It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's Gone Terribly Wrong With The Republican Party

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I am not understanding the arguement here, how are 'free speech zones' different than what has gone before? Permits have been required for peaceful assembly for a long time no?

Is what is different now that the protestors can't get close to the buildings the conventions are being held at?

Is that an unreasonable and unnacceptable restriction, given that a single person can carry tremendous destructive power on their own bodies now?

There is not a question of protection, because in that instance you would close an area to PROTECT. They do that already.

This idea is to encase protestors in an area where they will be out of sight out of mind. Wasn't America a free speach zone once?

If you want protection over liberty...

well, I think we all know the rest.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

OK, EastCoastKid, I don't now how many people fall for your "I was a republican" bs. I also don't know how many people really believe you where in the military...much less Airborne. You can settle the Airborne issue right now by answering one question. If you are not Airborne, what are you?

Those who know me here, know what I've said about my military experience is true, as well as my party affiliation. I have no need to lie. Your attempt to bait me and to derail this discussion will not work.

Do you have any comments to add regarding the subject of this thread?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

OK, EastCoastKid, I don't now how many people fall for your "I was a republican" bs. I also don't know how many people really believe you where in the military...much less Airborne. You can settle the Airborne issue right now by answering one question. If you are not Airborne, what are you?

Those who know me here, know what I've said about my military experience is true, as well as my party affiliation. I have no need to lie. Your attempt to bait me and to derail this discussion will not work.

Do you have any comments to add regarding the subject of this thread?

Don't try and pull a Clinton. Answer the question and prove you earned your wings. I earned mine in 91. I know the answer to the question: If you are not Airborne what are you?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

OK, EastCoastKid, I don't now how many people fall for your "I was a republican" bs. I also don't know how many people really believe you where in the military...

I can assure you ECK is a long time established member of this community that has been similarly challenged and vetted time and again.

While I'm sure any Vet that speaks out against Bush is used to having their Patriotism, Service and Integrity questioned by now...the continued demands and accusations from Bush supporters simply amaze me.

RANT has vouched for me.

If you have a comment regarding this thread, I welcome it; otherwise, I suggest you find a thread in the mud pit to thrash around in.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by RANT

OK, EastCoastKid, I don't now how many people fall for your "I was a republican" bs. I also don't know how many people really believe you where in the military...

I can assure you ECK is a long time established member of this community that has been similarly challenged and vetted time and again.

While I'm sure any Vet that speaks out against Bush is used to having their Patriotism, Service and Integrity questioned by now...the continued demands and accusations from Bush supporters simply amaze me.

RANT has vouched for me.

If you have a comment regarding this thread, I welcome it; otherwise, I suggest you find a thread in the mud pit to thrash around in.

The answer to the question is a "leg". As a proud member of the military who has earned his wings, I know that if you are not Airborne you are a leg, a dirty, nasty, leg. If you were Airborne you would have known that, but you are not. You have been exposed. That is weak, and Kerryesque to try to pass yourself off as something you are not. That is why Kerry has no chance in this election.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Carseller4,

Back off, over and over EastCoastKid has shown his credentials in other post, if you had done a search this would not had been brought up by you.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Carseller4,

Back off, over and over EastCoastKid has shown his credentials in other post, if you had done a search this would not had been brought up by you.

Marg, I think Carseller4 has one sole purpose. To disrupt. It's pretty unmistakeable. I've invited him/her to share their views on the subject of this thread. I think Carseller4 has proven my original point.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
What I find most incredible is everyone has now flip flopped over to Bush's side on Iraq. Kerry was once against going into Iraq. Now he's all for it. I believe McCain was to. Am I correct? The point I'm making is that it seems the Republicans are turning everyone over on their side making everyone believe that they are correct. I think ECK is right. Something has gone terribly wrong with the Republican Party.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Kerry's whole position on the war has been DUMB and wrong from the get-go.
He had an excellent opportunity to appeal to the anti-war voters, when asked if he'd support the war knowing now what he didn't then. He blew that one. If I were him, I would have simply said, NO. Go figure.

As for McCain et al.. their sole allegience is to the party. Obviously. What more do we need to know? McCain should have ran with Kerry on a national unity ticket. It would've been fun to watch the two REAL war heroes trounce the fakes.
But Noooo! Bighead McCain ain't gonna be anyone' second banana.

After the smear campaign Rove/Bush pulled on McCain in SC, anyone w/a brain would've thought he'd jump at the chance to unseat the unscrupulous BushCo.

Oh well. Bidness as usual, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
This idea is to encase protestors in an area where they will be out of sight out of mind.

Is it that or is it to prevent protestors from disrupting the meetings, like has happened with the global trade meetings?

Frankling said that people who give up essential liberties for a small degree of temporary safety don't deserve liberties or safety. Restricting where protestors can protest is not giving up an essential liberty.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
This idea is to encase protestors in an area where they will be out of sight out of mind.

Is it that or is it to prevent protestors from disrupting the meetings, like has happened with the global trade meetings?

They are afraid to be confronted by anyone who disagrees with them. They know how wrong they are. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Frankling said that people who give up essential liberties for a small degree of temporary safety don't deserve liberties or safety. Restricting where protestors can protest is not giving up an essential liberty.

Why then, in the past, has this never occurred before? Gathering to protest is a right guarenteed by the FIRST AMMENDMENT. That is most certainly an essential liberty.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The GOP convention was a hate-fest 100% Bush's speech last night was beyond Orwellian. Democrat Zig Zag Zell Miller's speech was not just the keynote, but the most reprehensible nonsense that I have heard in years.

As an aside, It's truly sad how the Republicans have so exploited Reagan's memory for their benefit. (A lot of Democrats and swing voters loved Reagan, too.) Based on the tepid response of the delegates to Michael Reagan, I'd say they simply pay bigtime lip service to the Gipper. Proof positive that this is NOT the party of Reagan.

Here's a good article:

Mad as Zell
By Jeremy McCarter
The New Republic

Thursday 02 September 2004

John Kerry is a spineless Massachusetts liberal. As president, he would raise taxes on farms, families, puppies, and rainbows. He wants to send our boys into combat barefoot, with sticks. Also he puts razors in Halloween candy. John Kerry wets the bed.

This is the general impression left by Wednesday's program at the Republican Convention. Until now, the convention has kept up a mask of jolly inclusiveness. Even the first part of last night's program, "A Land of Opportunity," stuck mostly to the banal pageantry that made Tuesday such a bore: small business extolled, minorities carefully deployed, etc. But the mask would have to drop sooner or later, and last night down it came-revealing the face of the emperor from Return of the Jedi.

Zell Miller might not be the most disgraceful politician in America, but last night he delivered the most disgraceful piece of political rhetoric in years. Introduced as "the conscience of the Democratic Party," the former segregationist unleashed half an hour of breathtaking, conscience-free smears. (Miller's party-bashing is the political equivalent of a man-bites-dog story; by making him the keynote speaker, the convention turned itself into a kind of long-form tabloid.) He could have broken from his party over first principles, more in sorrow than in anger. Instead he stuck with lies, like saying Kerry has vowed to use force only with U.N. approval, and distortions, like treating the loony left as the mainstream Democratic position. This is the kind of intellectual dishonesty that led John McCain to call out Michael Moore three nights ago. (For further dismantling of Miller's speech, click here.)
www.truthout.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The New Republic article makes a really good point about Zell's 'conversion'.

I am so sorry he did not just become an independent... If he felt the dems were going off the map to the left, there was an awful lot of ground between there and off the map to the far right. I would have had some respect for that.

EastCoast, I too, used to be a Republican. I have even voted for some of them, including the first Bush the first time. I defended Nixon during Watergate, but after his resignation, I felt as if he had personally let me down.

I was 'hurt' by what Clinton did, but his lies -the ones he was impeached for- were not about "subverting the system." Nixon tried to tamper with the election process - a greater wrong in my eyes. GW's lies have gotten people killed. How can that not be the worst of all???

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1

I was 'hurt' by what Clinton did, but his lies -the ones he was impeached for- were not about "subverting the system." Nixon tried to tamper with the election process - a greater wrong in my eyes. GW's lies have gotten people killed. How can that not be the worst of all???

Clinton lied, no one died. I've heard that a lot. Clinton, too, has much to answer for. And he will one day. For whatever reason, though, he refused the Neo-Conservatives' call to make war on Iraq. They lobbied his administration fiercely and the best the got out of him was the continued sanctions and no-fly zone actions.

I used to detest Clinton with every fiber of my being. At this point, after seeing the hubris and hostility of the Bush administration, I'd say BushCo. is far worse. Far more dangerous.

It's funny, I was just saying to my friend last night, George Dubya's presidency makes his father's look outstanding. (I supported him, tho he was no Reagan.) And he was a far more qualified and competent commander-in-chief. I had every confidence in his leadership, which was going down when I was in the Army. George Dubya can't even begin to be compared to his father on that count. (Probly b/c his father had real war experience as a fighter jock in World War II.)

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I don't know about all that ms. Marg but perhaps the Reform party will become more popular in a decade or so. McCain tho, is obviously a Party loyalist (I don't mean that in a derogatory way). Buchanon was the Reform candidate in double naught right? Anyone know who the most likely nominee is now?

In double naught, by the way, the Reform party suffered a real, probably crippling setback. Ironically enough, it boiled down to politics. There was an old guard (you might say) and a new guard, which was basically buchannon and his supporters. The old guarders said that Buch. was illegaly stealing the nomination, and, when they couldn't do anything about it, split the party. They went over to the Natural Law Party, which, as I understand it, is popular in Europe, and very much new agey. Sorta like the Swami School of Busines, but a political party instead. Perhaps they are the next up and comers.

The 'big' question is what happens with the green party. I beleive right now they are technically split into two seperate 'green' parties. But they don't seem to be backing a candidate this year. One has to wonder, if they promote such radicalism normally, but then cave in now to support the dems, why would anyone not just stay in the dems? I mean, if all the green voters left that party and got as invovled in it as they are in teh green party, then the democratic party would probably have a different nominee or a different platform no? If a third party can overtake or even influence one of the major parties, then whats the sense in it?

Is there a viable 3rd party out there? it doesn't seem so. There 2 major parties know that their time has come to fall apart, but they are using every ounce of thier strength to squash the little parties. And when they do inevitably fall, I hope we the people have the foresight to install a true multi-party system.

The world isn't black and white!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join