It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FINAL INSULT! Army claws back wages of dead hero

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

A SOLDIER killed in Afghanistan had £433 deducted from his final pay because he had failed to complete “a full month’s” work. Lance Corporal Jordan Bancroft, 25, was shot dead in Helmand province in August 2010. More than year later, as the Ministry of Defence finally settled his outstanding wages, £433.13 was deducted because he had died 10 days before pay day.

Yesterday his father Tony, 47, called the action “a disgrace”, adding: “It’s a massive slap in the face for us and especially Jordan, who laid down his life for his country. I had to read the letter a good few times to take it in. It seems £433.13 is all his life is worth to them.”

Taxi driver Mr Bancroft, from Earby, Lancs, and his family had raised £10,000 for his son’s regiment and £6,000 for the Help For Heroes charity.

He said: “It’s not the amount they’ve taken that upsets me because it’s not about the money, it’s the principle. We’ve raised a lot of money for his regiment and yet the MoD have no qualms about taking £400 from us. The regiment has been great; it’s the MoD who have done this.”

www.express.co.uk...

bfbs.com...

www.google.com...
edit on 26/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have to say that I find this disgusting... even if there was a mistake in payment, overpayment etc, this is no way to treat the family of a dead soldier.
I think they should have either just left it as it was or if they really desperately wanted the money back, take it out of the compensation or something.

To send a letter to the family of a dead soldier, who died in combat for his country, is, in my opinion, absolutely sickening.

Whether you agree with the war or not, whether you're bothered about soldiers or not... this is an insult that should not have been allowed to happen.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Soldiers are disposable tools, there is no honor is war. I wish the soldiers would figure this out in mass.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

I agree, there is no honour and I am against wars... however, this thread is not about that.
It is about whether or not is is right and acceptable to take wages back from a dead soldiers family because he was killed 10 days before the end of the month.... and did not "work" a full month,

I find this just awful.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This is so wrong on so many levels that I can't even find the words to express myself!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

How pathetic over a few $$$'s...

The family should argue that his body was not returned for sometime and therefore he was still under military control..

Play stupid with stupid just to P them off.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I understand, and I feel the horror at a system that says it cares so much screwing the very people killing for it, and then doing the opposite. There would be no wars without soldiers.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is actually common place. Soldiers are cannon fodder, and those who join are lied to, misinformed, and usually pressured by family/peers.

I really hope people wake up and stop joining these organizations in hope that "crap like this wont happen to me"...it will, and it does....

Blind Sheep Patriotism is dead... No US/UK military has done anything honorable in my lifetime. if you are dumb enough to join the military these days, after all the crimes against soldiers have been proven to exist, once their tour is done....then you deserve it.

I hate that this happened, but it is not an isolated event, and it is something you should expect. It is done too often....

At lease the "rebel soldiers" are fighting a cause...unlike the corporate government soldiers...
edit on 26-10-2011 by MentalGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i had a boss like that.now he has a hard time keeping employees.its called karma.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well think about it this way. If he were working a regular nine to five and he died halfway through the pay period, would you expect to get an entire pay period worth of money for him? No. Its really that simple. And even more than that this guy probably had some sort of life insurance. Why the outrage? He was working a job, knew the risks, and died before the completion of the pay period. End of story.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Well think about it this way. If he were working a regular nine to five and he died halfway through the pay period, would you expect to get an entire pay period worth of money for him? No. Its really that simple. And even more than that this guy probably had some sort of life insurance. Why the outrage? He was working a job, knew the risks, and died before the completion of the pay period. End of story.

I think the gist of the anger is that they DID actually pay him the month but then much later realized their mistake and took it back...

If they hadn't of already paid him that 10 days then I think no one would care as you state..
But to be so callous as to deduct it later does strike me as extremely unsympathetic on their part..

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
acmpnsfal is sadly correct.

Soldiers are doing a job, and they accepted the risks when they enlisted. One of those risks is that they may be required to die for their country. They have my utmost respect for being strong enough people to do so.

However, as acmpnsfal pointed out, if anyone else dies on the job, they would only be paid up to the day they died. Soldiers are no different.

Soldiers, I am lead to believe, their families do recieve death benefits, life assurance payouts, and funeral expenses in the event of their death while in active service, so its not as if they are just being told "so sorry, goodbye."

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Is the government is hurting so much for money that they gouge a death men heroe for a few euros?, what the heck

can you imagine what the government will do with the tax payer citizens when all the bailouts to the EU stop working?.

Lo and behold, they will strip all of you naked.
still here in the US they are doing already.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Reply to post by backinblack

How is that callous? Neither them, or the deceased, entitled to that money, it was an oversight, and it was corrected. The fact that someone died does not change that there was an error. Will the money take their pain away? No. Will the money bring them back? No.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by backinblack

How is that callous? Neither them, or the deceased, entitled to that money, it was an oversight, and it was corrected. The fact that someone died does not change that there was an error. Will the money take their pain away? No. Will the money bring them back? No.

Well I can only go on my own beliefs..
I have employed MANY people and it would never even cross my mind to recoup monies in that situation..

It's all down to opinion.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentalGiant
This is actually common place. Soldiers are cannon fodder, and those who join are lied to, misinformed, and usually pressured by family/peers.

I really hope people wake up and stop joining these organizations in hope that "crap like this wont happen to me"...it will, and it does....

Blind Sheep Patriotism is dead... No US/UK military has done anything honorable in my lifetime. if you are dumb enough to join the military these days, after all the crimes against soldiers have been proven to exist, once their tour is done....then you deserve it.

I hate that this happened, but it is not an isolated event, and it is something you should expect. It is done too often....
At lease the "rebel soldiers" are fighting a cause...unlike the corporate government soldiers...

I find your rant disgusting , these soldiers may be pawns in the bankers game but make no mistake in no way does a family pressure their child to join the military especially during wartime. My son has chose to join so I support him. For you to say these troops have no honor shows what a deviant spineless worm of a person you are. You take the freedom granted to you by the deaths of honorable people( soldiers and sailors) and disgrace them by your ignorance .

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Interesting also that the same governments in the EU have no problem help bailout their central banks as on going with Trillions while putting the debt on their own citizens like in the US, but they make a big deal and have not problem taking a few euros away because they claim and error.

I am sorry but I am the only one seen the irony here?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Noey777

I am sorry you did not do a better job parenting your child to grow up with other options. it says alot about you that you would be on this board, aware of the way the game is played, then allow your child to go off to war to risk his life for an unhonerable actions committing war crimes against strangers he does not know...

But hey, if he dies...he is a "hero".

Your willful ignorance and your ability to send your son off to support these wars disgust me. Your son will be off killing women, children, innocents.....but hey....your a Patriot! (not a willfully ignorant fool who did not prepare their child to be all they can be, but allowed him to get tricked into a lousy short term career almost guaranteeing a disability, and the government will turn his back on him as well as the thousands of soldiers they have done it to as well.

I will gladly wear your hat of disgust as you bury your child cause of a stupid belief system programmed into. My kids will go off to become business owners and leaders in the community, while your goes off to learn to kill ruthlessly and come home with no practical skills....but hey, at least youll get a folded flag, and some life insurance money, as you silently shame yourself.

And don't for one second try to state that your kid is protecting mine. He is not. he is actually causing the fury against America globally through his actions. What are your soldiers protecting me from again????OH yea, I forgot...they are not protecting me...they are killing innocent people, occupying nations, destroying economies, and bullying the rest of the world.

He will be supporting aggression and oppression against other countries so they will not rise up and strike back for getting screwed over by the USA for years.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is so horrible.....I cannot even begin to say how sad and pathetic this story is, my heart sincerely goes out to Corporal Bancrofts family. What is the world coming to when we do this kind of thing to the people and the families of the people who protect the UK's sovereignty as a nation? Or for that matter the way many soldiers and their family's are treated in the USA as well.

The USA/UK would not exist as a sovereign entites if it were not for these people, yeah they are cannon fodder, grunts, boots on the ground......blah, blah, blah.....but if we were to simply toss all of our weapons, get rid of all our military, and be a peaceful country, I am pretty sure when a hostile nation emerged in the world,( and history has proven that a nation always emerges that is hostile towards others) one that desired conquest, resources, wealth, labor/workforce whatever..... people would be wishing that we had a top notch, highly trained group of cannon fodder to fight for us.

I do not like the possibility of my grand kids speaking Russian or Chinese, and if it isn't those nations, it will be some other country. Desire to possess what some one else has is fundamentally human. People seem to think all these nations would leave each other alone and play nice? And what happens when there are disputes between nations? Dipolmacy can only go so far.....what happens when uzbekibeckistanstan ( sorry herman cain reference ) needs more fields for wheat to feed their people and they don't like the prices they are being charged by their neighbors? William Golding wrote "Lord of the Flies" and won a Nobel for exactly what I am talking about......humans will by their very nature do whatever it takes to survive and if people are losing their ability to survive, you better believe they will fight others to get what they need, and so will nations....micro/macrocosim.

Ultimately the only way we can do away with military is if we do away with nations as sovereign entities, and if we did away with nations... .I guess John Lennon could finally rest in peace, huh?

Sorry for the rant.....but I sometimes wonder if people do not think things through. I hate to hear people talk about doing away with the military and thinking if there were no military there would be peace.....it is not in human nature to be at peace, we are not evolved enough yet spiritually to even try to live in a truly free world. I wish we were, more than anything, I know where the anti military people are coming from, but realistically it is not feasible.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by MentalGiant

Time out. Not everyone who joins the service just does it because it seems like a neat idea to protect and serve. In my experience people around me have gone as a way to better themselves. Some of them wanted to get an education but didnt have the money so they went into the service to achieve that end. Others plan to pursue a career withing the service. You can advance and make a good living in the military. These people are not blind sheep, they are honest people trying to better themselves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join