It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter time is here: Supposed forecast for USA 2011-2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I know there are and are going to be several posts about winter this year.... I just thought I would share some of the forecasts that I came across. Get ready, have extra food and water, alternate source of heat etc.... not fear mongering whatsoever, but the more people are prepared the easier it will be on them. Where I'm at, we are in a freeze warning until tomorrow 10am, and BRRRRRRRRR it went from 70 yesterday to 28 this morning!

Here are some links to look at:

www.nws.noaa.gov...
24 Oct 11 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY… A PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM …WILL PRODUCE WIDESPREAD SNOW ACROSS SE WYOMING AND THE PANHANDLE OF NEBRASKA. SNOW EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT TIMES TUES NIGHT… ESPECIALLY IN SE WYOMING FROM THE SNOWY RANGE EASTWARD TO CHEYENNE. THIS INCLUDES THE I-80 CORRIDOR. SNOW EXPECTED TO BEGIN TAPERING OFF WEDNESDAY.

www.businessweek.com...
U.S. Winter May Be Coldest in Decade, Commodity Weather Says

reasonabledoubtclimate.wordpress.com...
Century + long trends show that rather than facing perpetual drought, September precipitation in the southern region of the US (Including Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas!) has an increasing trend since 1895:

news.yahoo.com...
Cool California weather keeps winemakers waiting

So much for global warming huh?

Here is another site to look at...
iceagenow.info...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Looks like we only get global warming in the summer.
Winter's will be reserved for mini Ice Ages (not that we'd notice where I live - it's always like that)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Are you prepared for winter?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

ahahahaha Yep...... thought I would share a few of the real sites though before people started posting personal predictions LOL

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
the Earth's orbital plain changes... it goes both above & then below the Average some of the time

Earth's orbit -

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_orbit

In astronomy, the Earth's orbit is the motion of the Earth around the Sun, at an ... The changing Earth-Sun distance results in an increase of about 6.9% in solar ..

also:

Eccentricity of an Orbit
www.windows2universe.org/physical.../orbit/eccentricity.html
Dec 16, 2005 – The eccentricity of Earth's orbit is very small, so Earth's orbit is nearly circular. Earth's orbital eccentricity is less than 0.02. The orbit of Pluto is ...

also:

Ecliptic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic
The ecliptic is the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun. ... plane, which is the geometric plane containing the mean orbit of the Earth around the Sun. .... Inclination and nodal lines, as almost all other orbital elements, change slowly over the ...

every so many thousands of years... the plain of the orbital path changes, although the Earth Axis and the Earth ellipse around the Sun remains the same...

it allows for the start of a new ice-age if conditions are right...but an out-gassing Planet should nullify the angle of the orbit to the Sun and result in hot seasons but very wet-cold winters...because of the lesser inclination of the Earth to the source of warmth (the Sun)
edit on 25-10-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I tend to watch "nature" for clues to weather to come. Some consider it folk lore, but often times, it is "right on".
I have often found nature is more reliable than the TV forecast prophets.

Location is near Clearwater, Florida. This year I noticed that the squirrels had stripped all of the pine cones from the trees by the first week of October. Also, the squirrels nests became so heavy with hoarding that several have fallen out of the tree tops now.

The wooly worm is also supposed to be an indicator of the severity of the coming winter months and it is determined by the color of it's coat of bristles. I haven't seen one yet...so I can't say.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I too watch nature and have been predicting what is to come within a week or so in the winter time. Usually it is right on, although there are only a few select people I share it with... like if it's going to snow and how much, how long the snow will last based on what the trees and animals are doing right before it snows..... kind of a hobby of mine, and so far no one thinks I'm nuts for saying what I think it will be like

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i said in early october last year that it was gonna be a cold winter and it waas. this year...i'm saying it's gonna be even colder.

here it atlanta...it was 70 one night....then 38 the next. and just wait until we get a nice, thick blanket cloud that stays over your area for a week and a half and blocks all the sunshine. it made 95 feel like 75 over the summer...imagine what it's gonna make 40 feel like in the winter...
edit on 10/25/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I like to follow the wild life myself, and I know a few weeks ago the squirrels were on some kind of suicide spree. The road kill was awful. It wasnt unusual to see three or four in the same place. They would just run out into the road like they were rabid or something. It really broke my heart. Only lasted for a couple weeks and now all seems to be back to normal. This happened like the last week of Sept. and first week og Oct. in Rhode Island and Mass.

I really dont know what it means concerning the weather per say, but I do know it was very unusual. I drive for a living, so I am pretty used to what is normal or not. Something is up though.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I can handle snow and freezing temps. I'll even say I PREFER temps below 10 if it must get below freezing at all. I've noticed that below about 10 degrees, it's more a physical feeling than a sense of cold and I can ignore the physical side a whole lot better. What I simply ask The Powers That Be is to choose one of the two. Snow or Rain.

No More Ice Storms!

Bring it on for anything else.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
With the continual melting and calving of the arctic glaciers we can expect to see higher oscillation rates, which some believe contributes to the extreme changes we have experienced in the last few years. I expect that last years record snowfalls in the North East US will be challenged by this seasons systems.

Où est votre toque?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
hehe, what a coincidence, tonight I just watched a documentary called "The Big freeze":

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

edit on 25-10-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Thank you! Interesting!

Appreciate all info I can get on this subject.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm with you...no ice please. Remember this?

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

edit on 25-10-2011 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

I remember something like this in 1996 North of Spokane, Washington. Ice storm that I said was from hell at the time. Power was out for 3 weeks where we were at if not longer.... We cooked Thanksgiving dinner on the BBQ and it was CRAPPY.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The Earth dosent shift its orbit for another 55000 years.Its called the Milankovitch cycles

Global warming does change the weather patterns and places will have extreme heat and extreme cold temperatures in places where they dont usually have it. Rapid warming leads to a rapid cooling and something i do believe we have now entered.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Aletheia007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
reply to post by Surfeit

I remember something like this in 1996 North of Spokane, Washington. Ice storm that I said was from hell at the time. Power was out for 3 weeks where we were at if not longer.... We cooked Thanksgiving dinner on the BBQ and it was CRAPPY.

The Northeast ice storm about 5 years ago caused power outages for nearly a month in many places. Why I have 30 GL of kerosene for the emergency heater, 15 GL of gasoline (so far) for the 8KW generator for the furnace, and a propane space heater to use with my +100GL tan outside.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

I'm in North Texas, and I swear the same is happening with squirrels and skunks here. I've even seen more racoons (maybe 1 a week on the side of the road, but now easily 2-3). We have a lot of squirrels at my school, and they've been running around crazily these past few weeks. I thought it was just me.

Last summer, it was insanely hot, and they said that winter, for us, was supposed to be warmer and drier. It ended up being one of the coldest times I can remember, and we had 2 snow/ice storms. One day, we had more snow than what felt like all the other days of my life combined. In a "good" winter, we'll get 2-3 inches of snow, but we were getting 2 feet at a time. It was crazy. This year was the hottest on record for this area, and we had over 70 days of 100+ temperatures and little to no rain (up until recently). It was like summer of 2010, but on steroids. I love snow and cold weather, but I'm worried that this winter will be worse than last year. This area is not used to things like that.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
I tend to watch "nature" for clues to weather to come. Some consider it folk lore, but often times, it is "right on".
I have often found nature is more reliable than the TV forecast prophets.

Location is near Clearwater, Florida. This year I noticed that the squirrels had stripped all of the pine cones from the trees by the first week of October. Also, the squirrels nests became so heavy with hoarding that several have fallen out of the tree tops now.

The wooly worm is also supposed to be an indicator of the severity of the coming winter months and it is determined by the color of it's coat of bristles. I haven't seen one yet...so I can't say.

This summer,the squirrels stripped all my apple and pear trees bare.
Took all the seeds out of them and buried them.
I"m in Kentucky.

Should a goose's breastbone be hard to obtain observe the moss growing on any nearby tree: the more moss on the south side of the tree the harder the coming winter. One can also watch squirrels burying their nuts: the deeper they bury them the lower the lowest temperature will be for the upcoming winter. Fruit trees blooming twice in one year are a certain sign the winter will be severe, and when rabbits habitually take shelter in brush piles a severe winter is assured.

www.naturealmanac.com...
edit on 25-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

I missed the 1998 ice storm, but I was sure here for 2007 in southern Missouri. That was just devastating. I'll never think of ice storms the same way, to be sure. It also taught everyone in this region what preparation for mid-term lack of any services in the winter means, so I suppose it had a positive aspect to it in the end. When I am out at Sams club buying things to stock my disaster supplies, it that I think of, as opposed to comets, earthquakes or anything else.

new topics

top topics

join