It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civics question time, What is the 4th Branch of Government?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
The answer will amaze you!
edit on 25-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

Unless you refer to "The Fourth Estate," as identified earlier, then I see no logical place to go. So let the amazement begin....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

In the American political system, the fourth branch of government refers to a group that influences the three branches of governance defined in the American Constitution (legislative, judicial, and executive). Such groups can include the press (an analogy to the French Fourth Estate), the people, and interest groups. U.S. independent administrative government agencies, while technically part of the executive branch (or, in a few cases, the legislative branch) of government, are sometimes referred to as being part of the fourth branch.

The answer always come down to the people really.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The question is wrong to begin with since there is no 4th branch of government in the US. If you are talking about another government, then you should clarify. I am assuming the OP's answer will be the media.

edit on 25-10-2011 by Rhino5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The fourth branch of government, also referred to as the fourth estate, is the press, reporters, journalists, MSM (main stream media), et al, who, back in the day, would keep an eagle eye on government shenanigans and report the truth as they saw it, (not the gov spin dr version), back to the populace.

Sadly today in most cases the MSM answer only to their corporate sponsorship as many of their BOD (board of directors) are interlocked (sit on other corporate boards) with other powerful global corporations, all of which are gatekeepers to the flow of (dis)information reaching the mainstream populace. You'll never hear bad news about GE on NBC news 'cause GE owns NBC; you'll always see ads for Disney movies on ABC 'cause - you got it - Disney owns ABC; Viacom owns CBS; and Fox - well don't get me started.

google or wikipedia any of the above for more info; it's worse than fallin' down a bunny hole.......scary actually

Did I pass the test?!!

ex-journalism major - (ex- as in knew I was trouble when TPTB killed off Gary Webb of the San Jose Mercury News)

But that's why I luv ATS and other internet sites- it's like a huge research library at your finger tips in which you can cross reference data and follow the money trail (somewhat) to your heart's content. Best of all, I can draw my own conclusions and be my own gatekeeper and not be spoon fed the dumbed down pablum that passes for news on the MSM.

Namaste

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Though in school it is taught to us there are only 3 branches, I presume the OP's 4th branch is more or less symbolic.

Since the branches reflect the balance of powers; the people who answered with media, beaurocracies, corporations, the Fed, and others are still in a sense correct.

I believe the answer the OP is looking for though is:

We the People in our capacity on a Grand Jury.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

The controlled media which pushes propaganda and manipulates public opinion.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Though in school it is taught to us there are only 3 branches, I presume the OP's 4th branch is more or less symbolic.

Since the branches reflect the balance of powers; the people who answered with media, beaurocracies, corporations, the Fed, and others are still in a sense correct.

I believe the answer the OP is looking for though is:

We the People in our capacity on a Grand Jury.

I second that!!!!! The grand jury baby because that is a direct balance to the judicial branch! Those 12 or 6 people are chosen and weild an exorbent amount of power. One thing I find interesting is that the jury has the power to oust a judge during a trial. I think this is the best example of 4th gov't branch

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
When it comes to this administration, the 4th branch is Michelle Obama.
She seems to be pretty influential when it comes to how, what and when the executive branch is even allowed to do anything whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
all of the above.

In the American political system, the fourth branch of government refers to a group that influences the three branches of governance defined in the American Constitution (legislative, judicial, and executive). Such groups can include the press (an analogy to the French Fourth Estate), the people, and interest groups. U.S. independent administrative government agencies, while technically part of the executive branch (or, in a few cases, the legislative branch) of government, are sometimes referred to as being part of the fourth branch.

In some cases the term is pejorative because such a fourth branch has no official status. The term is also widely used as a picturesque phrase without derogatory intent. Where the use is intended to be pejorative, it can be a rhetorical shorthand to illustrate the user's belief in the illegitimacy of certain types of governmental authority with a concomitant skepticism towards the origin of such authority.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

This thread's purpose is to ask one question,

What is the 4th Branch of Government?

Let's see how many people actually get this as a clearcut majority won't!

Constitution wise; there is no clear cut "fourth branch".

Inferring and speculating we can come up with all sorts of answers: The People, the media, Corporations, lobbyist, etc.

So tell us Immaculate...thou who continually seeks no answers but only strife....who is the Fourth Branch?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

The Fed, the Media, the People, the Lobbyists...most folks are divided and so there is no ONE correct answer to this question. It is a matter of perspective.

Defaulting to the fourth branch of government

Every school child knows that the U.S. government has three branches: the Executive, the Legislative, and the Judicial. And, as recent international test results have demonstrated, every school child is wrong. Because there is a fourth branch of government that operates alongside the other three and plays a central and increasingly active role in the system of checks and balances the founders designed to keep any one group from getting too much power. This fourth branch however, has been gaining power in ways that the forefathers never imagined... rothkopf.foreignpolicy.com...

The Federal Reserve: America’s Fourth Branch of Government

The Federal Reserve is America’s Fourth Branch of government and Ben Bernanke is, in effect, the economic czar of the country. The Fourth Branch? The Fed and the Fed alone has the power to determine how much money should be in the economy. Such vast power over our lives makes the Fed a de facto fourth branch of government. Yet, its powers are not defined by the Constitution, and neither the chairman nor senior officials are elected by the people. The seven Fed governors are appointed by the President, and confirmed by the Senate, for 14 year terms.dailycapitalist.com...

The Fourth Branch of Government is the People

Some would argue that the People are not a branch of the Government. They would argue that we have a government that is of the People, by the People, and for the People. They would argue that through voting that the Government represents the People and that the Government is the People. In theory, and in an ideal world, this would be true. And for the most part it is true.

But there are time when the Government does not represent the People and that the interests of the Government are not the interests of the People.

There are times when the People have to assert their will directly and overrule the Government and assert the supremacy of the will of the People over the will of the Government. www.perkel.com...

Fourth branch of government

In the American political system, the fourth branch of government refers to a group that influences the three branches of governance defined in the American Constitution (legislative, judicial, and executive). Such groups can include the press (an analogy to the French Fourth Estate), the people, and interest groups. U.S. independent administrative government agencies, while technically part of the executive branch (or, in a few cases, the legislative branch) of government, are sometimes referred to as being part of the fourth branch.en.wikipedia.org...

The Fourth Branch of Government An Analysis of the Initiative and Referendum Process

Give all power to the many, they will oppress the few. Give all power to the few, they will oppress the many. Both therefore ought to have power. - Alexander Hamilton 1787

America’s representative system of democracy is politically stable and the heart of one of the world’s most powerful nation states. It has persisted throughout two hundred and fifty years...at the same time however, the structure of America’s political system is resistant to change and suffers under a democratic deficiency.

Democracy by definition means government by popular rule, implying that the populace is the primary source of power.

In the United States, however, it is not the populace, which makes up the primary source of power, but rather a political and economic elite, which generally excludes the lower socioeconomic classes from the political decision-making process and predominantly represents the interests of the middle and upper classes of society.

Consequentially, traditional elites appear to effectively control the country’s political decision-making process....

...only with these mechanisms in place will Initiatives and Referenda be able to constitute a strong, fourth branch of government that gives the majority’s will a direct voice in the political decision-making process. www.iandrinstitute.org...&R%20Research%20and%20History/I&R%20Studies/Shevitz%20-%20I&R%20and%20the%20Internet%20IRI.p df

Can't get the link to this paper to work. Citing authors Bea Altman Schevitz and Jeffrey M. Schevitz and titled as above, should be able to google and find it.

The 'Fourth Branch' of Government

Shadowy lobbyists ignore rules and exploit connections -- and their industry of influence nets almost $13 billion. Special interests and the lobbyists they employ have reported spending, since 1998, a total of almost $13 billion to influence Congress, the White House and more than 200 federal agencies.

Because of their ability to influence lawmakers and legislation, lobbyists have been dubbed "the Fourth Branch" of government. But while they wield enormous influence in the capital, lobbyists receive little attention from the press and far less public scrutiny. www.alternet.org...

Here are a few answers and yes, I cheated and looked it up.

edit on 26-10-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
I never learned about a 4th branch of govt in school, so I doubt it exist.

OP is making stuff up

edit on 25-10-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

We know there is no literal 4th branch...

But the OP made nothing up. the 4th branch is a term used to describe any entity or group that controls the three other branches...

PEOPLE.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The answer will amaze you!
edit on 25-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

...Probabaly not.

It is either people, media, corporation and lobbyists or you are going to throw a curve ball and say something that is way out there.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
She seems to be pretty influential when it comes to how, what and when the executive branch is even allowed to do anything whatsoever.

Maybe try to peddle that one somewhere else...the woman can't get a word in edgewise. Rumor has it quite the opposite. This White House is a male bastion. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Does Sexism Pervade the White House?

According to the Washington Post, Dunn says in the book: "This place would be in court for a hostile workplace because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women." abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Yeah, she is really influential with that garden she has.... and.... umm..... the occasional shopping trip...

Hmm.... that's about it.

edit on 26-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Time's UP!

Let's see who got it right :
Neo (shocked) Gimmie, Evolution, Trexter (half)

The People as it is us who is the end all, be all backbone of this nation as without the people we'd still be an English colony,

Out of 22 total posters to this thread only 4 got it right! That is less then 20% which is beyond pitiful! All roads in this regard lead back to the people!
edit on 27-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

well I am a day late and a dollar short as usual, yes it is the people, "we the people, for the people, by the people, of the United States of America" here is a site that spells it out www.perkel.com... from the link

The Fourth Branch of Government
is the People

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Time's UP!

Let's see who got it right :
Neo (shocked) Gimmie, Evolution, Trexter (half)

The People as it is us who is the end all, be all backbone of this nation as without the people we'd still be an English colony,

Out of 22 total posters to this thread only 4 got it right! That is less then 20% which is beyond pitiful! All roads in this regard lead back to the people!
edit on 27-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given

Bravo to those who have listed. Truly Immaculate, I am impressed. But it makes me wonder; are you the bearer of the Fourth Branch?

Such a subject is...well; subjective. There are many who would say that the Free Press is the Forth Branch. The Press that was to maintain honesty and integrity of Government; given inclusive protection via the First Amendment.

What say you? extra DIV

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join