It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ELEnin is no more.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hi all, just read this on the net, found the first article in dutch and with some googling got some US sites.

Elenin did as new comets passing close by the sun do about two percent of the time: It broke apart," said Don Yeomans of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Elenin's remnants will also act as other broken-up comets act. They will trail along in a debris cloud that will follow a well-understood path out of the inner solar system. After that, we won't see the scraps of comet Elenin around these parts for almost 12 millennia.

Full article here.
NASA

So guess the ELEnin hype is over now, we'll see what the next hype will be that is going to end life on earth

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ok for a NASA scientist to say a dust cloud or debris cloud will come back in 12 millennia certainly sounds stupid and a bit of a far stretch.. Does anyone else see the problem with that statement??

Here are some pics of the dust cloud.
Pics of ELENIN cloud

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Looks like a shotgun blast. Could be dangerous if you were in its way.
I think all the energy built up on the web killed it.
Thank God, we don't have to hear from Elenin ever again.
edit on 26-10-2011 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2011 by intrptr because: spelling...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01
So guess the ELEnin hype is over now, we'll see what the next hype will be that is going to end life on earth

So here is the deal. I am not saying this *is* the case but pause for a moment in your certainty. We're *all* making this generalization in our discourse that the only damage a comet or meteor can really do is hit us. This is a very primitive mindset.

We know about extremophiles. We know organic compounds are found on objects from space.

What's one way to kill a wasp nest? You spray it with an aerosol. Aerosol in some products is actually a microbe that activates when it hits say... water. Or air. You don't even need very many of them, as of course, they will self replicate.

What do some zombie stories use? An agent from space. Usually it takes a while for the symptoms to show up, long enough that people would have a hard time even connecting the two events.

Sometimes our sense of safety is really a lack of imagination. Art of War is actually all about superior imagination.

Namaste!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

So guess the ELEnin hype is over now,

Well repeating a NASA scientist's quote to the Elenin crowd is akin to quoting Santa Claus, they're not going to believe anything out of NASA. But luckily we also have amateur astronomers that have been reporting Elenin's disappearance/ breaking up, so it's finally starting to sink in with the Elenin crowd that all the hype was for naught. It never ceased to amaze me at how much energy was expended on something that was clearly never a threat even if it didn't break up. People spent so much time debunking everything NASA said (in forums and in countless YouTube videos), and yet it turns out that NASA was right all along. Wasted effort.

edit on 26-10-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OzTruth

No I don't see a problem, it was stated after months of orbital observations the the orbital period was around 12,000 years.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I don't think his problem was with the orbital period, but with the fact that they claim the dust cloud will return. However, as long as it doesn't get too close to one of the gas giants it should continue following the same path despite being a dust cloud. So, it does have the possibility to make a return in 12,000 years.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Can we quit screwing with the capitalization of the poor man's surname now? It never meant anything other than the dude's paternal family name. I know you might have been poking fun at them, but wordplay is part of the reason how this got so blown out of proportion.

Like some must have evidently thought that his father's father's father's father, etc, changed his last name to Elenin because he knew that one of their descendants was going to discover a comet that was "Extinction Level Event Nine" despite the fact that those concepts did not exist at the time.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Ok for a NASA scientist to say a dust cloud or debris cloud will come back in 12 millennia certainly sounds stupid and a bit of a far stretch.. Does anyone else see the problem with that statement??

The "future" orbital period of C/2010 X1 Elenin (after it has left the planetary region of the Solar System) has been calculated to be roughly 11900 years. Since the debris of the comet will follow the original orbital path, stating that it will return in "12 millennia or so" makes perfect sense.
edit on 26-10-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon

Can we quit screwing with the capitalization of the poor man's surname now? It never meant anything other than the dude's paternal family name. I know you might have been poking fun at them, but wordplay is part of the reason how this got so blown out of proportion.

Like some must have evidently thought that his father's father's father's father, etc, changed his last name to Elenin because he knew that one of their descendants was going to discover a comet that was "Extinction Level Event Nine" despite the fact that those concepts did not exist at the time.

ELE stands for Extinction Level Event, so it's normal in use to capitalize the first letters of that sencence. Look at UFO (Unidentified Flying Objects) and many others. If you don't like it, well really thats your problem not mine.

The whole point people feeded this doom's day scenario was because IF it impacted it would End All Life On Earth (EALOE), hence why ELE or Extinction Level Event keeps popping up.

You do know you're on a conspiracy site right?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

Perhaps you failed to read...I'm fully aware what the acronym ELE means and I even quoted the full twist on the poor man's name that fearmongerer's have been throwing around. That was actually the point in my post to request that people leave his name alone. His name has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than his family and therefore should not have anything extra capitalized as there is no acronym hidden in there. You seem to be aware of that, so I'm just saying that everyone should just drop it at this point. It was cute for the kids when they thought they had a shot with it before the comet just completely fizzled out.

I mean, heaven forbid he name his daughter Eleanor...Eleanor Elenin would surely spell destruction for us all.

This is a conspiracy site??? really?? Guess I should have left at least half my brain at the door.

Edit: And if the comet had impacted (which there was never really a chance of that anyway), I highly doubt that little guy would have ended a single species, let alone all life on Earth.
edit on 28-10-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Are you related to him? What's with the personal envolvement? Give it a rest will you, if i like to write ELEnin with capital ELE that's my call not yours. If you don't like it don't read it!

Why are idiots here always attacking the OP instead of the threads? You think you own the right to do so? I did NOT make up the ELE part, others did that for me. Since almost EVERY case ELEnin was mentioned, it was capitalized i just rinse and repeat.

Go have some sex or something to blow off all that steam that is build inside of you, don't bring it here and start personal attacks.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

The whole point people feeded this doom's day scenario was because IF it impacted it would End All Life On Earth (EALOE), hence why ELE or Extinction Level Event keeps popping up.

That's not true, and seeing how fragile of a body it was its likely an impact may not have even created a crater. If it blew apart from solar wind what do you think entering earth's atmosphere would have done to it?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

That's not true, and seeing how fragile of a body it was its likely an impact may not have even created a crater. If it blew apart from solar wind what do you think entering earth's atmosphere would have done to it?

=.= are you serious?

ELE stood for Extinction Level Event, use search dude, use search.

We all know NOW that is was nothing and it basicly was burned up by the sun, but did we KNOW this 7 months ago? No we didn't hence the ELE, it's fear mongering, so search.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

=.= are you serious?

ELE stood for Extinction Level Event, use search dude, use search.

We all know NOW that is was nothing and it basicly was burned up by the sun, but did we KNOW this 7 months ago? No we didn't hence the ELE, it's fear mongering, so search.

Perhaps you or some others whom lacked experience in such matters, did not know this. Perhaps you or some others that don't believe anything reported by NASA or the mainstream media, did not know this.

However, I (and many others), did know that Comet Elenin would not pose a threat to us. We did the research and checked the orbital calculations. We observed the comet and looked at all the evidence and scrutinized it to validate, invalidate or correct. Yet still, when we said, 'Elenin will pose no threat to Earth', we got called liars by those who perpetuated the myth that Comet Elenin was something more. The fact that you choose to continue to misuse Leonid's surename is nothing short of disrespectful to him as a person.

Yes, you are correct, ELE stands for Extinction Level Event. And yes, you are correct, it's fear mongering. However, as you know now that there is no longer anything to fear from Comet Elenin, can you at least be respectful to the person who made the discovery?

-saige-

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What do you require me to search? What the acronym ELE means? Seriously? Are you under the impression that that acronym was not known?

join