It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calleman, October 28 & What It Means For Your Weekend

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Introduction

With October 28th just a few days away I figured now would be a good time to look extensively at the claims of Carl Johan Calleman. For many of you some of this information may seem familiar as I and others have stated it on multiple occasions. However, I have decided to bring all of this information together in one cohesive thread. I am also hoping to go more in depth with some of the information I have presented in the past.

Who Is Carl Calleman?

From the number of books he has written and the number of lectures he has given on the Maya one might assume that Calleman is an archaeologist or anthropologist, but this is far from the truth. Calleman was born on May 15, 1950. Over his years of education Calleman began taking an interest in biology, more specifically toxicology. This lead him to attend the University of Stockholm's PhD program in toxicology, which he ended up graduating from.

It was during his time as a graduate student that Calleman first took an interest in the Mayan calendar. During a trip to Guatemala in 1979 was introduced to the Mayan Long Count and began studying it, specifically Michael Coe's interpretation of it. Despite his interest in the calendar it would be a while before Calleman would put his ideas down on paper.

In 1986 was employed by the Department of Environmental Health in Seattle. Due to his work in this post Calleman was then picked up by the World Health Organization as a cancer expert. Then in 1993 Calleman returned to Sweden and gave up his life as a toxicologist to focus entirely on the Mayan calendar. In 1994 he published his first book on the topic, Mayahypotesen which was only made available in Sweden. The rest of the world would have to wait until 2001 to get their first glimpse at Calleman's ideas with The Mayan Calendar (Calleman, 2006)

Summary of Ideas

So now that we know who Calleman is we can begin to look at the ideas that he has presented and what sets him apart from other “researchers.” One of the most apparent claims that distinguishes Calleman from other Mayanists is his belief that the Long Count does not end on December 21, 2012 (more on this later). Calleman has also separated himself from many mainstream 2012 researchers by claiming that the Mayan calendar does not predict death and destruction, but an evolution to a higher state of consciousness.

This is Calleman's theory at its very most basic, but it's actually a lot more complicated than it may seem at first glance. Based off of the collection of Creation stories called the Popol Vuh Calleman deduced that the Maya broke time down into nine periods he refers to as Nine Underworlds. Each Underworld is also broken down into 13 Heavens which are separated as seven days and six nights. Calleman claims that each Underworld represents an important phase of Human, and to a lesser extent Universal, evolution. Calleman then employs the human consciousness version of Moore's Law stating that each Underworld is 20x shorter than the one that preceded it. We are currently on the 7th Day of the 9th Underworld. (Calleman, 2004 & Calleman, 2009)

Calleman's Calendar

In order to understand Calleman's calendar one must first understand the traditional Long Count. A typical Long Count is composed of baktuns, katuns, tuns, winals, and k'ins. Depending on the monument this date will then be followed by a tzolkin date and a haab date. Under this setup the date for the Mayan “end date” is 13.0.0.0.0 4 Ajaw 3 K'ank'in.

Calleman's calendar on the other hand incorporates nine different levels as opposed to five due to the nine Underworlds. His date for the end date is also different from the date one normally sees. Calleman claims that due to the importance of this date it would correlate with an auspicious date, specifically 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13 13 Ajaw. While this date looks different from the traditional date Calleman states that it could correlate to December 21, 2012 if not for the fact that December 21st does not have a tzolkin date of 13 Ajaw. However, October 28, 2011 does have a tzolkin date of 13 Ajaw.

Calleman's calendar has also gained some support from the calendar on Coba Stela 1. What sets Coba Stela 1 apart from most other Long Counts is the fact that it places the date of Creation before 3114 BC. In fact Calleman states that it matches his calendar perfectly with both using hablatuns as the longest unit of measurement. Using the date on Coba Stela 1 (16.4 billion years ago) and October 28, 2011 Calleman was able to fill in the blanks in his calendar. After he had completed this Calleman realized that the dates when a new Underworld began correlated with crucial events in the history of the Universe, Earth, and Humans.

Problems With The Calendar

At this point it might sound like Calleman may actually be on to something with his claims. Everything seems to fit in neatly and perfectly with his theory. Of course that's not hard to do when facts are cherry-picked or simply created out of thin air. To start we will look at Calleman's construction of his calendar before moving on to look at specific monuments that disprove his claims.

First is his claim that the Long Count is separated into nine different sections. What one usually sees when they look at a Long Count day is five numbers separated by periods. These five numbers stand for baktuns, katuns, tuns, winals, and k'ins . So the way one usually sees December 21, 2012 written is 13.0.0.0.0. For some reason Calleman decides to forgo this version of the Long Count in preference for one that has no archaeological basis.

Of course Calleman does present a reason for using this nine tiered calendar. It all goes back to his claim that time is broken down into nine Underworlds that get exponentially shorter. As I also mentioned earlier this belief originates in the Popol Vuh which depicts Maya cosmology as a multi-tiered structure with the Underworld consisting of nine levels and Heaven consisting of 13 levels. There's one major problem with this though; it's not true. We can trace this claim back to the Mayan scholar Eric Thompson. In 1970 Thompson published the book Maya History and Religion in which he describes Mayan cosmology as hierarchical with 13 levels in the sky and nine below the Earth (Thompson, 1990). This claim was recently refuted by Nielsen and Reunert. In their paper not only did they find no references to a multi-tiered cosmology in any pre-Columbian writings, but even the Popol Vuh seems to depict everything on one level. Instead the belief in a multi-tiered universe seems to be an Aztec one, specifically the Nahuas Aztecs (Nielsen & Reunert, 2009).

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This isn't even the worst of problems associated with Calleman's calendar. While it was widely believed that Mayan cosmology was hierarchical when he first devised his theory it does not excuse his complete butchering of the Long Count. First there is the very structure he uses to describe is calendar. Due to the exponential aspect of the levels Calleman describes his calendar as a pyramid and in fact uses certain Mayan pyramids as evidence for his theory. However, if that was true the smallest unit of measurement would be at the top and the longest would be at the bottom. This goes against every example of a Long Count date in Mayan iconography. The longest unit (usually baktuns) appeared at the top and k'ins appeared at the bottom. It also ignores the fact that Long Count dates are written in two rows, not one (Normark, 2010).

Now we can move on to Calleman's wide scale editing of everything known about the Long Count. First, there is the fact that Calleman completely removes winals from the calendar. In the normal Long Count 20 k'in make up one winal, and 18 winals make up one tun. However, Calleman's calendar hinges on the number 20 and the tun. As a result the winal is replaced with the oxlahunkin which is composed of 18 days. He does this despite the fact that winals are quite common throughout the Classic period and the fact that he would now have to account for the 2 k'in that used to exist which are also present in monuments.

Then there's also the fact that it is impossible for the Long Count to end on 13 Ajaw if there are 13 k'in. Throughout all Mayan epigraphy Ajaw is always associated with Long Count dates ending in 0. Calleman's response to this is to get rid of the k'in position completely. That's right, Calleman completely disposes of the position that is the basis for the entire Long Count (not the tun as Calleman would have you believe) because it doesn't fit with his theory. Of course this screws up his theory even more when one considers the fact that he uses Coba Stela 1 as proof. In order for Coba Stela 1 to equate to 16.4 billion years ago he needs the k'in position, which brings his cosmology up to ten Underworlds and without k'ins Coba Stela 1 only equates to 820 million years ago. Calleman has yet to provide an explanation for this fact (Normark, 2010).

So, at this point has calendar has some pretty glaring flaws, but he still has those correlations to important events. Doesn't he? Not in the slightest. Each level of his cosmology has massive problems regarding the events they're supposed to be associated with. For example, we can once again go back to the Creation date from Coba Stela 1. Calleman says that it states the beginning of the Universe at 16.4 billion years ago and then claims this is verified by science. That right there is completely false. All current estimates in regards to the beginning of the universe place it at 13.7 billion years ago (Suyu et al., 2010). Calleman's date is almost off by three billion years. Another example is his claims regarding writing. According to his calendar writing first emerged around 3115 BC. Ignoring proto-writing, the Dispilio Tablet places writing's emergence to at least the 6th millennium BC (Hourmouziadis, 2002). These are just two examples, but one can find such flaws in each Underworld.

Coba Stela 1

At this point it looks like Calleman is in pretty bad shape. We now turn our attention to Coba Stela 1, the one calendar that seems to support Calleman's claims.

As I have already pointed out, by removing the k'in position of the Long Count the date on this stela no longer correlates with Calleman's proposed beginning of the Universe. On top of that this calendar also places the beginning of the Universe much farther back than 16.4 billion years. The actual date on Coba Stela 1 has nineteen positions ahead of the traditional baktun position, not to mention that it incorporates the winal and k'in. This places the date of Creation several trillion years ago, much different from Calleman's or science's estimate (Schele & Freidel, 1990).

In order to account for this Calleman once again employs some magicking away of the facts. In his books Calleman explains away to extra levels by saying that since we don't know the names for these levels that they aren't important and can be disregarded. Of course using this explanation he neglects to mention that both winals and k'ins are necessary to get the 16.4 billion year date and he has done away with both these levels as well (Calleman, 2004 & Calleman, 2009).

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Tortuguero Monument 6

There is one final monument that deals with the “end” of the Long Count that Calleman employs. This is Tortuguero Monument 6. In 1996 Houston and Stuart provided the following translation of Monument 6:

The Thirteenth “Bak’tun” will be finished, (on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K’ank’in), ? will occur, (It will be) the descent(??) of the Nine Support? God(s) to the ?.

Once again, even though this date doesn't correspond to Calleman's he has no problem using parts of it to support his theory. Specifically he has argued that the references to the descent of nine gods is proof of the nine Underworlds and that final one will descend on October 28, 2011 (Calleman, 2004). While certain gods are associated with the Underworld there is no indication that the god(s) mentioned in this inscription (Bolon Yookte) was one such god.

Calleman's claims regarding Tortuguero Monument 6 have recently run into even more troubles however. In 2008 Houston posted on his blog regarding Tortuguero Monument 6. He stated that further research has lead him to believe that the monument does not only not refer to a god, but it doesn't even refer to the “end” of the Long Count. His post received support in 2010 when Gronemeyer and Macleod published an article in which they managed to decipher the unknown words. They reached the conclusion that this monument described a ceremony where someone would dress up as Bolon Yookte. David Stuart has gone on to support these claims regarding the monument as well.

Conclusion

The evidence clearly shows that Calleman's proposed date and theory are simply wrong. Instead of well thought out premises, Calleman's conclusion relies on ridiculous jumps in logic and illogical changing of facts. A few of you may be wondering why I am wrote this now if I can be proven correct in just a few days. The answer to that is that Calleman has posted on his blog that October 28, 2011 may not be the end. Instead it is the beginning of the end, but he can't say how long it will actually last. Instead he simply says that it will last until everyone's consciousness has shifted. To me this sounds like he is preparing for nothing to happen, but he still wants to sell books. That is the reason I am posting this now. So when October 28th passes that truly will be the end of this nonsense. I don't want to have to deal with Calleman's nonsense claims for years to come. If you have any problems with what I've said here feel free to present your arguments. However, I would kindly request that you make sure that you've read all of these posts so you don't bring up points that I've already addressed.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Works Cited

Calleman, C.J. (2004). The Mayan calendar and the transformation of consciousness, Rochester, VT: Bear & Company.

Calleman, C.J. (2006). “Biography.” Calleman.com.

Calleman, C.J. (2009). Purposeful universe: How quantum theory and Mayan cosmology explain the origin and evolution of life, Rochester, VT: Bear & Company.

Gronemeyer, S. & Macleod, B. (2010). “What could happen in 2012: A re-analysis of the 13-bak'tun prophecy on Tortuguero Monument 6.” Wayeb Notes, 34, 1-68.

Hourmouziadis, G.H. (2002). Dispilio, 7500 years after, Thessaloniki: University Studio Press

Houston, S. & Stuart, D. (1996). “Of gods, glyphs, and kings: Divinity and rulership among the Classic Maya.” Antiquity, 70 (268), 289-312.

Houston, S. (2008). “What will not happen in 2012.” Maya Decipherment.

Nielsen, J. & Reunert, T.S. (2009). “Dante's heritage: Questioning the multi-layered model of the Mesoamerican universe.” Antiquity, 83 (320), 319-433.

Normark, J. (2010). “Calleman's '2011 correlation.'” Archaeological Haecceities.

Schele, L. & Freidel, D. (1990) A forest of kings: The untold story of the Maya, New York: Harper.

Stuart, D. (2011). “More on Tortuguero's Monument 6 and the prophecy that wasn't.” Maya Decipherment.

Suyu, S.H., Marshall, P.J., Auger, M.W., Hilbert, S., Blandford, R.D., Koopmans, L.V.E., . . . Treu, T. (2010). “Dissecting the gravitational lens B1608+656. II. Precision measurements of the Hubble constant, spatial curvature, and the dark energy equation of state.” The astrophysical journal, 711 (1), 201-221.

Thompson, J.E.S. (1990). Maya History and Religion, Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I like reading this stuff, but then when the gibberish words start with numbers that are supposed to have some meaning I dont like reading it anymore... No man shall no the date not even the angels in heaven.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Brilliant research X - excellent read. S&F
I suspect not enough people will read it

reply to post by fishman1985

you should actually read the bible before pulling choice passages that suit your purpose.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

The Long Count is actually pretty simply to understand.

1 k'in = 1 day
20 k'in = 1 wival = 20 days = 0.055 years
18 wival = 1 tun = 360 days = 0.986 years
20 tun = 1 katun = 7200 days = 19.71 years
20 katun = 1 baktun = 144,000 days = 394.3 years

Then from there you just need to know what 0.0.0.0.0 corresponds to, which under the GMT correlation is August 11, 3114 BC.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm more surprised nobody is doing a thread on the Dark Knight prediction seeing as to how we are just days away and that prediction was made in 2006 I think.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

There's not really much to be done with that. We were given so little information that no real research can actually be done. However, we can look at the events DarkKnight said would precede October 28th and none of those have occurred.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am now considering every single thing as having some truths. Your theory or perception concerning Maya cosmology is indeed very intriguing and I am not as well informed as you are on the topic. But, I can tell you that in every lie, there is a bit of truth so I think you might onto something here.

What is sad although is the history in itself was put in a way so that we think it is as it is. History is a perception of some event or ideas put all together by the one who wrote. It is not absolute in my opinion, but it is another whole debate.

Great thread and interesting. I must say this is very great time to be here living. The more time goes by, the more intriguing things seems to become indeed.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Calleman is so spot on it should be wrong. Apparently you guys aren't aware of all the magnificent changes that have occurred on our timeline. OWS has been a success and sparked worldwide peaceful revolution about two weeks ago. It's just been a massive party since then. Everyone is just having a good time having lots of sex and imbibing in all the best German beer we can handle (which is a lot bc in this new 5D timeline, you get drunk but you never puke!) Of course that is simply because you guys are stuck in the old matrix. You guys will live through the horrors about to befall your civilization bc you didn't heed the warnings and return to unity. Hopefully you all can join us when the next portal opens. Laheim.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Unfortunately it looks like you were right. Despite what people claim on here they're not really interested in the truth. Instead they're more interested in the most sensational stories they can find. In the end they're not much different than the demographic that the MSM is aimed towards. It really makes you wonder how many of them actually believe what they claim to believe and how many of them believe in conspiracies and support alternative media simply to be contrarian.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Excellent work X! You are semi-correct in assuming that not enough people will read it. They will either read it and move on or, get to the point where you begin to clearly prove that this date is wrong and stop there.

I'm getting absolutely sick of all these dates but alas, they will continue to emerge and be supported by day dreamers and those wishing to appear more intelligent than they actually are..maybe for profit, maybe not.

The fact is, there is an excess of predictions being made by those who lack the credentials to speculate and base arguments off the evidence presented by advanced forms of themselves.

Keep up the good work mate

There's a difference between skeptics and realists.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Calleman is so spot on it should be wrong. Apparently you guys aren't aware of all the magnificent changes that have occurred on our timeline. OWS has been a success and sparked worldwide peaceful revolution about two weeks ago. It's just been a massive party since then. Everyone is just having a good time having lots of sex and imbibing in all the best German beer we can handle (which is a lot bc in this new 5D timeline, you get drunk but you never puke!) Of course that is simply because you guys are stuck in the old matrix. You guys will live through the horrors about to befall your civilization bc you didn't heed the warnings and return to unity. Hopefully you all can join us when the next portal opens. Laheim.

Where to start..

A) What exactly have the OWS protests been successful in achieving?

B) There has been no revolution...incase you haven't noticed- nothing has changed!

C) The Occupy movements are being participated in by less than 1% of the globe-FACT so,

D) Is it not us in unity with you guys being separatists?

E) Don't try to guilt us in to joining the movements with threats of stagnation in th eold matrix

F)..FS! Stop delivering prophecy stemming from a topic you are not even at the beginner stage of truly understanding. If you argue otherwise, you are delusional.

The OP isn't dismissing the possibilities of a paradigm/dimensional shift and neither am I however, I have my own brain capable of processing information and forming an educated opinion- I don't need somebody basically stating that I myself, know nothing and will miss out if I don't do exactly what you say.

I'm all for unity.

Laheim..had to look that one up.

Sahha! Same thing but in the language of MY ancestors (Maltese/North African)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88

spot on mate

Don't take Calleman out of context sure he may not be 100% right but there is some truth to this.
The world is changing before our eyes, and i can't deny that something in my consciousness has been a quite wavey.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ah yes and lets not forget about ian lungold to my knowledge he explains this change better than most people.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

This thread epitomizes why I joined ATS. It is presented rationally. It lacks emotional predisposition or clever biases. The points are supported by references and although the is certainly making an assertion, it is the facts which allow the reader to reach his own conclusion.

Bravo. You make me a proud member of ATS through your hard work.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thank you. This is interesting and nicely put together.

Reading it is like shopping at an expensive department store where everything is stocked by label, size, color and matching accessories vs. shopping at thrift store where you have to dig through piles of random crap.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GlobalControl

Where did I say the world is changing? The world is always changing. However, that doesn't mean it has anything to do with waves of consciousness. For example compare the motives of OWS to the motives of the French Revolution. They're pretty much identical. The only difference is OWS' ability to spread their message to the entire world. That's not due to a change in consciousness, but a change in technology. In the end we want the same things we wanted centuries even though we're supposedly at a higher level of consciousness now. OWS disproves Calleman's theory in another way as well. It shows that people still have a fixation on and a desire for money. Yet, Calleman said that money was going to be gotten rid of in 2009. So much for us evolving to the point where we no longer care about money.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I was suckered into Calleman's crap too.

I am now liberated.

There is no global conciousness change. All of that Mayan day and night stuff was complete nonsense. Two days left and we put another load of crap to bed.

Next up - YU55. The emergency broadcast thing in the States. Don't worry about the rest of the world, they don't need an emergency broadcast to be told about the END. The Americans are blessed!

After that fails you have 11-11-11.

Yea, the end is always nigh. Nothing will save any of you 'tards from your empty existences. Except your shared misery and belief that something "is about to happen".

Also, Harold Camping, Elenin, Rapture, Jews, OWS.

I for one am looking forward to the one-world currency and instant millionaire that it will make me. Go go gadget global financial collapse. Illuminati forever. Where do I line \up for mah chip?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join