It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that a 8.3 earthquake is possible in Greece for next week after Turkey earthquake 7.2?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well after weeks of many small tremors in Greece , Dodecanese Islands and west of Turkey we get 7.2 richer scale earthquake in East Turkey more then 600 miles away ,but the small tremors continue in the Greek region and we have more 400 aftershocks in Turkey ranging from 2+ to 6 magnitude on the Richter scale?So what is your opinion?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Now wouldn't that be convenient . . . the country is in economic shambles so if there was some sort of engineered disaster wouldn't all the world's organizations have to come running to rebuild that nation and somewhow in the craziness of it all, money destined for rebulding ended up resolving some of the debt issues and companies run by the 1% crowd also made a whack of dough in the rebuilding initiative.

Sounds far-fetched, yeah. But how far-fetched was it several decades ago to think that a country would go war-crazy around the globe to suit the needs of the military industrial complex.

Not sayin' it's a prediction, just throwin' it out there for discussion.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Turkey is the only in that region that have economic growth this year,and that growth has gone after 7.2 EQ!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'm no Earthquake professor by any means but I'd say it's possible.
7.2 isn't small, if Greece is feeling tremors already then what's happening undergound?
Since the big quakes in Christchurch have hit, other smaller quakes have happened, bigger ones off shore.
Time will tell.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Yes you are right the question is when was the last time Greece had a big one?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
There is a lot of talk about the "Alignment" on the 28th, and I do wonder if that increase in energy or gravitational pull or whatever it is could cause an earthquake. I watch a thread on here titled "Quakewatch 2011" and it is extremely informative. I have been looking recently at the increase in activity on the New Madrid fault, and wonder how this recent activity around Arkansas could possibly affect that fault. I've read predictions of an earthquake with an epicenter of Memphis Tn (near my area) and do have some concern about another larger earthquake possibly occuring. I have been "feeling" like a large earthquake in the U.S. is a serious possibility and since August became a member here due to internet searches that kept turning this website up. I originally was simply doing research on the USGS website, but wanted to look further into news reports or theories not easily accessible on MSM.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Yes is possible Megler could tell before it's happen ,earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

I've predicted a big one for Greece for some weeks now, hard to say after Turkey's EQK but Greece will get a big one at some stage.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

This is weird,because last night i was thinking the same thing.The last big earthquake was in Athens 1999(September 7) and it was 3 weeks after an earthquake in Turkey(August 17).

I don't know about the magnitude of the quake,but i expect that a big one will hit soon.

There are some things that happened to me in 1999 and since the beginning of this year are happening again(with a presicion that is scary).When the first incident happened back in February i was afraid that '99 will repeat itself.So far most of what i expected have happened.This year feels to me that someone is playing a prank on me.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Hi Diamondsmith,

I suppose the first thing that I'd like to note is that Greece has had quakes of this magnitude in the past. The last one of mag 8.3 or larger was on Aug 11, 1903 at 36.36 N, 22.97 E. (Reference: USGS: Magnitude 8 and greater quakes since 1900

I expect you'd be well aware of this fact but as some members might not -- and some might even read your OP and suspect you're just using big numbers that are unrealistic -- it's worthwhile making it clear that what you are talking about is not outside the range of what's possible.

However, as that was the last quake in Greek territory over mag 8.0 and they are pretty rare anyway, the statistical odds of one happening in the next week or so in that region are pretty small. Doesn't mean it can't but from that standpoint it's highly unlikely.

On the other hand, our planet doesn't give two hoots about statistics, and a large quake in Turkey could influence unstable faults in Greece. Put it this way, that mag 7.2 in Turkey is not likely to have helped things any.

What I'm most curious about is why you specifically state mag 8.3, and not simply (say) mag 8-plus. After all, a mag 8.3 causes about double the shaking of an 8.0 and releases nearly three times the energy. (ie, it would take three mag 8.0 quakes to release the energy of one mag 8.3.) So, why 8.3?

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 26/10/11 by JustMike because: typo.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I understand what a seismograph does, but I do not understand what this particular reading means exactly. It actually looks like crazy activity to me
Just out of curiosity, what does that area have to do with the New Madrid, or does it? Not sure if you were saying that it could possibly mean an earthquake here, or just one in general in the U.S. Thanks for your response to my post however.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

You never know how small EQ's in one area could trigger a big one thousand miles away!

Potential for Future Earthquakes
www.geology.siu.edu...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
OMG I was actually just thinking about this. I mean not the magnitude, but the possibility the EQ that happened in Turkey could cause an EQ in Greece. I am currently in Greece and when I heard of the EQ in Turkey I thought back 12 years ago. In 17 August 1999 Turkey had an EQ magnitude 7.4. In September 7 1999 Greece had an extremely shallow and inland EQ magnitude 5.9, whick killed more than 200 people. So I am a little worried, cause this could be a pattern forming, and I really think we should keep an eye on the situation, just in case. We might actually learn something.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Sorry, I just saw that your post had the exact same information mine did. Star for thinking alike

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Some excellent info there. Kudos for providing that.
(Not sure how it relates to Greece, though.)

Because of the ATS T&Cs on quoting from external sources, could you please place the text in the correct quotes, namely [ex]quoted text here[/ex] and also provide direct links to the pages where that material may be found. (This is also required by the T&Cs. It's because of copyright laws and the ATS owners are quite strict on this. It applies to any external text, even from Govt sources and "public domain" material.)

Just wish to repeat my earlier question: why are you specifically looking at mag 8.3 and not simply mag 8-plus? I'm very interested. Please don't take this as a criticism as it's not. I realy want to know.

Many thanks,

Mike
edit on 26/10/11 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Still say very possible,

skeptics.stackexchange.com...

There are in average about 2-3 earth quakes over a magnitude of 5 per day. If earthquakes can cause another earth quake eleven thousand miles away (as in the case of Japan and Chile) that means that any quake can be "caused" by any other quake.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This thread's title refers to a possible mag 8.3 earthquake in Greece. I don't understand why you are replying to me with info about the New Madrid Seismic Zone. I am well aware of what's possible there, but the point is, they are completely different parts of the world and also have different seismic interactions within the respective regions.

I'm asking you about Greece and why you suggest a possible 8.3 quake there. I know such an event is possible and quoted a reference in my own post to show that they've happened before. Telling me about events in the New Madrid region has nothing to do with it.

And again, please quote your text sources correctly and provide links to them.
Mike

edit on 26/10/11 by JustMike because: Note to quote correctly and provide links.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Sorry I will do so.As about 8.3,well I made some calculation that I will post one time but not before.......Anyway they get only 8+,when it's big to be,so just have some patience,please!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join