It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welfare blocks the disabled from immigrating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Welfare is not always compassionate

Most people suppose that welfare is compassionate but it is not always so. Welfare prevents disabled immigrants who are willing to work from entering a country.

The country I am in does not have any infrastructure for the disabled so I cannot work or live independently. I want to be able to do so. I am very good with mathematics and computers. But I cannot go on my own to an office or building and work on my own, because there are no ramps, etc. I've been programming since I was 12, and I've some skills with programming. Yet in the country I am in I am stuck in the house all day and have a very low quality of life.

I want to immigrate to a country where I can live independently. I cannot always rely on my parents—they will die someday. I have no plans to take any welfare money or funds for medicine or the disabled. There is no cure for my condition anyway. I rarely go to the doctor. And I want to work, not live off of dole. I like to be independent and I believe very strongly in work being something everyone should do.

Yet I am not allowed to move because countries I will be able to immigrate to have a welfare system. Unless you are of good health, you cannot be granted residency. I speak good english, have skills that might contribute to the economy, and yet I am excluded because the laws assume I want to be on dole and do nothing. I find it ironic that welfare, touted as compassionate and good, can be used to exclude people. For you see, if there wasn't welfare, people wouldn't have to worry about immigrants coming to live off of dole, and people who can contribute to society would not be excluded.

Something to think about.
edit on 25-10-2011 by 547000 because: Make the title more accurate

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
you could just come here on a work visa? maybe. i herd temporary work visas might be an option.
dont give up just yet . where ther is a will ther is a way:
and if all else fairs you could try canada.... might actualy be better off there

edit on 25-10-2011 by jplaysguitar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Here is a link that I believe might elucidate what I am saying better.

I looked up Canada. One of the requirements is to be in good health. Same with most other countries that have the infrastructure I need to be a productive member of society.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
In this day if you have a reliable internet connection and a willingness to be motivated to work form home, you can literally tackle projects remotely no matter where you live -- and earn the same as western office workers, which, depending on where you are, could be a fortune.

I would suggest looking at this as a way to develop your portfolio and saving enough to be able to afford care in later life.

Finding this work isn't always easy and often requires competing against other freelancers, but if you're a very talented programmer as you say, and can provide examples of your trade, there's paid work out there, forget the welfare system.

I'm trying to take my own advice and in the last 12 months having been laid off I've been teaching myself coding and graphic design so that I can take charge of the work I choose to do.

Feel free to U2U with your experience and I'll send you a list of sites that would allow you to compete for work. I have a few projects I need to get rolling with too so I'd be interested to learn what your skills are.

All the best

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

The thing is my quality of life here is very low. That is why I want to move to the west. I'm tired of not being able to do anything on my own. I went to a college in the US for a few months, so I know that if there is the infrastructure I can do things on my own. Right now I am getting an online degree, since employers need to see a college degree before they hire you. I feel very frustrated with my life and feel I have no future here. I will probably need work experience, since my projects are just inspired by books I've read on programming. I also don't have the code I wrote in the past since those were incomplete projects.
edit on 25-10-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
see if you can find a an imagration lawyer to help or even give you free consultation...
try serching google like how to imigrate when disabled

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

I am looking it up, and the results I'm finding is disheartening. Yesterday I emailed an immigration lawyer so I'm waiting for his response.

Anyway, for the topic of this thread, I would like to point out that with current immigration laws, even Stephen Hawking cannot immigrate. This is motivated by the welfare system.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

First thing to do is to complete some of those projects and put them live. There are plenty of free server hosts out there you can use purely for an example of your work. Many employers consider completing 'real world' projects as, if not more, important than a college degree.

I appreciate there is an urgency based on your living conditions, which is why a college degree lasting x years may not be the quickest way of proving your abilities, particularly if you can already demonstrate the skills acquired on the full course before reaching the end.

Also, how much is this online degree costing? How is that being funded now?

What languages are you currently learning / proficient with? If you can code the next Facebook, you won't need to be thinking about welfare in any country. I know, that sounds far fetched, but maybe it did to Mr Zuckerberg at one time? Hell, even ATS serves as a (I imagine well paid) full time job for the founders.

If you're willing to provide examples, in U2U or otherwise, I'm genuinely interested in helping you find a more rewarding alternative to searching for western welfare.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I know C, C++, and ASM. In online college I'm going to learn Java and things like source control, technical architecture, etc. I plan on learning C# and Haskell. I know some HTML, but web programming doesn't interest me much. While I'm doing classes, in free time I am teaching myself computer science topics, since it's not covered in my IT degree. I mainly want to be a systems programmer, because I am interested in technology like compilers, linkers, drivers, etc. Low-level stuff is interesting. If I were not disabled I wouldn't mind being a math teacher or a computer science teacher. But then again, if I weren't disabled, the quality of my life wouldn't be so bad.

The online degree costs $52,000, but since I can't go to a physical college, it's the best option I have. A rich relative is helping me with it. In this country without a degree you won't get hired. And since you need work experience to immigrate elsewhere, I have to get a degree.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I do not want welfare, and this isn't about the money. I want to move to the west because cities have infrastructure for the disabled, and I can establish myself and live independently.
edit on 25-10-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

This guy is a great Math teacher (he's not, but it wouldn't matter if he was disabled!) www.khanacademy.org. That's the beauty of the internet. I don't often put much stock into the analytical side of programming but perhaps I should - then again I'm more of an 'ideas man' in the making. I don't want to derail your thread from the welfare issue but I do feel, for someone with your skill set, there is an alternative to negate that problem, and that is in proving your worth with real world projects. A couple months or years of remote working and you could look to move on your own accord, potentially with an employers backing. I'm going to do some research for you and come back later today.

All the best,.

new topics

top topics

join