It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALICE in the sky with aluminum nanos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Detecting nanometer size particles is an ongoing endeavor. It is particularly challenging in the human environment without autopsy and even then remains challenging.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

However, with the exception of fluorescently tagged synthetic particles, the small size of nanoparticles puts them beyond the limit of detection of about 200 nm using conventional bright-field light microscopy techniques.

As an alternative, application of electron microscopy (EM) in NP studies has grown considerably in the past few years and remains the "gold standard" for many NP studies as this technology can easily observe particles below 100 nm in size. Unfortunately, EM is costly, labor intensive, limited to materials with sufficient electron density contrast, and primarily restricted to fixed specimens.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.freepatentsonline.com...

blogs.physicstoday.org...

www.nanotechnologydevelopment.com...

what-when-how.com...

www.faqs.org...

www.wisegeek.com...

www.csrees.usda.gov...

www.mdpi.com...

www.bio-equip.cn...

www.measurementmedia.com...

www.nature.com...

www.freepatentsonline.com...

To all those talking about jet fuels - you'll have to wait for my next thread.
To all those talking about bulk aluminum - please review the topic.

edit on 3-11-2011 by luxordelphi because: Respond to comments.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Back to the OP. If the aluminum nanoparticles are being burnt, then what's the problem? Then they won't be engineered nano-particles any more. They will be aluminum oxide vapor, then condense out as aluminum oxide crystals.

So what's the problem?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus
Back to the OP. If the aluminum nanoparticles are being burnt, then what's the problem? Then they won't be engineered nano-particles any more. They will be aluminum oxide vapor, then condense out as aluminum oxide crystals.

So what's the problem?

So Mr. Uncinus: what exactly is aluminum oxide vapor? And as far as what an engineered nanometer sized particle will be or will not be - please review the OP and I also recommend my other thread on this subject (cloud seeding with nanos - ask the kids) which has answered all of your questions. Nice talkin' at ya!
edit on 3-11-2011 by luxordelphi because: Correct spelling.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Aluminum oxide vapor is aluminum oxide in the form of gas. i.e it is individual molecules of aluminum oxide in the air.

Aluminum oxide boils at 2,977C, Aluminum boils at 2467, the ALICE rockets burn at 3,800C, and produce aluminum oxide. Hence any aluminum or aluminum oxide will be vaporized.

Hence no engineered nano-particle.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Aluminum oxide vapor is aluminum oxide in the form of gas. i.e it is individual molecules of aluminum oxide in the air

I'll just encourage you once more to read the OP article. It's not long and it's written for public consumption. Here...I found a sports related example:

NANOOZE

A nanometer is used to measure things that are very small. Atoms and molecules, the smallest pieces of everything around us, are measured in nanometers.

For example a water molecule is less than one nanometer. A typical germ is about 1,000 nanometers. We can measure even larger things in nanometers, so a hair is about 100,000 nanometers wide. That is a lot of nanometers! Shaquille O’Neal, a very tall basketball player, is 2,160,000,000 nanometers tall.

Restating portions of the OP link:

www.spacenews.com...

NASA, for example, “can’t launch the space shuttle until the wind is blowing off shore” because the shuttle’s engines “produce tons and tons” of hydrochloric acid, which is harmful to humans, Birkan said.

An engine fueled with ALICE emits hydrogen and aluminum oxide, which Birkan said is relatively innocuous.

“Aluminum oxide is not something we want to be coating everything with, but not as bad” as hydrochloric acid, Pourpoint said.

But previous attempts to make aluminum and water fuels foundered on the size of the aluminum particles that were used, Birkan said.

What is new here is “nano aluminum particles. That’s completely different from anything that has been done before,” he said.

“The key in here is nano aluminum,” Pourpoint said. “If you do the same thing with micron-size aluminum, it will not work.”

(unrelated note: please note that NASA, the Air Force and assorted scientists have no problem using the word nano)

The key words in all this would be "new" and "completely different from anything that has been done before." So before you start saying what is and what isn't, I would pause and reflect on these words.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yes, because Nano has an actual scientific meaning, because it is a measurement based on size.

But the chemtrailers like to appropriate it and give it a sinister connotation, and stick it before anything as some kind of catchall prefix to denote something is bad.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Yes I guess some do . I also note that you do everything in your power to say that nano's are benign. Tho you have no proof . You simply believe that your right just as those who disagree with you say you might be wrong. So your beliefs are yours and they hold no more water than those who disagree with you. That is a fact !!!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by firepilot

Yes I guess some do . I also note that you do everything in your power to say that nano's are benign. Tho you have no proof . You simply believe that your right just as those who disagree with you say you might be wrong. So your beliefs are yours and they hold no more water than those who disagree with you. That is a fact !!!

Nano is just a measurement, just like Kilo, deci, milli, etc. Thats all, just a scientific measurement in the metric system. 10 x to -9 power, is somehow automatically sinister how?

Its you chemtrailers who are trying to give it some kind of connotation other than it being a measurement. All it means it a billionth, and in technology, its just means something on the scale of 1 to 100 nanometers.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
The key words in all this would be "new" and "completely different from anything that has been done before." So before you start saying what is and what isn't, I would pause and reflect on these words.

But clearly these "new" particles are going to be burnt or vaporized. So what's the problem?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join