It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern LIghts over Crown Point Indiana Right Now!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
OMG! A huge red aurora over Crown Point (northwest Indiana) it is so surreal, I'm trying to get pics wow! BRB

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
they are here in barrie ontario too! i just made a thread about it haha

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
OMG! A huge red aurora over Crown Point (northwest Indiana) it is so surreal, I'm trying to get pics wow! BRB

lucky you! i haven't seen them in many years. they are truly awesome!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Wow, cool.
Ours was bright green, then a ray of like bright like then everything turned red. I never though I would see them cool! Still going, brb...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
illinois valley too.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Weird, can't see any from Hobart.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

We have them in Kansas too!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by idisi

Where in KS?

link   

We were hit with a CME today so that might be the cause of the lights so enjoy them
(second line)

link   
Red lights in Central WV, to the west. Broken up by the closest towns' lights. Cool none the less.
2nd

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSnowman

There is nothing right now except for a ton of what looks like smoke now? Why is that? Condensation?
There are a bunch of small shooting stars in that direction too, do solar flares knock particles into our atmosphere?
I'm sure there will be more!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
According to
spaceweather.com...

AURORAS IN THE USA--NOW! Northern Lights have spilled across the Canadian border into the contiguous USA. Observers report auroras as far south as Ohio: image. The display was caused by the CME impact described below.

CME IMPACT: A CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Oct. 24th at approximately 1800 UT (02:00 pm EDT). Acording to analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the impact caused a strong compression of Earth's magnetic field, allowing solar wind to penetrate all the way down to geosynchronous orbit for a brief period between 19:06 UT and 19:11 UT. Earth-orbiting spacecraft could have been directly exposed to solar wind plasma during that time.

Everybody get outside now!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Oh My God there are huge Blue Balls over Cedar Lake, IN aka Cedartucky.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

RT @severestudios: Twitter exploding with reports of Northern Lights sightings from Michigan to Arkansas and Nebraska.

www.breakingnews.com...

I'm in Southern NY and can't see the colors, but the sky to the north is a heck of a lot brighter than to the south.
edit on 24-10-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Where did this CME come from?? I'm missing something here and I'm far from new to the subject.... Help??

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

I don't even see record of any events in the last 5 days. So ...ummm.... Huh?! What am I missing about where a hit like this comes from?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well there is this:www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Where did this CME come from?? I'm missing something here and I'm far from new to the subject.... Help??

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

I don't even see record of any events in the last 5 days. So ...ummm.... Huh?! What am I missing about where a hit like this comes from?

Could it be caused by a coronal hole? Is there any massive coronal holes currently act9ive on the sun that could be causing this? they stated Solar winds... that's why I thought about Coronal Holes...

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

N3KL.org reports normal but look at this pic:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Yeah, the pics across the spectrum of the sun are interesting right now. I'd always just assumed that a BIG storm like 1859 would be preceded by a high X class event off the sun. This suggests that may not precede a moderate/high geomagnetic storm..... I am sure there is some logical explanation but for my own curiosity in watching for the million:1 chance of an 1859 repeat, I'd sure love to have someone suggest it...

Where is Phage when one really needs his input. His range of knowledge on these subjects seems professional.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Is there any reason for all the shooting stars from where the lights were? Does anyone know?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join