It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Hijacks Olympic Glory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Source Daily Mail Aug 31,2004

Opening Paragraph

British athletes could have to compete under the Euopean flag at future Olympics in a remarkable attempt by Brussels to hijack their success.
EU leaders want all member countries to carry the blue 12-star banner as well as their own flag, starting at the next Games in Beijing.
Behind the Move is a desire to present the United States of Europe as the world's major sporting power.

How dare the EU seek to hijack the Glory the athletes have brought to their own countries!

Quote from European Commission President Romano Prodi

''In 2008 I hope to see the EU member states teams in Beijing carry the flag of the European Union alongside their own national flag as a symbol of our unity''

I think this goes to show that the EU seeks to control each and every country in one shape or form, will the EU stop at nothing to gain ever more control!

[edit on 31-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
it's a great idea!! it shows europe as a unified people who are at peace and are working together at the olympics to achieve glory for Europe!!!

I don't see why the athletes can't be under the EU banner as well have the emblem of their nation on them as well. But I think this will make Europe a world power at the olympics, doesn't that make you proud? Doesn't it make you proud that all nations of Europe share in the glory of England's achievements in the olympics? Doesn't it make you proud that you could be proud of a German, French or Lithuanian athlete winning Gold at the olympics for Europe as a whole?

By arguing that it takes away from your nations glory you could also argue that the notion of nationalism takes away from the individual athletes glory. Why not have no nations at the olympics, just the individual? because when they win it makes us feel proud and happy. And if Europe sent a unified team all those athletes can make everyone proud.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
drfunk,

with respect, what you are suggesting is no different than saying US athletes should be require to compete under the United Nations flag.. after all the US is a member of the UN after all, right?

I assure you it is no different. We don't represent Europe. Europe is a land-mass, not a nation. The EU is nothing but a political structure, and politics has no place in sport.

EDIT: just noticed you location.. how about the Aussie rugby team merge with the All Blacks (with a few argentinians thrown in for good measure? Then you could represent the United Southern Hemisphere!!

see what I mean?

[edit on 31/8/04 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wondeful idea!!! i think, that after millenia of internal fighting and disagreement, its about time europe combined to be a power... its such a small area yet there is so much conflict... Holding the European flag as well as the countries flag is a brilliant idea to show how europe is combined as one power and is supporting instead of killing each other...

at least it wasnt anything like bush hijacking the Iraqi soccer teams achievements

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Wondeful idea!!! i think, that after millenia of internal fighting and disagreement, its about time europe combined to be a power... its such a small area yet there is so much conflict... Holding the European flag as well as the countries flag is a brilliant idea to show how europe is combined as one power and is supporting instead of killing each other...

What fighting? what killing?. No European country has gone to war with another in 60 years! We don't need some new artificial structure to "unite" the people. We get along with each other just fine already.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here is my question: What happens if say France decides it does not want to carry the EU flag? (not likely I realize because the EU is really France resurecting its glory days)

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Maybe next we can combine the entire world into the American Union, the European Union, and the Pacific Union. Then, there would be just 3 big superpowers in the world!! Yay!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I see that this 'ere European Union must be some kind of singularity. Give me its address and Ill give it a piece of my mind.

I just noticed this was from the Daily Mail......... If youre not British, trust me you need no further explanation. This is our nationalist xenophobic upper class rag that runs on the fuel of disruption. The usual.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Here is my question: What happens if say France decides it does not want to carry the EU flag? (not likely I realize because the EU is really France resurecting its glory days)

LOL. It would depend on how the people felt. In Great Britain (to use our Olympic name) I'd imagine the logo would be dropped. It's not worth losing votes over such an issue. To be honest though there's no way this is going to go through. Britain for one would veto such an idea from the start. In fact I don't even think it could possibly have any legal or binding basis.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
What fighting? what killing?. No European country has gone to war with another in 60 years! We don't need some new artificial structure to "unite" the people. We get along with each other just fine already.

Oh so 60 years negates millenia of fighting between tribes, kingdoms, nations etc... and when you say no european country has gone to war with another, you may be right, but there is still conflict and agression in europe (more eastern than western), but to me it sound likes the Brits just dont want to be part of the party... i say the EU kick britain out and let them join the American Union, then everyone would be happier!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If the EU countries want to go to the Oylmpics to represent the EU then there should be a EU team. No France,Germany,UK,Spain runners etc... in the 100m sprint just one EU runner. Not ten or twenty different runners all running for the EU. It would be like every state in the US getting to put their own athlete in every event, or Canada putting athletes up for each of their territories

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I dont see what the big deal is really, its only carrying a flag... its not like the Athletes will be competing as the EU is it? Coz if they are going to compete and win inder the EU banner then i say no... if its only carrying a flag as a symbol, then go for it, i think its a great idea

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
If the EU countries want to go to the Oylmpics to represent the EU then there should be a EU team. No France,Germany,UK,Spain runners etc... in the 100m sprint just one EU runner. Not ten or twenty different runners all running for the EU. It would be like every state in the US getting to put their own athlete in every event, or Canada putting athletes up for each of their territories

Doing this would take all the EU countries, with individual teams, and reduce them to one team that goes to the Olympics, that they'll all have to compete for spots on. You'll end up with less Europeans at the Olympics to win medals in the first place, not more.

Imagine how huge the U.S. presence at the Olympics would be if all 50 States and D.C. had their own teams to compete...

But hey, I live in the U.S., so it isn't my issue. Good luck figuring that out you guys! Just be sure you've decided on one or the other way to do it by 2008...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
muppet,

I would love for the Wallabies to merge with the All Blacks!! Together we would be unstoppable and glory for both our nations!!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
all the EU wants is for the European nations to be EU as well as their nations teams!

So I believe they mean that all nations would keep their teams but they would be EU as well as their respective nations

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
ughhh whats the big deal, people???!!

We ARE European Union, time to start acting like one. Carying the european flag is a good idea.
In case you all missed it, the article says everyone will still be carying their own country flags too. So, nobody is hijacking your oh-so-precious british national pride.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
We ARE European Union, time to start acting like one. Carying the european flag is a good idea.
In case you all missed it, the article says everyone will still be carying their own country flags too. So, nobody is hijacking your oh-so-precious british national pride.

With respect paperclip you of all people should be aware of the dangers inherent in artificial unity. Maybe Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia etc should put aside THEIR "oh-so-precious national pride" compete under the flag of Yugoslavia? I'm sure that would be a popular move, after all you ARE all Yugoslavian by birth, right?!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I just noticed this was from the Daily Mail......... If youre not British, trust me you need no further explanation. This is our nationalist xenophobic upper class rag that runs on the fuel of disruption. The usual.

Not true, there is nothing wrong with reading the Daily Mail or the Mail on Sunday
What would you have me read? Maybe a yob paper like The Sun (that's what it is) or maybe some broadsheet that is full of pro-left wing propaganda.

-----------

I think it's funny that people out-side of Europe want a united EU, but the people inside Europe are split on the idea

[edit on 1-9-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
ahh now i understand. It's really the right-wing nationalists who are opposed to the European Union??

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
ahh now i understand. It's really the right-wing nationalists who are opposed to the European Union??

So everyone who is against the EU is a right-wing nationalist

How wrong you are!
Those against the EU want freedom for their nations, they don't want to be controlled by a bunch of fat cat politcians who want all the wealth for themselves. They want to be led by their own leaders, not those chosen by people from another country.

But if i have to be branded a nationalist to support withdrawing from the EU, then so be it! I am proud of my country, i am proud of it's people and i am proud of what my great country stands for: freedom, equality and justice!

New European Alliances - Freedom from the EU

top topics

<<   2 >>

join