It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8-year-old Arrested, Taken to Adult Jail For Throwing Basketball at Child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
ESPANOLA, N.M. (AP) � An Espanola third-grader was handcuffed and arrested by police after hitting another student with a basketball, the child's mother and her lawyer say.

"The Legislature never envisioned that the law would be used to lock an 8-year-old in any jail, especially an adult jail," attorney Sheri Raphaelson said.

"This is the most egregious example of poor judgment by police that I've ever seen in my 15 years of practicing law," she said.

According to a juvenile citation for disorderly conduct, Jerry Trujillo was arrested Thursday and booked into the Espanola jail after he "got out of control and refused to go back to class."

Police Chief Richard Guillen, who was not at work Thursday, said he had few details but that officers "couldn't deal with" the boy before taking him into custody.

www.lubbockonline.com...

Heck, even the mother thinks it's poor judgment by the police.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
uncalled for isn't it!

check out the thread posted earlier today..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This doesn't even make the "Top Ten" for Espanola, as a long time resident of New Mexico the list of "News of the Strange" emanating from Espanola never ceases, nor ceases to amaze. They are just down the hill from Los Alamos� cause, or coincidence?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Can you say: ABUSE OF POWER? This is pethetic. They made a crime of a confict between two children. I'm not saying it was right for the boy to hit someone with a ball, IT WAS NOT! What I am Saying is that it didn't require anyone to go to jail over. Detention and a phone call home would have been sufficient to make the point.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorace

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
uncalled for isn't it!

check out the thread posted earlier today..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please redirect comments.

top topics

join