It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan calendar is NOT wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I just want people to understand this point since I've been reading a few threads about "their calendar is wrong and the real end of the calendar is on X day and X month. The Mayans didn't start their calendar "on the wrong day". What people fail to realize is that the Mayans didn't have a Gregorian calendar like we use. They made their calendar using astrology. They used the stars. Now if it doesn't end on Dec 21st 2012 it's not because THEY messed up. It's because the calendar we use today is wrong.

In my opinion our current calendar is flawed. That's why we have a leap year to correct it. The reason for this, I believe but am not 100% correct, is because a day is not 24 hours long. It's actually 23 hours and 56 minutes if I remember correctly.

What's astonishing is that their calendar is only off(by modern calculations) by a few seconds. Another thing that's interesting to think about is if the universe is expanding and the calendar was made using the stars... wouldn't their long count calendar after 5000+ years be off more than that?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
good thought and idea. yeah it could be a lil.. but im not sure...what do you think?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

The Milky Way itself is not expanding, per se. Especially not over the course of a measly 5000 years. That's a blink of an eye on the cosmological timetable.

edit on 25/10/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

I agree as well, I don't think their calendar is wrong at all, I think they naysayers are just arrogant.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

The Long Count (which is where the December 21, 2012 is derived from) is not astronomically based. It is, as the name implies, simply a count of days, or k'in, from a specific starting point. Using the GMT correlation this starting date is August 11, 3114 BC. Other than this starting date nothing influences the Long Count date. They did have two cyclical calendars, the Tzolkin and the Haab. The Haab is much like the modern calendar, however it was only 365 days long, so it did not account for the fact that it does not take the Earth an even 365 days to revolve around the Sun. The Tzolkin is a 260-day calendar and does not appear to correspond to specific astronomical events. Instead it appears to have dictated the occurrence of social events and rituals.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

What does it matter if the Mayan calendar is right or wrong. There is no way that these people, whose height of technology was building things out of stone, are going to know anything about the world ending or shifting phase or whatever other crap people want to attribute to them.

When you think of it, its kind of hilarious. Some dude who eventually got tired of making a calendar, because you can't make one to infinity, have all these people thinking the world is going to end. This logic is the equivalent of looking at the calendar on your computer and thinking the world began on 1/1/1980. LOL!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For sure there are many changes occurring right now folks. What is the purpose of argumentation about something that did not happen yet? I think it leads into more questions, which means deeper speculation and in the real end does not bring any answer is not it?

I seriously think the famous "lets wait and see" does well apply here and for the best of everybody. In the end, the real truth and only one that does exist is the one inside your heart which makes you feel that what is happening is right, because it was supposed to and what you have learned from it. Experience is the word ATSers.

Just saying,

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tHEpROGRESSIVE

Mayans say 3114 b.c , the Egyptians say 3123 b.c was the beginning of time. Maybe they just worked out how to use numbers or something, and couldn't write them down. Maybe they went through a cosmic catastrophe aswell and it was the only way they could warn people in the future. Who knows, it is interesting though.

Just to add the Egyptians did run off a 360 day calender until something happened and it had to be changed too a 365 day calender with which the extra 5 days were called the days of the dead. So going off that, I gather something catastrophic did happen in their time.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

It is astronomy based. They didn't just choose a day at random to start their long count. They started it on a specific alignment.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tHEpROGRESSIVE

Thank Uuuuuu AGGGGHHHH!!! Finally somebody gets it.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
1st I would like to say that calender doesn't even matter. False prophesy duuuh lol.
2nd Jesus already said NOBODY KNOWS THE DAY.
3RD God said don't believe in astrology.

Question: Are you scared of 2012?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

The mayan calender is not wrong... Only our small minded interpretations of what it is supposed to mean.

The calander made perfect sence to the mayans...

But they are all dead.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

There is no evidence for that. The August 11, 3314 BC is their date of Creation. All the evidence we have suggests that this is the only reasoning behind the date. The only calendar major calendar they had that could be tied to astronomical observations is the Haab. However, as I pointed out earlier the Haab is only 365 days long. It does not account for the extra .242 days in a year meaning that the Gregorian calendar is more accurate.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by taurean86

No, not scared at all.
2.) I don't believe your religion. If you want I can explain why.

new topics

top topics

join