It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deforestation in PNG - 60% of rainforest destroyed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Confronting forest crime in Papua New Guinea‏

Greenpeace ship the Esperanza has joined local landowners to confront forest crime in the remote Pomio province in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Yesterday, the Espy crew took action against a ship loading stolen timber bound for China. The activity was met with hostility from the logging company but welcomed by local communities who want to see an end to a scandalous scheme called 'Special-purpose Agriculture and Business Leases' or SABLs. SABLs allow land to be stolen for 99 years and forests to be destroyed forever.

While over 60% of PNG’s diverse rainforests have already been destroyed, the situation is becoming even more critical. The introduction of SABLs will destroy over 5 million hectares of PNG’s remaining forests and, along with it, the homes and livelihoods of hundreds of traditional communities.

Earlier this month, the notorious Malaysia logging company, Rimbunan Hijau, paid police to fly into Pomio villages and silence the protesters. They abused people with fan belts and sticks and locked young men in shipping containers. Like many leases, the Pomio SABL was fraudulently obtained and many of the names said to have approved the lease were of local children – one was as young as three.

(Image courtesy of Greenpeace.)

Its a disgusting trend around the world. Many people in PNG depend on their diverse rainforests, but that doesnt stop huge corporations removing all the plant matter for huge profit.. remember "profit over people".
If these governing world bodies really cared they would stop things like this from happening, the fact they dont is testament to the fact that money controls everyone.

RELATED LINKS:
www.guardian.co.uk...
wwf.panda.org...
www.tropmed.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know what to say, other than this topic makes me extremely angry and sad, not to mention helpless.
Nothing annoys me more than deforestation/raping of the earth, but hey, that's pretty much our purpose - to # the earth!

Can you believe 100 species become extinct EVERYDAY because of mankind?
I've said this so many times, money is beneath all this evil and destruction of the earth.
There's too many people with too much greed.

I wanna cry when I think of Earth in 100 years.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
With PNG its not just rainforests, its mines and even animals that are abused as well. The entire environment over there is horrible because there are absolutely no rehabilition processes. If you ever go to PNG you will notice that you never see any animals, theyve all been hunted out or killed off around the towns. Mines constantly pollute their water supllies with their waste, all because someone higher up the chain wants a bit more money.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Do these timber companies ever think, if we cut down all these trees how will we breathe? I guess money will help them breathe when there's nothing left.

I was just saying how I think homes should be built with concrete and cylinder blocks. It costs more, because everyone wants wood. But there is more rock than trees. Rocks have no intelligent life in them, just minerals. Trees are needed for every living thing. People are crazy and greedy. Can't wait for when the meek shall inherit the earth.

new topics

top topics

join