and are able to set aside their personal issues to lead within the confines of those constitutions.

Joe the Plumber is not one of those people.

top topics

join