It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Virus Hits U.S Drone Fleet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wow this really caught my eye! Anwar alwaki or however ya spell his name woud loved to have this happen several days before he was hit!

This is serious because we are talking billion of our tax dollars can't buy a bug free computer! The chinese probably built these things with a secret virus on the hard drive!wired

edit on 25-10-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

This is really old news.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Does it occur to you that maybe this "virus" could be used to carry out the next false flag? Being attacked by our own drone would certainly shock people.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by agentblue

This is really old news.

LMAO!!!!!!! I know I done a search function after the fact! Its odd because I am on ATS maybe 7hrs a day avg and 7 days a week and do not recall ever reading any thread on this subject until after I posted. Strange isn't it....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
WW3 will be a cyber war...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Ok, there is no virus infecting the drones themselves. Title is a bit misleading but it's Wired.com so no surprise.
The ” virus” is a keylogger installed on the computers used to control the drones in flight recording whatever keystrokes are inputted. At this point, provided it's either not on a network or on a closed network, it's more just a nuisance finding where it's embedded itself and removing it than it is a security threat. What should be disconcerting us how it got on the computer entire first place.

For the control computers to become infected it can only happen one of two ways. Firstly, the computer was stupidly connected to the internet where catching this is rather simple. These kinds of malware, for that's what it is moreso than a 'virus', often install themselves silently in the backgrounds possibly vectored through a web ad served up to any website. I, myself, several years ago was infected with a keylogger this same way by this very site. It was definitely one of the more difficult pieces of malware I've had to remove. If this is the case, heads should roll a there should be no reason for these systems to be connected to the internet or anyone to use them to browse the web. If this is how it happened then it's far from a 'cyber-attack' and more just common stupidity bourne of lack of sound judgment.

Secondly, the only other way for the keylogger to infect the pcs in question other than the above started is for someone on the inside with direct access to the pcs to manually infect them, installing from a cd or usb drive. If this is indeed the case and these pcs have no access otherwise to the internet itself, then there is a major security issue at hand. At the very least it's espionage, at the worse it's cyber warfare. Either way it means a traitor among them.

Interesting either way, curious to know the outcome of how the infection occurred.
edit on 10/25/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The F-22's when they were first being deployed to South Korea....never made it.

The official story is they hit the International Date Line and their computers crashed and they had to turn around and head back to Hawaii.

You never know....coulda been a virus as well.

It was a matter of time before somebody put a virus to the Drones. They WERE using off the shelf commercial hardware. Fighter Jockeys aren't smart but they get put into decision making positions in the Air Force.

The Air Force got rid of it's brains/rocket scientists under Clinton. Every swinging jank in the Army was screaming for air surveillance to support each and everyone of them.....so they needed lots of cheap Drones fast.

They were never created to be secure. Just cheap and able to be quickly acquired. The Army wanted it's drones able to land themselves.

Eventually somebody with an IQ of 100 will realize they can do something to bother sensors so when the Army variants try to land themselves they get false data and crash.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Read the article. The drones themselves were not infected with any virus. The pcs used to fly them were infected with a keylogger. Only thing a keylogger does is record keystrokes, and if connected to the internet transmit the recorded logs to a home i.p..

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentblue
LMAO!!!!!!! I know I done a search function after the fact! Its odd because I am on ATS maybe 7hrs a day avg and 7 days a week and do not recall ever reading any thread on this subject until after I posted. Strange isn't it....
At the risk of stating the obvious, wouldn't it have been better to search BEFORE rather than after the fact?

Here is the topic posted in the aircraft forum which is probably a good fit:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join