It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tikaboo Peak weather station and spy camera

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The camera used by the DRI appears to be a Canon VB-C60.
www.usa.canon.com...

The interface has audio capability.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Was up there a few weeks ago, the camera seemed to be keeping a close eye on us. I am completely positive that while it may be up there to "collect weather data", the main reason is to monitor individuals hiking to the peak of Tikaboo. The camera was pointed at us the entire time, at least while it was light out. That camera needs to go!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Taking a look at the weather data, the wind on Dec 1 2011 was brutal. The snow depth indicator is junk. I doubt there are 96 inches of snow on the peak.

www.wrcc.dri.edu...

Now if the DRI put the gear on Badger Mountain, they could helicopter there and fix it. But alas, they put the gear on Tikaboo for some unknown (cough cough) reason, and will now have to wait until spring to reach the site.

There was snow at Badger spring in mid-November, so your hike to the peak must have been difficult, let alone driving to the staging area. Any photos?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
We had a rough hike up, not much snow when we were there a few weeks ago. No photo's snapped, we have been up there so many times it really wasn't why we went up. However, here are some pictures from a few months ago during one of the "meet up's" we attended with other researchers.

Tikaboo Weather Station Photos

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
www.wrcc.dri.edu...

FWIW, the Tikaboo Peak weather station is offline. The last temperature reading was on 6/7/2012.

Don't blame me! I haven't climbed it this year.

Hey wait, maybe they just want us to think it is offline....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
www.wrcc.dri.edu...

The Tikaboo weather station is now operating as of June 26th (2012) at 8AM. No images have been uploaded to the DRI website. Of course, that doesn't mean the camera isn't working. ;-)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It seems the Tikaboo Spy Cam battery, in the words of Dr. McCoy, is dead Jim! It wasn't being charged for a few days and apparently the designers didn't engineer a cutoff circuit to prevent it from being discharged beyond repair.

This is the last photo the station took:

Two things come to mind. One, where is that guy that wanted to stay on Tikaboo for a full year. I think that photo might change his mind. Two, just how soon is the Desert Research Institute going to fix the weather station. Oh, they could have put it on Badger Mountain, just a few miles away, where there is a landing pad for a helicopter. That would make the repair possible during the winter. But wait, they couldn't spy on the Tikaboo climbers from Badger Mountain.

Come on DRI folks, get your snow shoes and fix that weather station stat!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
It seems the Tikaboo Spy Cam battery, in the words of Dr. McCoy, is dead Jim!
Come on DRI folks, get your snow shoes and fix that weather station stat!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
As of January 30th, the Tikaboo weather station is back on line. Hopefully they helicoptered in the schmuck to do the repair. It was a balmy 39 deg F on the peak when the station went back on line.

This link goes to the latest photo from the spy cam.
DRI camera on Tikaboo

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The weather station is down as of Sept 3, 2016. The camera still works.

tika data

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

tika data

I tried searching around on that website for the coordinates of these stations in Nevada.
You have a link?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

tika data

I tried searching around on that website for the coordinates of these stations in Nevada.
You have a link?

Alamo CEMP station info

If you poke around the CEMP website, you can drill down to station locations. But not all weather stations are CEMP sites. I believe all CEMP sites are DRI weather stations.

So a subset of weather stations have GPS coordinates.

start here

Pick a site. Hit go. On the next page, select advanced, then station info.

edit on 5-9-2016 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

raws

Here is a similar website, however I find the data worthless regarding location. The site for the Golden Gate National Recreation Area is in Yosemite.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

tika data

You have a link?

Alamo CEMP station info

If you poke around the CEMP website, you can drill down to station locations. But not all weather stations are CEMP sites. I believe all CEMP sites are DRI weather stations.

So a subset of weather stations have GPS coordinates.

start here

Pick a site. Hit go. On the next page, select advanced, then station info.

From what I can see, the Tikaboo station isn't a CEMP site.
www.wrcc.dri.edu...

I found what I was looking for - the station that Campbell found.
It is listed as "Badger Spring Valley Nevada":
www.wrcc.dri.edu...
37°18'39", -115°16'37"

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

CEMP stations have weather plus radiation measurements.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Funny how there appears to be no urgency to fix the weather station data logger as long as the video link is still working. Er, not that I'm cynical or anything and think the weather station part of the system is just an excuse to have a place to mount the cameras.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

cam is back

The Tikaboo weather reporting and camera is back online. I presume some poor schmuck had picked the short straw and had to make the trek to the peak to repair the station. If only the weather station and camera was on Badger Mountain where they have helicopter access. Then critical weather information would be logged, though they would not be able to watch people on Tikaboo Peak.

Reading the Pahrump Valley Times (which I assume everyone reads!), I came across an article on fire spotting cameras. None really close to the NTTR, but for your entertainment, here is the link:
fire spotting cameras

The Black Mountain camera could see a Janet, but I doubt the resolution is good enough.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
so the pics are from the camera in the dome? have the pics posted changed angle? or is it only when people are up there?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: detachment3
so the pics are from the camera in the dome? have the pics posted changed angle? or is it only when people are up there?

I never bothered to photograph the camera that provide the DRI image. It is a fixed camera. Glenn Campbell did a YouTube video on the site and figured out the model of the DRI camera.

The Canon camera is there to guard the DRI instrumentation. OK, OK, just maybe Groom Lake runs the Canon PTZ to spy on the spies.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join