It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Raid Occupy Oakland, Make Arrests, And Tear Down Campsite -- Videos & Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This morning, police showed up in riot gear with rubber bullets, flash grenades, and tear gas, and made a bunch of arrests at the occupy oakland campsite. From the occupy oakland website:

This morning at 5am over 500 police in riot gear from cities all over central California brutally attacked the Occupy Oakland encampment at 14th & Broadway. The police attacked the peaceful protest with flash grenades, tear gas, and rubber bullets after moving in with armored vehicles. Apparently the media was not allowed in to document this repression, and the police established barricades as far apart as 11th and 17th. Over 70 people were arrested and the camp gear was destroyed and/or stolen by the riot police.

Video of the cops tearing down the campsite and making arrests:

Article about the raid, which contains a picture slideshow.
edit on 25-10-2011 by TupacShakur because:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Typical military tactic. Attack pre dawn and obliterate the enemy.

In any case. What laws were broken.
Not sure. But all of them should band together and sue the city for denying them their right to peaceful assembly.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It might have been the best time to rush them. I personally know a few of the folks, who were in Oakland, and they probably just went to sleep.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Typical military tactic. Attack pre dawn and obliterate the enemy.
That's the scary thing, the people who they are supposed to be protecting are seen as the "enemy".

In any case. What laws were broken.
As far as I know, none. This article doesn't cite any specific laws, just a command really:

Oakland officials Thursday night ordered protesters inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement to vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza outside City Hall, where hundreds of people have lived since Oct. 10 in an elaborate tent city complete with a kitchen, a school and a medical tent.

A document titled "Notice to Vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza" was posted on the city's website at 8 p.m. by the office of City Administrator Deanna Santana. It said Oakland was committed to allowing free speech, but also had a responsibility to protect public safety.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
looks like a bunch criminals behind a badge if you ask me!

look at them all with there beatting sticks ready to bash some peaceful persons head in at a moments notice
edit on 25-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

It might have been the best time to rush them. I personally know a few of the folks, who were in Oakland, and they probably just went to sleep.
Yeah nothing beats some tear gas, rubber bullets, and flash grenades to wake you up in the morning. I hope that eventually, cops around the country will start saying no when they're asked to tear down the campsites and arrest the protesters.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i wonder if any of those people were miranda'd before/during arrest
also... why the frak would they tear through their crap like that ? what did they do wrong/what were they doing wrong at that very moment were the police (which might i add looked like nazi storm troopers) started trashing their stuff...insane

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shiftlove14

I know dude, they just go in there and rip everything down. I bet those people sure as hell aren't getting their supplies back either. It seems that the people weren't doing anything wrong, the local government decided they've had enough, and ordered it shut down.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
From what I understand, camping in that park is against the law. After asking and informing the people that they where breaking the law multiple times, they did something about it.

The police are not saying they can not demonstrate, what do these people camping here not understand about not camping in the park? Seems pretty straight forward to me...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is most definitely a reaction to Occupy Oakland's "Move Chase, Get out the way, get out the way Chase, get out the way." scene from yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
need to get the names of all cops in the world when things change they are the ones that need to b eliminated, they dont deserve a better world when they are the enforcers to a #tier one at the moment

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The boys in blue giving themselves yet another black eye.

Far be it from me to counsel these paradigms of public service, but maybe.. just maybe you ought to consider what will happen when violence erupts for real during one of these confrontations, and how those wearing a badge, and carrying batons will be treated then. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

From what I understand, camping in that park is against the law. After asking and informing the people that they where breaking the law multiple times, they did something about it.

The police are not saying they can not demonstrate, what do these people camping here not understand about not camping in the park? Seems pretty straight forward to me...
Hmm, I didn't know that. From what I read, some local government officials just requested that they be removed. I didn't see any specific laws cited. Can you post something to back that up?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
How DARE they disobey the government!!! How dare they sit in a public place... this whole system is retarded. 200 something people deciding whats best for MILLIONS (possibly a billion?) of citizens on planet where we are just animals with the ability to communicate more efficiently than other animals. How messed up is that?

They take us into wars that people don't want to be a part of.
They say pay money to them to live in a house if not... homeless
They say WE tell you what to do, where you can and can't go

They have gone too far. They are owned by the Federal Reserve, whoever owns the money owns the system.

Peacful protesting is shown as wrong and illegal without a permit.
Wars are started without warning and us citizens are left in the firing line while they don't care.

WE ARE TAKING BACK WHAT THE HUMAN RACE LOST..... our dignity and honor.

EFF THE GOVERNMENT!!!

Rant over.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
"Battle lines are being drawn,
nobody's' right if everybody's wrong."
~Buffalo Springfield

new topics

top topics

join