It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some BSOD help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I hoping to get some help with a problem that occurred this morning. I started up my computer to find I had no signal to my monitor. I finally got the signal to work, but when Windows tried to load, it went straight to BSOD. Here are the error codes:
STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA800D5B0010, 0xFFFFF8800F819F10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x0000000000000004)

nvlddmkm.sys - Address FFFFF8800F819F10 base at FFFFF8800F018000, Datestamp 4dd73a68

Here are my system specs:
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Mobo
Intel i7-950 CPU @ 3070MHz
12GB OCZ Gold DDR3 Memory @ 1600MHz
1T Western Digital Caviar Black HDD @7200RPM
2x Galaxy GeForce GTX 470 GPU (not oc'd)
Windows 7 Home Premium x86/64

That is all the hardware info I can provide at this time, as CPU-Z and GPU-Z will not run fully in safe mode. I have tried uninstalling all nVidia drivers from my system in safe mode, reboot, installed latest nVidia drivers (285.62) to no avail. When I uninstall all nVidia drivers, System crashes while Windows is attempted to load. Any help on this would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Right off, that appears to be your video card.
Try reloading the drivers for it.

Edit:
Sorry, missed where you said you reloaded the drivers.

Can you totally remove the card from the hardware profiles and let plug and play find it again.

Do you have another video card to swap out with it.

I had an nvidia card once that if the computer was not properly shut down, like a power outage, I would always have to pull the card and reseat it to get it to work.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Try pulling one of your GPU's out and reboot. They may not be seated correctly and/or defective( yes they can blow out with NO prior warning.)

Try BOTH GPU's!

Also check your RAM modules to see if they are seated properly

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It's definitely a GPU driver issue.

Try replacing nvlddmkm.sys manually with the new file from the nVidia driver installer.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OblivionGate

Ok this is a common vista/win7 nvidia issue. Basically it's timing out trying to detect your video card and causes the blue screen.

I see you've already tried the basics, but lets get a little more specific.

Boot into safe mode, get into device manager and remove any vga drivers other than the standard drivers, in fact you could even "remove" the video card entirely and try a reboot to get it to auto detect.

Have you tried removing one of the cards? does your motherboard have onboard video?

some older nvidia cards had a feature that allowed you to hold down a key during boot up (control?) and it defaulted to the generic vga drivers. This might help you get back into windows at least.

But, as you stated, it's blue screening when trying to install the drivers, because it's having issues detecting your card.

I hate to say it, but the last time I had this issue I had to replace the GPu completely, it was toast. Default vga worked fine, the instant you attempt to install the nvidia driver, or use any advanced features, blue screens and other problems.

Try removing both cards, use airduster or what not to give the port a good cleaning (don't spray water in there!) and try 1 at a time.

I haven't done much with SLI, is there a slot that is required for a 1 card setup? If not try each card individually on each port, hopefully that will narrow done the issue.

As I said this is a common issue with some nvidia drivers on vista/win7 and sometimes it's as simple as removing the driver and starting over, other times the card itself is dead.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yes, I completely uninstalled both video cards from the hardware profile, and PnP just loads more nVidia drivers (albeit, older ones.) I went in to my HD and deleted every nVidia folder I could find, and Windows just put's it them right back. I will try physically removing one of the cards and see if it will load Windows for me. It was working fine last night, and my comp wasn't off for but a few hours before I turned it back on this morning.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I tried booting in safe mode, removed the drivers AND the hardware from the profile, and Windows just reloads nVidia drivers. I just cleaned all of the dust out of my system a few days ago, and I haven't had any overheating issues (though these cards run hot by default). I hope my cards aren't screwed. I have heard that running in SLi requires the cards be installed in certain slots, but these are, for lack of a better term, double sized cards, so I really only have one way I can install them on my mobo, and I haven't had any problems until today (system is almost a year old) Going to try removing one card and see if I can't get it to load.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If the above doesn't resolve the issue you should display ALL installed drivers (not just current devices) and make sure there aren't any potential conflicts. IE, remove all video devices and reinstall.

You can figure out what drivers are installed and manually remove them from windows/system32/drivers and try a reinstall.

Follow these instructions to view installed drivers for all devices:

www.petri.co.il...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You can also use a windows automation tool called "nlite" to manually remove the drivers. Ati and nvidia are really really bad for this, their uninstallers never remove the drivers fully and usually end up with conflicts. When I was running ATI cards I would use a program called "thedrivercleaner" to remove them.

That said, if you look for that app make sure it's specifically for video card drivers, not some crapware program with a similar name.

For SLI you obviously need an SLI ready board. Because SLI cards need to be bridged, they will be fairly close together. You were running sli so that's not the issue, but if one of the two cards is failing or has failed, you'd get similar blue screens.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The fact that the BIOS isn't flagging any hardware/connectivity problems with boards indicates that it's most likely a driver.

I would try stepping through the loading of your drivers until you isolate the one that's causing the BSOD.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
nvlddmkm.sys error is conman, you should google it and you will find allot. I used to get this error with a 9800gx2, I ended up having to throw the card out. They are newer cards so you should still have a warranty on them. By the way what are your temps, I know you said they are fine but just for kicks. How much room is in between your cards? At least 1 slot? Or the PCI E slots right next to each other PCI E slot. I saw that you have 4 PCI E slots on your motherboard. Talk about over kill. I dont know if this will work but put the second card in the lower PCI E slot to give your cards room. Like I said I dont know if it will work, if the SLI bridge is not big enough then use the TRI SLI bridge. Your motherboard came with one right? What kind of case do you have? How is the cooling on it? You have SLI you need a case with allot of cooling. I have 3 120mm and 4 90mm fans in my case.

edit on 25-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
One of the cards must have been seated improperly. Took the first card out out, booted fine with second card, put first card back in, booted like a champ. Thanks fellow ATSers for the assistance, stars for all of you!

top topics

join