It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD forms new social media unit to mine Facebook and Twitter for mayhem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"The NYPD has formed a new unit to track troublemakers who announce plans or brag about their crimes on Twitter, MySpace and Facebook."

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

When the net is openly policed for "trublemakers" it is truely time for change, Anon where are you on this? time for some LULZ

(sorry if in wrong place mods feel free to move )

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I do not find it surprising they are looking for

Mayhem like me.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm usually opposed to the police state mentality, but in this case, I say let Darwinism do it's job.
If people are THAT stupid to post details about their crimes or plans to commit crime, then they deserve what they get.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Pre-crime keeps moving back one step at a time.

Pretty soon simpl ebeing within ten feet of a computer will be justifiable cause to haul you in and turn your life upside down for a whole host of possible crimes you may have been planning to commit.

You walked past a sporting goods store and looked in? Well, you could have been casing the joint, planning a murder, heading off to poach a panda, possibly solicit the owner or panhandle a customer.

Too many opportunities for crime and we can't have that. We'll just hold you for 48 hours and have a state sanctioned professional evaluate you.

Can't be too safe in this post-911 world after all.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
nvm.. bad post. delete pls.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Shouldn't they be using tax dollars to investigate the dark net instead of entrapping honest citizens? This is our money being used against us here!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to spend that kind of money in these tight times to chase 11 year old kids talking trash online?
Troll Patrol?
Good god.
Gotta keep the "internets" safe you know.. they are but a "series of tubes".
Morons.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

This reminds me of that fool from Brooklyn who was wanted by the NYPD and taunted them via Facebook to come find him. Well, they found him

Fugitive taunts police on Facebook and......gets caught...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Good. If people are stupid enough to brag about their illegal activities on social media, they deserve to be arrested.

They should be charged with being stupid, on top of any criminal charges that they may face.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

People dumb enough to brag about being criminals and their crimes on the public Internet deserve whatever happens to them. Those who support criminals share in the guilt and shame also. I've never seen the difference between criminals and those who support or make excuses for them.

Think about it. Who is stupid enough to post information about their crimes in the first place?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Whats next.. You posted a song that has copy right issues or that movie wasn't meant to air in the US. There is a fine line hear it will start as tracking real crimes then it will move to who knows what.. People who give up there freedom for protection don't deserve either..

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by warsight

How is viewing public postings on public sites an attack on freedom? That would be like posting here thinking its not available to anyone to see.

new topics

top topics

join