It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I Always See the Following Issues Conflated Even on this Board?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Why do I Always See the Following Four Issues Conflated?

a. Microbial extraterrestial life - Most scientists agree that there is microbial extraterrestrial life elsewhere in the universe. They have even found some evidence of this, so this is now mainstream science taught in college.

b. Intelligent extraterestrial life - Most scientists agree that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, based on mathematic probabilities.

c. Intelligent Extraterrestrials visiting Earth - Little to zero scientific support in the mainstream

d. The UFO Phenomenon - How did the UFO phenomenon become conflated with intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth, when UFO simply means Unidentified Flying Object?
edit on 25-10-2011 by NotReallyASecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotReallyASecret
d. The UFO Phenomenon - How did the UFO phenomenon become conflated with extraterrestrials visiting Earth, when UFO simply means Unidentified Flying Object?

I'll try to tackle d.

Hollywood movies and Project Bluebook. Those two as well as Roswell pretty much ingrained it in our psych
edit on 25-10-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NotReallyASecret

See this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Watch this movie.

Also, do some research on the Betty and Barney Hill abduction.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to speak it on ATS. Discussing those topics happens to be fun whether you're a debunker or a theorist.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Holy vocabulary...

What else would you expect from a site that promotes individual conclusions..?

And BTW - feel free to add to your own conversation...just asking questions seems rather 1 sided.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to speak it on ATS. Discussing those topics happens to be fun whether you're a debunker or a theorist.

What does that have to do with what I'm saying LOL

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

On an internet forum opinions of respected users often become "truths" that are always unique to each board and not always the right information.

Conflation occurs when the identities of two or more individuals, concepts, or places, sharing some characteristics of one another, become confused until there seems to be only a single identity

conflation
edit on 25-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

There is no problem with conclusions.

But don't conflate the issues.

Do you know what conflate means?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If you want to conclude the UFO phenomenon is explained primarily by intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth, thats cool with me.

Just be precise with your language.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

It means to mix together apparently.

People tend to conflate seemingly related issues all the time, not just in this field.

It is a common human disposition to try to connect dots to make sense of things, especially mysterious unidentified things.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Yes - as seen here:

Holy vocabulary...

With 'Group Think' you would not find 'those' issues conflated...a linear conclusion would be agreed upon, where as 'individual' conclusions contribute to the very question you posted.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

a. Microbial extraterrestial life - Most scientists agree that there is microbial extraterrestrial life elsewhere in the universe. They have even found some evidence of this, so this is now mainstream science taught in college.

b. Intelligent extraterestrial life - Most scientists agree that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, based on mathematic probabilities.

c. Intelligent Extraterrestrials visiting Earth - Little to zero scientific support in the mainstream

d. The UFO Phenomenon - How did the UFO phenomenon become conflated with intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth, when UFO simply means Unidentified Flying Object?

This looks like a troll thread to me.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The main answer in my opinion is science fiction. One of the main reasons I don't believe in ET visitation is because of how the phenomenon blew up and expanded in direct response to the advent of ET science fiction. I think you asked a great question, and hopefully it will cause some members to reconsider their stance on the issue.

The whole flying saucer phenomenon, the term coming from a misquote I believe, started abruptly and took off because so many people were into science fiction. Another big reason is that an ordinary person has no clue what goes on in the sky, from military and civilian aircraft, to atmospheric phenomena that science still doesn't understand, so what do they do? They conclude, prematurely, that it must be ET's.

And once you have intelligent people preaching the whole UFO thing, others will latch on immediately, and that's how it spreads. I firmly believe, and will continue until new evidence is presented, that this is exactly how the whole UFO/ET thing came into being.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Admit it OP: You learned a new word and wanted to use it. Some things are prone to become naturally concatenated.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well i also always masturbate words into sentences where i really don't know what they mean

But on a serious note, i also tend to go with the theories that the UFO phenomenon is something else, the EXTRATERRESTRIAL theory is just one of them

In the stone-age they were "Gods", in the middle-ages it was demons....now it's Aliens...note how the "demons" change shape and appearance depending on time.

But it's the same phenomenon, IMO.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

It all depends on your definition of UFO. When you look at any collection of UFO reports - such as that amassed by the U.S. Air Force between 1947 and 1969, or by contemporary civilian investigatory groups such as NICAP and APRO - you find that a small percentage of sightings cannot be explained as easily as the other 80 to 95 percent. In fact, they cannot be explained convincingly at all as anything natural or man-made. If this small subset of reports is what we mean when we use the term UFO, then the extraterrestrial hypothesis is not an illogical one. One of the primary characteristics of the objects described in these reports is apparent intelligent control. The objects also appear to do things that no man-made object, that we know about, can do. So, if they are intelligently controlled, but not by us, then ET would seem to be one of the top suspects. I really haven't come across any arguments as to why that isn't possible - even probable for all we know. There are several flaws in the alternate most-likely hypothesis - that of secret military craft - making the ETH a real contender for the title of Most Plausible Explanation.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

A. Evidence is shoddy at best.

B. I can prove there are millions of intelligent species here on Earth with the same math. The Drake equation is the most common basis I hear for this, and is filled with unknown variables.

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;
R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

How many of those do we have any scientific evidence for the variable? I would say 2 out of the 7 variables. I recently read about a new equation that says intelligent life is unlikely.
www.universetoday.com...

C. Agreed.

D. Agreed. Most people on this forum link UFO to ET, that is the problem.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Because UFO sightings exhibit flight characteristics of something not of this Earth.

We also wouldn't be able to identify anything alien anyway...

new topics

top topics

join