It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building with DNA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Design Rules Will Enable Scientists to Use DNA to Build Nanomaterials With Desired Properties

ScienceDaily (Oct. 13, 2011) — Nature is a master builder. Using a bottom-up approach, nature takes tiny atoms and, through chemical bonding, makes crystalline materials, like diamonds, silicon and even table salt. In all of them, the properties of the crystals depend upon the type and arrangement of atoms within the crystalline lattice.

Now this is interesting. Building entirely new materials using DNA and nanoparticles is an interesting concept. Imagine, if you will, being able to build a programmable skin that would instantly heal cuts, broken bones, or repair previously impossible to repair living tissues. It has many limitless possibilities in commercial applications as well. If you could program the particles themselves then we would have self assembling nano-particles being built in a DNA crystalline lattice. The world of technology could be more responsive to humans than ever before.

The article continues:

Using nanoparticles as "atoms" and DNA as "bonds," the scientists have learned how to create crystals with the particles arranged in the same types of atomic lattice configurations as some found in nature, but they also have built completely new structures that have no naturally occurring mineral counterpart.
The basic design rules the Northwestern scientists have established for this approach to nanoparticle assembly promise the possibility of creating a variety of new materials that could be useful in catalysis, electronics, optics, biomedicine and energy generation, storage and conversion technologies.

Indeed. The possibilities for this type of technology are endless.

edit on 25-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If scientists keep making this advancements they will put the pharmaceutical companies out of business.

That was sarcasm....

Seriously though I love this stuff. It all falls in line with transhumanism in a way. While I am wholly against the concept of transhumanism, I am still completely fascinated by it in every way.

The idea of building up from DNA and potentially improving upon what we already have is cool, wonder what else they will figure out.

S&F

ETA: I read this article once a few years back where they intended to have nano machines ride along the DNA like a train on a track. Along the way it would continuously repair and or manipulate the strands.
Crazy..
edit on 25-10-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Indeed. The possibilities for this type of technology are endless.

edit on 25-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Absolutely. I've thought about this type of stuff for a while. The big limits to this are human interfacing and power generation.

Theoretically though with the power in place and the ability to interface at the level of thought you could get pretty whacky.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xFiDgetx

Ghost in the Shell pops up every time I see technology like this.

A while ago I read an article(that I can't find anymore) that broke down the story of Ghost in the Shell explaining how we could get there, and that in the end the story itself is probably closer to any future reality in regard to our interfacing with technology, and the cyberization of humanity than any other theory out there. I'm beginning to believe that to be the case.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Funny. This is kinda reminding me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

It's interesting how Sci Fi seems to influence the direction of technology.

15 years ago an IPad was something you saw in Star Trek.

Now almost everyone has one, and they look better than the stuff we got a glimpse of on Star Trek.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

A while ago I read an article(that I can't find anymore) that broke down the story of Ghost in the Shell explaining how we could get there, and that in the end the story itself is probably closer to any future reality in regard to our interfacing with technology, and the cyberization of humanity than any other theory out there. I'm beginning to believe that to be the case.

Many scientists say that full integration into technology is 100% inevitable. Some say 20 years, some say 100, but the consensus is a resounding "Yes it will happen".
Look at most people now, they carry a cell phone everywhere and it is so much a part of their lives now it might as well be a part of their body.
The only logical step is to physically integrate these into the flesh, and where the body fails to accept, you simply make a new body that will be more receptive. At that point you move on to a post human society.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I like to think of the cyberization of humanity as just a step. Theoretically you could have nano machines that permeate your body with some kind of field manipulation capabilities. If, in the far future, our theories hold water, then we should be able to put Ghost in the Shell tech to shame with our natural bodies intact. Like I said though... whacky.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

Many scientists say that full integration into technology is 100% inevitable. Some say 20 years, some say 100, but the consensus is a resounding "Yes it will happen".
Look at most people now, they carry a cell phone everywhere and it is so much a part of their lives now it might as well be a part of their body.
The only logical step is to physically integrate these into the flesh, and where the body fails to accept, you simply make a new body that will be more receptive. At that point you move on to a post human society.

I think that the diversity of human thought will cause a splintering. I can't see there not being SOMEONE that would complain about not having a meat filled body.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think people would be surprised to learn that the technology you speak of is not nearly as far off as people think.
The level of advancement is growing so fast that some futurist suspect doing away with bodies altogether and being basically incorporeal. Now that's wacky.

The ghost in the shell stuff is actually right around the corner chronologically speaking. They can do so much crap to the body in the next 30 to 50 years, you might as well be called a god by today's standards.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Cybernetics may be the first step, however:
www.wired.com...

This guy survived the experiment and it was a success. I remember seeing a documentary about it on the Discovery channel.

Truly amazing stuff.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFiDgetx

I think that the diversity of human thought will cause a splintering. I can't see there not being SOMEONE that would complain about not having a meat filled body.

Well, I certainly entertain the idea. Assuming the technology were shared with the general public for reasonable price, I might do a little something. Like artificial red blood cells perhaps.

The chances are pretty good that if you are under the age of 50 and in good health you may very well see Immortality become a common place option in society.

That being said, I am still opposed to it, but I can see the reasoning behind it. If I am opposed to this then why not be opposed to cell phones and internet as well right? It's all effed up.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I think people would be surprised to learn that the technology you speak of is not nearly as far off as people think.
The level of advancement is growing so fast that some futurist suspect doing away with bodies altogether and being basically incorporeal. Now that's wacky.

The ghost in the shell stuff is actually right around the corner chronologically speaking. They can do so much crap to the body in the next 30 to 50 years, you might as well be called a god by today's standards.

True. People would be stupendously surprised.

This reminds me of the technology singularity, the point at which our technology begins upgrading itself faster than we can do it for them. This could very well happen rather soon, and if it does then you're absolutely right. Field-manipulating nano-bots could be just around the corner.
edit on 25-10-2011 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Well, I certainly entertain the idea. Assuming the technology were shared with the general public for reasonable price, I might do a little something. Like artificial red blood cells perhaps.

The chances are pretty good that if you are under the age of 50 and in good health you may very well see Immortality become a common place option in society.

That being said, I am still opposed to it, but I can see the reasoning behind it. If I am opposed to this then why not be opposed to cell phones and internet as well right? It's all effed up.

I read a sci-fi series where the future residents had "OC tattoos", the "OC" being organic circuitry.

The tats were pretty awesome in that you could customize the aesthetics. One character had wings comming off the sides of her eyes that would glow silver when activated, they were invisible when not in use. Not gonna lie, I would be all about something like that.
edit on 25-10-2011 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I've heard of that.

They are basically tattoos that change color and design with the mood and thoughts of the individual.

It is an interesting idea for sure. And I wonder if this type of technology would be able to achieve such a thing.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Cybernetics may be the first step, however:
www.wired.com...

This guy survived the experiment and it was a success. I remember seeing a documentary about it on the Discovery channel.

Truly amazing stuff.

That is awesome. I had no idea that existed and I am ashamed. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Indeed.

There are many others doing such experiments as we speak.

Right now it is simply to try and see if the blind and deaf can be helped. So far there have been some successes in the field. In the future, probably by the time I'm 45 or 50, this technology will likely be used to augment human abilities.

At least I hope so. I'm not for what techies call transhumanism, but I am for using technology to improve the way we interact with the world.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I would like to think we are 30-40 years away from the first optional implants. I would say 20 before they start using tech to restore vision and hearing. We are at the basic test phase now as the OP stated. I can see it now you spot a hot chick arcoss the room and you say hi and she says let me give you my number stops thinks real real hard and blows a snot bubble.. split sec later you hear the ring in your ear you have mail

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Yeah. A little friendly augmenting is fine, but I want to be mainly human.

Before that rolls around though we should be able to see some pretty cool stuff. Bulletproof shirts and tankless diving suits. The next few years should be pretty damn exciting.

This thread is really ruining the doom and gloom part of ATS for me right now.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Yeah. Some times I need to take a step back from the doom and present something that gives actual hope for humanity.

Sorry about that

top topics

<<   2 >>

join