It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All hope is lost !!! (not doom and gloom)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I have always been a hopeful person, seeing the bright side of pretty much any situation. But now I'm seeing "hope" in a completly different light. After watching the below video I've come to the conclusion that hope is a disease that plauges us all!

Near the end of this video he kept saying he was going to do some "hope" bashing alittle later, I was dumbfounded as to why in the world someone would want to bash on hope. But after listening to what he had to say, my perspective has completly changed.

(The entire video is fantastic but to skip to the part about 'hope' go to 1:14:00 )

Hope v. (definition.com)
-To wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment

The definition the audience provides in the video is this
Hope v.
A longing for a future condition to which you have no agency

I believe this is closer to how we use the word today. When we say that we have 'hope' for somthing, we usually do absolutly nothing to make sure what we're hoping for actually comes true. We just leave it up for fate to decide.

People say:
I HOPE that guy broke down on the side of the road is okay.
I HOPE I get that new job promotion
I HOPE my marriage works out

If there are thoughts you have that you 'hope' to come true, then you should replace the word 'hope' with this phase.

"I will do everything in my power to make sure"

So now those previous staments would read:
I will do everything in my power to make sure that guy broke down is okay
I will do everything in my power to make sure I get that job promotion
I will do everything in my power to make sure my marriage works out

This is pretty much elaborating on the old saying
"Hope in one hand , sh*t in the other and see which one fills up faster."

Saying hopeing gets absolutly nothing done while you dont want to sh*t in your hand but atleast your doing SOMTHING to fill your hands!!

So lets bring an end to all hope, so we can actually get somthing done.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I dont have the means to watch the video right now, but I think I follow. Like you said, hope is wasting your energy when you could be using it to get closer to the goal you want. It is very unproductive, and, destructive. I fully agree.
Two hands working can do more than any number clasped in prayer.
edit on 24-10-2011 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by smashdem

agreed.

I beleive prayer has its place, because prayer used correctly works the same as meditation.
In prayer and meditation, you sit quietly refelecting inward. Many revelations can be founf through prayer/ meditation.

But at the end of the day if there is work to be done, just hopeing that it will happen wont do [snip] to get it done.

But now using the phrase I provided to replace the word hope should do wonders if people actually use it.

ETA: whenever you have a chance to watch the video, its WELL worth the time spent.

new topics

join