It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL Supreme Court suspends "bully" judge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Now that we're seeing the Supreme Court ruling on the behavior of this particular judge, I hope it trickles down to others in power who think they can behave in a demeaning way just because they're in a high ranking position.

www.orlandosentinel.com...

Shea, 56, a judge since 2007, thought he had settled the complaints against him by signing an agreement June 1 with the Judicial Qualifications Commission, the state panel that polices judges.

It had formally charged him with violating three judicial canons – in summary, losing his temper and behaving like a bully.

The commission cited nine instances of bad behavior, including three that were vaguely sexist. One time he asked a female assistant state attorney to get coffee for everyone in the courtroom. Another time while the same attorney was at a bench conference, he shaped his hand like a talking mouth and said he sometimes found it wise to let a woman "just talk until she's finished" then do whatever you like.

It must become known and understood that this is never acceptable behavior from judges, police officers, or any one else who is in a power position. We the people will not tolerate being yelled at, disrespected, or made to appear/feel inferior no matter what!

I hope others who are known to act the same way this judge did take notice of this ruling and govern themselves accordingly.

Bullies in power will be knocked down!
edit on 25-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Wise man once said.

... he sometimes found it wise to let a woman "just talk until she's finished" then do whatever you like.

I had to laugh at this one. I can just see him doing this.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Florida in general is a very misguided, mishandled, and misrepresented. The state has been going 'downhill' for years. It's sad to see such a beautiful state be handled in such a wrong way.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

Handled in a wrong way? I don't understand why you see it this way.
I would think that this judge just had his last warning. Next time he's caught behaving this way, I'd think he'd be thrown from the bench permanently.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
wow thats fantastic !

i am so glad to hear stories like this where the system filters its own out sometimes!

it shows there is an effort and not the totatilarian government most want you to believe lol

score one for justice

That judge should be imprisioned for setting a bad example in such a high role !

make him an example for other punk judges that think there to cool and everyone else is a fool type mentality

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I see where the humor is, but on the other hand, if a female attorney thinks that she lost a case because of this judge's sexist views, cases may have to be heard again. More wasted time on the docket because of an immature power figure.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is also part of the same article:

The state high court, though, ruled two weeks ago that a reprimand was too mild a sanction. Shea should be suspended for 60 days without pay, foregoing $24,000 in pay. He also should write letters of apology to seven people, five of them assistant state attorneys whom he had mistreated, and continue with mental health counseling to get control of his temper.

He's obviously ticked off someone much higher than him.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I hope the assistant gave him the worst coffee he ever drank. If they brewed at the court in the cafeteria, I would have taken the coffee, and poured for everyone else. Leaving just enough for a cup. Dump that back in the pot. Add another cup of water, and a ton of coffee. Given him sludge. Maybe add cream, sugar, hot sauce, salt, and a couple of extra things they may have had.

Otherwise go to McDondalds or the place you know serves the worst coffee, buy decaf, and ask for all the sauces for McNuggets. Put a little of each in. Then serve.

PS. Everyone else would get good coffee, or starbucks if the judge was paying.

edit on 26/10/2011 by Mystery_Lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
UPDATE

www.orlandosentinel.com...

Orange-Osceola Circuit Judge Tim Shea today told the Florida Supreme Court no, he won't agree to a 60-day unpaid suspension as punishment for bullying attorneys who appear in his courtroom.

Kirkconnell said the matter now goes back to the Judicial Qualifications Commission, the state agency that polices judges and had filed charges against Shea in the first place.

JQC proceedings are much like criminal court cases, and when a plea offer falls apart in criminal court, the two sides often try to cobble together a new deal or the matter proceeds to trial. Either of those things could happen with Shea.

What's extraordinary in this case is that the final arbiter in all JQC cases – the Florida Supreme Court – has already made clear that it thinks Shea was in the wrong and how he should be punished.

What an arrogant SOB. I hope they remove him from the bench permanently.
It'll be interesting to see what they decide.

top topics

join