It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If unemployment is so high, why are there crops rotting in the fields when they are offering to pay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

It depends on the crop. I know some people that take a leave of absence from their jobs to pick asparagus in the spring, they make twice as much as their "real job." Some is back breaking work, yes. Some not so bad. Apples are easy once you get used to the weight, I am female and can do it
The first few days knocked me in the dirt, but after that it was OK, especially when I had extra money at the end of the day

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
For how long though...???

It isn't laziness....

See, if someone is on unemployment, and they go and pick these apples for a few days...sure, they made $150 a day for a couple days, but now they can no longer collect unemployment to pay the bills while trying to land another job. (unless the pay is under the table)...

I remember when I was out, and looking for a few months. I would have LOST money getting a minimum wage job, and that's simply not an option when unemployment isn't even enough to pay the bills, I wasn't about to make LESS and not have those hours available in my job search.

Thank goodness my hard work each day looking for a job paid off, and I wasn't out too, too long...but in this market, it takes longer and longer to find a decent job. I wanted to work, wasn't lazy, but at the same time, I needed a job that would actually work for me and mine. Not that it's "beneath" me, but if it isn't going to pay the bills, then you need to keep at it and find one that does.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I was paid cash at the end of the day.... agriculture laws are so much different in this state than any other labor laws. For instance, they don't have to pay overtime in any agricultural job. That's why I was trying to get some people I knew were hurting to go out and earn a little bit of cash to supplement their unemployment check.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

If these growers are having serious labour difficulties, have they ever thought of travelling to Israel to see how the agricultural Kibbutz and Moshav are run? The system works well and everyone is happy.
edit on 25-10-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

In that case, then they really are lazy, or just plain stupid...

I did all kinds of odd jobs for cash while I was looking for work. We did a lot of cakes, I did some artwork, deliveries, etc. Without those little odd jobs, we simply couldn't have kept the lights on and a roof over our heads.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Not everyone I asked to go was lazy, just uninformed, and once they found the money is out there, they were right there.

On the other hand, one person told me that since she lived with her mother and had no rent to pay, got an unemployment check and $700 in food stamps, she wasn't needing any extra money for her or her kids..... go figure, why work when you get everything handed to you, right?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is just further extrapolation on Stephen Colbert's point. It's a pride issue and also a taboo for most anglo-Americans. Personally, picking apples in a field all day and learning a little Spanish sounds like a sweet deal but most people would say it's "beneath them".

I think it should be mandatory high school curriculum to spend a semester working in fields or restaurant kitchens just to gain a bit of perspective. Nobody should act like they are above an honest living.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
This is just further extrapolation on Stephen Colbert's point. It's a pride issue and also a taboo for most anglo-Americans. Personally, picking apples in a field all day and learning a little Spanish sounds like a sweet deal but most people would say it's "beneath them".

I think it should be mandatory high school curriculum to spend a semester working in fields or restaurant kitchens just to gain a bit of perspective. Nobody should act like they are above an honest living.

OMG my man!! What, that is treasonous that you even mention such a thing.

Putting kids out in a field to do a little work, what on earth are you smoking. Your idea goes against the constant coddling American kids get today. Why on earth would we want to teach kids a little work ethic.

/sarcasm

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

yeah, here in NC it would hve been offered at $3 an hr.

I would LOVE to find a way to make just $100 a day off the books here..

There must be a catch to the job. I can't imagine that..The farm probably coulda went thru an employment agency. They always have people begging for work..This smells like something..

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

This is 100% legit. I doubted it myself until I went and did it and got paid that day

One thing about where I live, even though the nation is in a slump, the economy here is still growing, largely due to agriculture.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

at 13 years old I detassled corn (1989) and got paid $8 hr. Worked my tail off, getting up at 430 am just to catch the bus to the fields. The job was tough, soaking wet and freezing til 11am, then soaking wet and sweating ater lunch. The corn was so sharp i would wear Through a pair of leather over wool US issue pilots gloves ina day. Through the leather and wool...

Oh ill never forget life at Chanute AFB..

all the 'rich kids' who signed up quit within the first week. It was us 'middle' class kids that did it all 6 weeks. Not tainted by either the trailer park welfare crowd or the snooty silver spoons in mouths preps..Who have 20 yrs later, still never worked, are in their 30's and still live in nicer homes, cars, etc than the working stiffs they used to ridicule..

Man this 80 year long GAME OF MONOPOLY needs to reset..

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

I grew up on construction sites, and the moment I could handle a broom, one was put in my hands. I believe the first house I swept was at 6 years old.

I would love to see a day when the certain wealthy find themselves in a situation where money does them absolutely no good at all. I want to see how survival of the fittest works then, when they are no longer in the world they created and control. I can see them now running to get help from the people that know how to survive and able to effectively adapt to adverse conditions when money has no bearing at all.

I am not picking on the wealthy people that earned their money honestly with hard work.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Awesome...... I also grew up with construction, meat cutting, farming, and anything else my father took a fancy to. He instilled in (7 kids, I am the youngest) us extreme work ethics and survival techniques. Kids now think it's OK to sit around until they are 25 or so not doing anything but depending on MOMMY & DADDY to fulfill their every need.

All I was trying to point out in this post was that there is so much being wasted when people don't want to earn their money. Jobs CAN be available in some areas, and when they are, people need to jump on it.

I provided links and testimony, have nothing to lose or gain by lying(except my own self respect) and still some people seem to think this is untrue. I feel kind of bad for them.

Anyways, thanks for your posts
Glad to see there are others out there that aren't afraid of an honest living when it is offered.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You know, I wish they had some nice seasonal jobs around here. They just don't. Its all corn and beans around here, corn and beans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join